Marantz HD-DAC1
Jul 13, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #459 of 1,283
Is the output completely discrete on the dac1? I know that it utilizes technology from Marantz's other lines (HDAM-SA2).

As far as I am aware, yes.  I can't locate the sources now, but from memory the VAS (voltage amplification section) in the headphone amp is indeed the HDAM-SA2, which is one of Marantz' own discrete opamp creations.  The power output section consists of discrete Darlington power transistors, I recall reading somewhere...

Feedback is only employed over the VAS, leaving the output trannies floating.  This configuration is also referred to as zero global feedback (not to be confused with no feedback at all).  Alleged advantages are a higher bandwidth and better slew rate.

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #460 of 1,283
  Hi guys has their been any direct comparisons with the marantz na-11s1 dac sections?

I have an SA-11S3, which I assume has a very similar DAC setup to the NA-11S1.

Summarising, I would say comparing it with the HD-DAC1 there is a definite family resemblance (call it the "Marantz house sound" if you wish).  The SA-11S3 definitely has the edge when it comes to definition (especially spatial definition), and IMHO sufficiently so to merit the price premium.

Also the SA-11S3 has a user configurable noise shaping filter, which allows for a very subtle but audible adjustment.  The HD-DAC1 lacks this facility.

More interesting though (especially to head-fi-ers) is that the headphone amp section of the HD-DAC1 is significantly better than the headphone output on the SA-11S3 (which is no slouch either!).  Again I would assume the headphone output of the NA-11S1 is similar to that of the SA-11S3.

So, depending on how you intend to use it either could be better suited...

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #461 of 1,283
  More interesting though (especially to head-fi-ers) is that the headphone amp section of the HD-DAC1 is significantly better than the headphone output on the SA-11S3 (which is no slouch either!).  Again I would assume the headphone output of the NA-11S1 is similar to that of the SA-11S3.

So, depending on how you intend to use it either could be better suited...

I think we should keep in mind that the HD-DAC1 is marketed by Marantz as headphone amp first than DAC - from their website "Marantz Headphone Amplifies with DAC mode".

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #464 of 1,283
Hey guys,
Has anybody used these with T1?
Can these overperformance something like idac2+bottle head crack? 

My current setup is modi+vali. I want something warmer than my current setup.

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #465 of 1,283
Hey guys,
Has anybody used these with T1?
Can these overperformance something like idac2+bottle head crack? 

My current setup is modi+vali. I want something warmer than my current setup.

I have no experience with the T1, but if Beyerdynamic's historic headphone tuning is anything to go by, the T1 may have been engineered to sound better balanced when driven from a moderate 120 Ohm or so output impedance. Neither the Vali nor the HD-DAC1 provide this, and may make the T1 sound a little on the "cool" side. Beyer's own headphone amps may be a better bet, some have a selectable output impedance.

However, if anyone has direct experience of the T1 & HD-DAC1 combo I would certainly place more value on their opinion rather than on my musings... :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back