Marantz HD-DAC1
Sep 30, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #571 of 1,283
Using Foobar with Windows 10 via USB and no problem at all reading any files (MP3, FLAC, ALAC, SACD, etc). No dropout at all. It is weird ... maybe there is a problem with your configuration but I do not think it is a problem with the Marantz.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #572 of 1,283
I'm on Windows 7 and USB btw. I think this is the "unlocked" problem that has been so buggy with this unit. 

Going to restart computer/HD DAC and see what that does. I did download the driver from the Marantz site and installed it before I even hooked up the HD DAC. 

EDIT: No help. Too tired to deal with this now; going to watch Netflix and see if this is just a Foobar thing. Hate to replace Foobar but...

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #573 of 1,283
Ok...it's not just Foobar. The sound cuts out on everything. When I'm even not listening to or watching anything (no audio signal) the DAC relay will click on and off like it's trying to find a signal and keeps displaying "unlocked". Faulty unit? 
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #574 of 1,283
Never happened to me .

However, too many infos are missing. Have you installed the asio plug in ? Do you need dsd playback, (so that you should first congigure foobar with the relevant  plugs ?

Anyway, the way to go in these cases, is to  delete  and then make a new clean Foobar installation. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes ...

All in all, up yo now I've found Marantz's drivers very stable with no problems at all. It is something that you 're doing wrong ...

edit : I didn't notice your latest posts ...try to change the usb cable ... hope yours is not longer than 6 feet ...

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #575 of 1,283
  Never happened to me .

However, too many infos are missing. Have you installed the asio plug in ? Do you need dsd playback, (so that you should first congigure foobar with the relevant  plugs ?

Anyway, the way to go in these cases, is to  delete  and then make a new clean Foobar installation. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes ...

All in all, up yo now I've found Marantz's drivers very stable with no problems at all. It is something that you 're doing wrong ...

edit : I didn't notice your latest posts ...try to change the usb cable ... hope yours is not longer than 6 feet ...

Yea, it's with every application: video/sound through browser, media players, etc. not just Foobar. I reinstalled the Marantz driver; no help. I'm going to change the USB cable, but it's the same one that worked with my DacMagic so I don't know why it would be the issue now.

Really want to get this to work properly because I think it's just a computer problem and returning and replacing the HD DAC will not solve it. 

EDIT:  Guys, please don't hurt me...it was the USB cord!!! 
blink.gif

In detail, I had the old USB cord hooked upped to a USB hub (a cheapo one at that). NO idea why that was fine for the DacMagic's data stream, but it just isn't fast enough in data transfer for the Marantz (playing Redbook and not "hi res" files too). 

So, put the USB cord right into the back of the computer USB out (I have a lot of devices hooked up to the computer and only 4 direct USB outs, hence the hub) and poof! cut out due to lack of steady data flow gone! Duh!! 
blink.gif
 (In my defense: 11 hour work day on 3 1/2 - 4 hours of sleep...the 8th long work day in a row...damn quarterly paper work). 

So thanks to Spiro for the tip (I was about to check that out, but really didn't think it was the factor...hell, I thought the DacMagic was directly hooked into the computer and I just unhooked the USB from the DacMagic and put it right into the Marantz). 

Now to go rediscover my thousands of albums...
biggrin.gif

Briefly the SQ I find to be pretty neutral. The horrid congestion/lack of air I had with the M-Stage (original stock) is gone; this set up is definitely more open and musical. I've got the gain on Med with the T1's. Plenty of power; the 12:00 position will blow my ears off with pretty much any genre. 

I even find this thing kind of "dry"; not hearing a lot of warmth, which is kind of what I prefer (neutral, but not veiled or overly muddy/warm nor too cold or clinical). I think it's more of a "natural" sound than anything else; need a lot more listening with a lot of genres though. There is some sibilance in the treble but nothing that bugs me. Seems to be a good all-rounder: I've thrown rock, pop, jazz and classical at it so far and it sounds great with all. 

