Marantz HD-DAC1
Aug 16, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #511 of 1,283
  I used to have the M2U/M stack too. Could you go into more detail how the marantz is better? specifically about what is the magnitude of difference. How is the synergy with EL8? I can imagine it would be perfect because the marantz is neutral.

The biggest difference is, honestly, the luxury things on the Marantz (the remote, the setup functions, the build quality/design). When it comes to the sound it is harder to define, both amps have enough power to handle my headphones with ease (I don't own any hard driven cans, but there's lots and lots of headroom for the EL-8, around 11 o'clock with low gain on the HD-DAC1), but from comparing (using the EL-8's and P7's) the Marantz sounds fuller with better definition in the midrange and larger soundstage. But the differences are small and both are very neutral in sound. 
The EL-8's work great with the Marantz, but I suspect this amp works great with just about any headphone (not an amp to use if you're trying to "fix" a headphone that is lacking bass for example). 

I've had the EL-8's for a couple of months now, and that notch that Tyll's measurements show at 7kHz doesn't come through when I listen to them, my ears and EQ testing suggests Audezes own measurements are closer to the truth. YMMV. 

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #512 of 1,283

Wow, i have a good idea of how good marantz is but i did't know they were that good! The iDSD Micro is advertised as a very modern and highly advance device while the marantz has a very humble specs. It blows my mind that the humble marantz come out ahead.

On another note, i did compare the marantz amp to the violectric v281 and i am very surprised to hear bigger soundstage on the marantz. How do they create such big soundstage from so little power?

I don't know about Marantz coming out ahead. It just handles differently from the iDSD. To me the iDSD sounds a lot like Schiit or the ODAC/O2 (i.e. flat and neutral response). I don't think the HD-DAC1 is a neutral amp, but I'm no expert in digital sound, this is just my observation.

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #513 of 1,283
How are folks able to get the DAC-1 to play DSD files natively with Foobar?

I'm happy to list my settings, but I'm hoping since this is a thread for my specific player, there will be folks here that have figured this out already. I can't seem to swing it, even with instructions from the guide over at audiostream. So far, my only luck that I'm now able to "hear" the DSD (and the Marantz actually registers it as a DSD on the front panel), but the sound is awful. There is music there, but mostly static and digital artifacts. I've played around with different [playback methods] under the ASIO menu, but none help. Native and DoP are as I describe, while DSx and exD are only digital noise, no music.

I feel that I'm close, but missing something.

Windows 10
Foobar (latest)
SACD plugin
foo_dsd_asio

P.S. Obviously I can play my DSD's via PCM conversion in the SACD menu (and they sound great), but I was hoping to play the files natively. I'm also hoping my DXD's will play as well....

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #514 of 1,283
I went back and forth about 10-15 times comparing the headphone jack of the marantz and Schiit and, I still say by that the Schiit was better (yes the entry Schiit) or well I didn't like the very gradual volume increase in the marantz and it kinda didn't continue with qualitt in a way like how Schiit does. The marantz headphone jack was still good tho
I'm guessing by Schiit Audio you mean the Magni/Modi stack? And it's been noted (by others that probably are more qualified than me) that the amp section in the HD-DAC1 is much better than the normal ones Marantz puts in their products.

And for what it's worth, since I own both the HD-DAC1 and Magni 2/Modi 2 stack, the Marantz sounds better and looks prettier. But bang for buck goes to Schiit without question.  

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #515 of 1,283
I went back and forth about 10-15 times comparing the headphone jack of the marantz and Schiit and, I still say by that the Schiit was better (yes the entry Schiit) or well I didn't like the very gradual volume increase in the marantz and it kinda didn't continue with qualitt in a way like how Schiit does. The marantz headphone jack was still good tho

Still, the SR5009 and the HD-DAC1 have different headphone amp sections. 

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #516 of 1,283

Im using the Marantz as a dac only with the fixed outputs into an integrated amp and speakers and I can say that it slightly bests the Schiit
Gungnir I have .

My Gungnir is going in for an multibit upgrade so Ill let you know if my opinion changes after that. 

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #520 of 1,283
  How are folks able to get the DAC-1 to play DSD files natively with Foobar?

I'm happy to list my settings, but I'm hoping since this is a thread for my specific player, there will be folks here that have figured this out already. I can't seem to swing it, even with instructions from the guide over at audiostream. So far, my only luck that I'm now able to "hear" the DSD (and the Marantz actually registers it as a DSD on the front panel), but the sound is awful. There is music there, but mostly static and digital artifacts. I've played around with different [playback methods] under the ASIO menu, but none help. Native and DoP are as I describe, while DSx and exD are only digital noise, no music.

I feel that I'm close, but missing something.

Windows 10
Foobar (latest)
SACD plugin
foo_dsd_asio

P.S. Obviously I can play my DSD's via PCM conversion in the SACD menu (and they sound great), but I was hoping to play the files natively. I'm also hoping my DXD's will play as well....

I have similar specs, here are my settings in Foobar. Does it help?

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #522 of 1,283
Yes, I think that did the trick, thanks!!

You're welcome! 
o2smile.gif
 What do you think of the HD-DAC1?

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #523 of 1,283
So far I'm extremely impressed. I've been using a Roland Octa-Capture interface as my amp, or my Fiio X5. I thought those were pretty good, but the DAC1 is in a completely different Galaxy. I don't have any bona-fide Amps to compare it to, but I honestly I don't feel the need. This might be a permanent resident in my home. Currently using B&W P7s, but my HD 700s come tomorrow.....

I do wish it had DSD256/512 & DXD capability, but these formats are scarce, and really not a deal breaker by any definition. The amp section is fantastic, and the DAC section is an 8/10 for me....

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #524 of 1,283
Anyone have a problem with the DAC1 unlocking (and clicking) constantly while jumping around within a given track? Is this normal? I know that it is when switching between different sample rates, but seems odd behavior in a single track. I tend to jump around a lot for certain tracks and the clicks are getting annoying. I'm using the latest Foobar2000 and Windows 10.

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #525 of 1,283
Anyone have a problem with the DAC1 unlocking (and clicking) constantly while jumping around within a given track? Is this normal? I know that it is when switching between different sample rates, but seems odd behavior in a single track. I tend to jump around a lot for certain tracks and the clicks are getting annoying. I'm using the latest Foobar2000 and Windows 10.

I assume this is normal since it's well documented in this thread. If the clicking is bothersome, try these steps: (1) make the HD-DAC1 the Default Device in the Windows 10 Sound Properties. (2) in Foobar, change the default device from ASIO to DS: Primary Sound Driver. (3) it will click once when you start a new track but when you select a new track or plays the next track, it won't click, until you stop playback completely.

Bad news is that you can't play DSD natively this way and you will have to use DSD to PCM conversion.

I guess the HD-DAC1 needs a continuous signal from the source, and with ASIO or WASAPI, every time a new track is selected or play the next track, I think the HD-DAC1 interprets the commands as stop playback then play the next song, hence the clicking.

That said, that's just my guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back