Marantz HD-DAC1
Nov 18, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #32 of 1,283
  I have been listening with this unit for some time,actually i bought it just for fun but suddenly it got serious, it's probably the best USB DAC i have heard ultra silent  dynamic with a lot of space.I use Alpha Prime and Grado GS1Ke with it and it sounds phenomenal on both phones.On DSD files i play them with Audirvana the imaging is very 3D

I hate you
tongue.gif
. Alpha Prime?! I want so badly. The Marantz was too expensive for me as it was. I live in Japan... with shipping and the horrible exchange rate right. Alpha Primes would run me 120,000 yen or more. No way I am ever ganna drop that on headpones. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #33 of 1,283
I like this new Marantz amp a lot i have noticed following,use the power cord wich is included somehow the soundstage is wider as with other cords.Please notice following it's important
The display brightness can be adjusted between four levels. Switching the display off reduces a source of noise that affects sound quality, enabling higher sound quality playback.I say it again very liquid smooth wide sound.It's stunning how good iPod sounds when connected straight to DAC 1 please use some good cabling like Audioquest coffee IPOD cable it sounds very open analog like, smoothness combined with unheard details,absolutely love this unit

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #34 of 1,283
  I like this new Marantz amp a lot i have noticed following,use the power cord wich is included somehow the soundstage is wider as with other cords.Please notice following it's important
The display brightness can be adjusted between four levels. Switching the display off reduces a source of noise that affects sound quality, enabling higher sound quality playback.I say it again very liquid smooth wide sound.It's stunning how good iPod sounds when connected straight to DAC 1 please use some good cabling like Audioquest coffee IPOD cable it sounds very open analog like, smoothness combined with unheard details,absolutely love this unit

This is good to hear about his unit thinker, thanks for the feedback! I will be ordering one very soon....

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #35 of 1,283
Man, I dunno...my mind is swimming between this, the Benchmark DAC2, the Conductor. I don't think I've agonized over a purchase... and I can't hear a single one of them. Gah!

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #36 of 1,283

Finally got my DAC1 un-boxed and working. Good god, it took me two me hours to get Foobar and the Marantz to work together. DSD was and getting the dac to recognize the correct output frequencies. I am still not sure how I got that part to work. 

First: Question. Does the DAC click EVERY time it gets a new signal? Like its switching on or switching signals. It does not happen with a continuous sound in-put and its not that annoying, but if I click from one song to another the DAC makes a switch/click sound. Also windows sounds like hitting the back button on a file window. 
I am assuming this is just the dac doing its job (and this is only in USB mode. I didn't notice in the optical input mode... but only checked that for a few minutes) 
EDIT (I found the answer to the this. High end DACs add a relay switch instead of letting the DAC chip do the switching. It reduces strain on the dac chip and sound noise in the output signal while) 

2nd: My biggest disappointment. Neither the fixed nor the variable RCA outputs in the back cut off when the headphones are plugged in. 
Ahhhh. Really? I know that Marantz expects 99% of the people to buy this dac to hook it up to another equally expensive amp like there 5005.
BUT I want to hook mine up to some power speakers. I would have to turn off the powered speakers. 1 sub, and 2 satellites. 3 switches EVERY time. Lame. 
I am just going to buy 3 plug extension cord with a switch on it. Easy fix, wish I didn't have to deal with that at all. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #37 of 1,283
So, 3 complaints and no info on the sound quality or anything? Wow....

Quote:

Finally got my DAC1 un-boxed and working. Good god, it took me two me hours to get Foobar and the Marantz to work together. DSD was and getting the dac to recognize the correct output frequencies. I am still not sure how I got that part to work. 

First: Question. Does the DAC click EVERY time it gets a new signal? Like its switching on or switching signals. It does not happen with a continuous sound in-put and its not that annoying, but if I click from one song to another the DAC makes a switch/click sound. Also windows sounds like hitting the back button on a file window. 
I am assuming this is just the dac doing its job (and this is only in USB mode. I didn't notice in the optical input mode... but only checked that for a few minutes) 
EDIT (I found the answer to the this. High end DACs add a relay switch instead of letting the DAC chip do the switching. It reduces strain on the dac chip and sound noise in the output signal while) 

2nd: My biggest disappointment. Neither the fixed nor the variable RCA outputs in the back cut off when the headphones are plugged in. 
Ahhhh. Really? I know that Marantz expects 99% of the people to buy this dac to hook it up to another equally expensive amp like there 5005.
BUT I want to hook mine up to some power speakers. I would have to turn off the powered speakers. 1 sub, and 2 satellites. 3 switches EVERY time. Lame. 
I am just going to buy 3 plug extension cord with a switch on it. Easy fix, wish I didn't have to deal with that at all. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #38 of 1,283
I heard this briefly today, with my modded Fostex TH900, and it favorably compared to my Resonessence Herus, when the Herus was used as headphone amp. The Marantz sounds dynamic, round, organic, with plenty of energy, and smooth highs. In comparison with the Herus, it was immediately evident that the HD-DAC1 sounded slightly more resolving at fine details, maintaining more texture in dynamic passages, with almost as big and similarly focused sound stage (the reason I bought the Herus was its universal compatibility and that realistic sound stage), but with a smoother sound, and less ringing with problematic recordings. The Herus with my separate headphone amp sounded pretty close, but perhaps I would still give the nod to the Marantz for perceived audio quality alone, and also for total system price. Check also: Concero HP, Concero HD, Chord QuteHD.