Off tomorrow; see how long I can stay awake with my new toy. 
beyersmile.png

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #576 of 1,283
  There is some sibilance in the treble but nothing that bugs me. Seems to be a good all-rounder: I've thrown rock, pop, jazz and classical at it so far and it sounds great with all. 

Is this sibilance something you would particularly address to HD-DAC1 or was already there but got more pronounced now? Also which HPs are you using? Sibilance would be a red flag alert for my ears  
frown.gif

Oct 3, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #577 of 1,283
Hello, I have Sennheiser HD 598 and I listen to all types of music, mostly from the 70's and 80's, heavy metal, rock, disco, synth-pop, orchestral... I want to buy head-amp/DAC, with different inputs (optical, coaxial, XLR, RCA) so that I can connect my PC, CD and Blu-ray players. Right now I'm thinking about MARANTZ HD-DAC1 and SENNHEISER HDVD 800. Which one would you recommend and why? THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #578 of 1,283
  it's connected to my pc which I use while working and listening to music. The relay is constantly clicking on and off due to things I'm doing on my pc

Can you please explain this part to me a bit more? I'm thinking about buying HD-DAC1 as a head-amp for my headphones and as DAC for my PC, to connect it with optical cable.
When I listen to audio files from my PC, I always do other stuff at the same time, clicking non-stop. So what exactly can I expect to hear from HD-DAC1 while connected to PC via optical, and why?
Thank you very much.

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #579 of 1,283

Is this sibilance something you would particularly address to HD-DAC1 or was already there but got more pronounced now? Also which HPs are you using? Sibilance would be a red flag alert for my ears  
frown.gif

Yes, definitely more pronounced. But that's partly because the M-Stage was just so muffled/muddy that it didn't really have an articulate top end...it wasn't even there to be sibilant lol. Compared to the EF-1 (my amp that quit on me precipitating buying the HD DAC 1) however, it's definitely harder highs. 

Cans are T1's as noted above. Also, I have perfect hearing (get tested every year) so I hear all the way up to 20hz. 

Can you please explain this part to me a bit more? I'm thinking about buying HD-DAC1 as a head-amp for my headphones and as DAC for my PC, to connect it with optical cable.
When I listen to audio files from my PC, I always do other stuff at the same time, clicking non-stop. So what exactly can I expect to hear from HD-DAC1 while connected to PC via optical, and why?
Thank you very much.

For me, every time the audio source changes, there is a soft click. Thus, if I go from listening to music on Foobar to watching in-browser media (Netflix, Youtube, news video, etc.) or an independent video file via a media player (like a blu ray movie or downloaded video) there is a click each time I change the audio source.  

It's a little annoying, but no deal killer imo. I'm largely immune to the "clicks when shifting from different bit rates in music files bug" as most of my collection is Redbook and I usually listen to full albums anyway and don't shuffle tracks (which might have different bit rates). 

I'm still listening to the HD DAC to let my view of it "burn in" if you will (no hasty judgments), but my impression hasn't changed much since my first listen. There are things I like about it and things I don't like so much. It's a good unit, but I'm surprised it's not better (I was expecting great, not just good sound) and I'm finding its SS not really as most others describe. More on this later. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #580 of 1,283
I've read most of this thread, I'll try to read everything. Today I've found HD-DAC1 from a trusted seller for 50% of the usual price!! Brand new, silver version. Seller says that it's made in 2015 - so being from the later (latest?) batch, can I expect it won't have that clicks/hum issues? Thanks in advance for your replies!

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #581 of 1,283
  I've read most of this thread, I'll try to read everything. Today I've found HD-DAC1 from a trusted seller for 50% of the usual price!! Brand new, silver version. Seller says that it's made in 2015 - so being from the later (latest?) batch, can I expect it won't have that clicks/hum issues? Thanks in advance for your replies!

It will always have the clicking relays. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back