Marantz HD-DAC1
Jun 19, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #423 of 1,283
Anyone else experience the DAC1 relais switching when manual switching songs or pausing in foobar. I´m using wasapi output and tried others . This is especially annoying when you only have Window sounds and the DAC1 is switching on and off, when you change the Folder.

I talked to Marantz and in their opinion this may be a faulty device. But reading around the internet, other experience the switching orgy of DAC1, too.

What is your experience with the DAC1? Are you concerned about reliability of the Device, if it switches that often?

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #424 of 1,283
  Anyone else experience the DAC1 relais switching when manual switching songs or pausing in foobar. I´m using wasapi output and tried others . This is especially annoying when you only have Window sounds and the DAC1 is switching on and off, when you change the Folder.

I talked to Marantz and in their opinion this may be a faulty device. But reading around the internet, other experience the switching orgy of DAC1, too.

What is your experience with the DAC1? Are you concerned about reliability of the Device, if it switches that often?

This is definitely the default/expected behavior. I also find it annoying however I hadn't considered long term reliability implications.

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #425 of 1,283
This is normal ... good thing is that the switching noise doesn't come out from the speakers /hp ... I used to have some other (famous in Headfi) dacs, where it came out of the speakers and it was scary ..

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #426 of 1,283

I love the DAC1 but it would drive me batty if I had it set up as the default sound device. On a Mac using the DAC1 through USB and with it selected as the the default sound output device I can hear the relay click every time a sound alert is played as the DAC1 locks and then unlocks.

This isn't an issue for me in general because I use Audirvana and Tidal which let me select the specific output device so I leave the default output device set to the internal sound. Also, since I have my headphones on I don't hear the relay clicking. 

Electrical relays used in electronics have a mean time before failure measured in the 10's and 100's of millions of cycles so not likely to be a failure point in this unit unless they were faulty from brand new.

My Denon audio video amp makes similar clicking sounds when it locks onto different signals on digital media.

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #427 of 1,283
My HD 700 cans arrived about an hour ago.  I plugged those babies in and fired up Tidal.  OH MY GOODNESS  I am really going to enjoy these headphones.  I imagine they will sound even better as they break in, but it sounds pretty amazing now.

Anyone have any suggestions on where the gain should be set on the Marantz for these phones?  Thanks

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #430 of 1,283
  @alllala Its normal, evertime you change or seek track usb starts to clicking.

You can avoid this in foobar by turning on fading, look at mine setup

Thank you. That helped. My fades before where to small, but starting at about 150ms the DAC1 doesn´t switch every time.
Quite big fades you are using 
smily_headphones1.gif

Electrical relays used in electronics have a mean time before failure measured in the 10's and 100's of millions of cycles so not likely to be a failure point in this unit unless they were faulty from brand new.

that knowledge soothes me. Want to be able to use the DAC1 in 10 years, too.

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #432 of 1,283
  My HD 700 cans arrived about an hour ago.  I plugged those babies in and fired up Tidal.  OH MY GOODNESS  I am really going to enjoy these headphones.  I imagine they will sound even better as they break in, but it sounds pretty amazing now.

Anyone have any suggestions on where the gain should be set on the Marantz for these phones?  Thanks

the gain should be in the position, where,  your comfort level of listening relates to pot's positions between ''ten minutes to & five minutes past' .... 

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #433 of 1,283
Good evening
I have been looking into picking up a new dac and the dac1 is on my list. You all still feel it's a good dac. Mainly would use optical from cd transport network streaming but some usb.
How do you all think it would compare to rega dac1, music hall 25.3, pro ject dac box rs?
Thanks

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #434 of 1,283
Good evening
I have been looking into picking up a new dac and the dac1 is on my list. You all still feel it's a good dac. Mainly would use optical from cd transport network streaming but some usb.
How do you all think it would compare to rega dac1, music hall 25.3, pro ject dac box rs?
Thanks

If you don't need a excellent HP amp but just a dac,  then you should look into some other options, too...  

IMHO, the Hd-DAC1 excells as a combo, due to its headpone amp ... As a dac, after some comparative listening with 4-5 contenders,  I found  that is relatively not so trasparent, and the soundstage lacks the dimensions of other machines. 

I didn't hear the ones that you mention.... In the same price range, I believe that Pioneer UD-05 is a far better dac. However, as a combo, Marantz is the winner since its amp is so much better and powerful compared with the Pio's ...

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #435 of 1,283
If you don't need a excellent HP amp but just a dac,  then you should look into some other options, too...  

IMHO, the Hd-DAC1 excells as a combo, due to its headpone amp ... As a dac, after some comparative listening with 4-5 contenders,  I found  that is relatively not so trasparent, and the sounstage lacks the dimensions of other machines. 

I didn't hear the ones that you mention.... In the same price range, I believe that Pioneer UD-05 is a far better dac. However, as a combo, Marantz is the winner since its amp is so much better and powerful compared with the Pio's ...

Thanks.
No I only need a dedicated dac no amp need. I'm currently using a woo audio wa6
I'll look into the pioneer
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back