Marantz HD-DAC1
Aug 8, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #483 of 1,283
I just spent an hour trying to do a comparison of T1 with with 3 different amps: HD-DAC1, WOO WA22 (unbalanced) & Beyerdynamic A1. I just listened to two songs swapping between the amps using the DAC in the Marantz. The songs were Allan Taylors “Let the music flow” and “All is one” from the album “All is One”, both in DSD64 via a PC with jRiver Mediacenter 20. The WA22 was driven unbalanced - It is more powerful and refined in balanced mode.

In the end I liked all three amps very much with the T1. HD-DAC1 and WA22 gave an airy impression while A1 was more refined and controlled. A1 took the the neutrality of the T1 towards planars as lcd-2, while the Marantz and WOO (unbalanced) went more to the Grado-side of the headphone universe. WA22 had a slightly cleaner airiness than HD-DAC1, but the impression was subtle. All differences were subtle in my ears, the most distinct being the difference between A1 and the other two. WA22 (with upgrade tubes) is considerably pricier than the other two. A1 obviously have the advantage of being made for T1. I is also more expensive than the Marantz.

I see the Marantz as very price worthy. Even though I thought the A1 sounded more refined, I am not sure I would have preferred it if I had to choose. By the way, my favourite headphones are Grados. My prefered HPs have changed over the last years from Sennheiser (HD650) to Beyerdynamic (T1 & T90) to Sennheiser again (HD800) to Grados (GS1000e and RS-1). I am not an analytical listener and I generally do not try to describe my experience. I just trying to enjoy the music.

I think the Marantz is an amazing all-rounder. I am a proud HD-DAC1 owner and when I plugged in my Grado GS1000e I felt like I was sky diving like the guys in a Chagall painting. 
Not sure why I bought the Marantz since it was hardly an upgrading. I wanted a DSD-dac and some gear minimalism. Not sure where it all lands… :) Not even sure I should be spending my time searching for DSD-dacs when I am mostly listen to music in headphones.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #485 of 1,283
Here's my take on the Marantz HD-Dac1 after playing for only 4-5 hours. 

It is better than the Schiit Gungnir,Audiolab MDac ,Arcam Irdac,Ifi Micro Idsd that I have extensiviely listened to. 

One caveat: It will not play DSD over PCM which is puzzling why Marantz did not incorporate this feature. 

Overall ,it is a very very good dac for the price.

If I had to rank the group it would be:
1) Marantz HD-Dac1
2) Schiit Gungnir
3) Ifi Micro Idsd
4) Arcam Irdac
5) Audiolab Mdac. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #493 of 1,283
Not something to argue about ... the dacs you compared it against, are not the same with the ones in my own test ...

Also, not to be misunderstood here ... I own the Marantz and I'm happy with it as a combo with my HiFiMan HE-500 & my Presonus speakers ... 

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #495 of 1,283
  Not something to argue about ... the dacs you compared it against, are not the same with the ones in my own test ...

Also, not to be misunderstood here ... I own the Marantz and I'm happy with it as a combo with my HiFiMan HE-500 & my Presonus speakers ... 

I was comparing dacs in the price range of the Marantz. Does it sound better than my Chord 2qute. No it does not but that is double the price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back