Nov 28, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #39 of 1,283
  I heard this briefly today, with my modded Fostex TH900, and it favorably compared to my Resonessence Herus, when the Herus was used as headphone amp. The Marantz sounds dynamic, round, organic, with plenty of energy, and smooth highs. In comparison with the Herus, it was immediately evident that the HD-DAC1 sounded slightly more resolving at fine details, maintaining more texture in dynamic passages, with almost as big and similarly focused sound stage (the reason I bought the Herus was its universal compatibility and that realistic sound stage), but with a smoother sound, and less ringing with problematic recordings. The Herus with my separate headphone amp sounded pretty close, but perhaps I would still give the nod to the Marantz for perceived audio quality alone, and also for total system price. Check also: Concero HP, Concero HD, Chord QuteHD.

Thanks for your impressions!  Much appreciated!

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #40 of 1,283
Listening now to the Fostex HPA8 (selling now at $1000 on amazon), and I like it more than the Marantz, but that is perhaps because the headamp section: more spacious, effortless sound, even more fluid, even more organic. The Marantz has perhaps a bit more snappy and upbeating bass, more prominent clear treble (the typical Marantz sound), but I find the Fostex more natural. As a DAC the Marantz may have an advantage with high res DSD files. Both of them outclass the Herus in musicality, which needs an outboard USB power supply and an outboard headphone amp to compete, otherwise it's  more rough and nothing more than with more loudness and treble (typical "stock-Sabre" sound; IMO Sabre needs much more sophisticated implementations to sound good). When we take price into account, the Herus is a no-brainer. I recommend listening to it, whether is it your style or not, and know that it can be improved if needed. These systems already attain the "good enough to enjoy" level, just select a matching headphone, and enjoy. A NOS DAC with a separate amp will beat these, at a price, and with the right headphones, but not by much.

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #41 of 1,283
  Listening now to the Fostex HPA8 (selling now at $1000 on amazon), and I like it more than the Marantz, but that is perhaps because the headamp section: more spacious, effortless sound, even more fluid, even more organic. The Marantz has perhaps a bit more snappy and upbeating bass, more prominent clear treble (the typical Marantz sound), but I find the Fostex more natural. As a DAC the Marantz may have an advantage with high res DSD files. Both of them outclass the Herus in musicality, which needs an outboard USB power supply and an outboard headphone amp to compete, otherwise it's  more rough and nothing more than with more loudness and treble (typical "stock-Sabre" sound; IMO Sabre needs much more sophisticated implementations to sound good). When we take price into account, the Herus is a no-brainer. I recommend listening to it, whether is it your style or not, and know that it can be improved if needed. These systems already attain the "good enough to enjoy" l

HD-DAC1 is about 500 euro, half price of A8.  BTW, where did you get the HD-DAC1 locally?

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #42 of 1,283
Any comparisons to Marantz's own SA or CD players? I usually run my iPad through the USB port on my CD6004 and the combo using Tidal hifi has produced outstanding results. Just wondering if the dac-1 is a jump up.

Thanks

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #43 of 1,283
Well went ahead and ordered it from Amazon and will give it a go. With the holiday return policy in place I'll have a chance for an extended evaluation and see if it stays. Hopefully so.

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #44 of 1,283
Mojo....would appreciate your impressions of the Marantz.  I have my choices down to the Marantz or the Oppo HA-1 and there aren't many reviews yet for the Marantz although the little I have seen has been positive.  I will be using the DAC/AMP with a pair of Fostex TH900's.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #45 of 1,283
I've had my HD-DAC1 now since last Friday.  My motivation for getting it was to try a relatively inexpensive alternative to my Sabre-based DAC.  I'm finding that I'm becoming allergic to "digititus", especially to the digital "glare" that's often attributed to the Sabre chips.  My initial impression of the HD-DAC1, used as both DAC and headphone amp with my HD-800s, is that the amp seems to have plenty of power to drive the 800's and it does smooth out the sound - less fatiguing than the Sabre to me.  However, it seems to be too much of a good thing.  The sound seems overly smoothed to the point of being a little bit glassy?  Also, it doesn't strike me as the most resolving - detail retrieval could be better, especially with classical music.  I'm curious to see if these impressions will change with further burn-in.  Also, I eventually want to try it as DAC-only feeding other amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back