Marantz HD-DAC1
Dec 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #61 of 1,283
Thanks Mojo for your initial thoughts. I have almost convinced myself to fore go the dedicated HP amp/DAC and just get the Oppo BDP105d and have a complete solution for audio, video and streaming and just live with the marginal drop in audio quality. Still, I am very interested in what you think of the dedicated Oppo HP/DAC.

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #62 of 1,283
---  Well I have had 3 hours with the OPPO. First, the build quality is amazing. Hell of a piece of gear. UI takes a minute to understand and configure but makes up for that with the  cool VU/EQ meters (must stop watching them). What a contrast between the OPPO and Marantz, the OPPO being very modern in all black with the active display and the Marantz with the wood panels and small "Marantz" circular window. Two different takes by the manufacturers for sure.

This is not a final impression: The OPPO as a preamp running my two-channel setup is superior to the Marantz. Better staging, more width, crisper more detailed upper-mids and crystal clear treble. I like it more as a stereo piece. Also having BT built-in is handy when I dont want to get off the chair and change music. Nice!

This is where is becomes a little clouded for me. The OPPO has plenty of HP power single-ended but I have to crank the volume to 2 or 3 or even 4 o'clock to get to a level where I can rock out. In contrast, the Marantz, in high gain, does not need that extra twist of the wrist to blow my head off. Both don't distort, I want to make that clear, but for some reason I think the HD-DAC1 has more juice. The specs don't say so, I'll have to listen more.

Another thing I like about the OPPO is that USB or another input stays locked, whereas, the marantz will click out of lock until it gets a signal, sometimes even between tracks! 

I am inclined to keep the OPPO just for its other uses in my system but I will hold off for a few more days.

Alright, back to downloading freebie DSD files.

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #63 of 1,283
---  Well I have had 3 hours with the OPPO. First, the build quality is amazing. Hell of a piece of gear. UI takes a minute to understand and configure but makes up for that with the  cool VU/EQ meters (must stop watching them). What a contrast between the OPPO and Marantz, the OPPO being very modern in all black with the active display and the Marantz with the wood panels and small "Marantz" circular window. Two different takes by the manufacturers for sure.

This is not a final impression: The OPPO as a preamp running my two-channel setup is superior to the Marantz. Better staging, more width, crisper more detailed upper-mids and crystal clear treble. I like it more as a stereo piece. Also having BT built-in is handy when I dont want to get off the chair and change music. Nice!

This is where is becomes a little clouded for me. The OPPO has plenty of HP power single-ended but I have to crank the volume to 2 or 3 or even 4 o'clock to get to a level where I can rock out. In contrast, the Marantz, in high gain, does not need that extra twist of the wrist to blow my head off. Both don't distort, I want to make that clear, but for some reason I think the HD-DAC1 has more juice. The specs don't say so, I'll have to listen more.

Another thing I like about the OPPO is that USB or another input stays locked, whereas, the marantz will click out of lock until it gets a signal, sometimes even between tracks! 

I am inclined to keep the OPPO just for its other uses in my system but I will hold off for a few more days.

Alright, back to downloading freebie DSD files.

I'm interested in your further impression.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #64 of 1,283
I had a oppo HA1 before, from my memory,the sound was more analytical and wider sound stage.
on the other hand, my new Marantz sounds more analog but with a relatively limited sound stage.
Not A is better than B,just different style.Both of them are great devices for music enjoyment.

It is interesting when I open the Hd dac1 chassis. I found no opamp in the DAC output stage.Wow,discrete transistors are used instead(this approch is used in high end Sacd players.)Maybe this is the cause why the device gives a more analog sounding.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #65 of 1,283
Hi,
I am planning on upgrading my setup from a portable (yet not small) one (Ultrasone Ed8 and Sony PHA2) to something for home use.
I am eyeing the HD800, but I am puzzled as to what DAC and Amp combo I should attached then to.
The HDVD800 is interesting, but I heard the DAC section is not do great, and it has a high output impedance so would not be good for other cans.
I briefly tried the Marantz with the HD800 and it sounded not bad at all, but will it extract most of what those headphone have to off with only single ended output?

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #66 of 1,283
Hi,
I am planning on upgrading my setup from a portable (yet not small) one (Ultrasone Ed8 and Sony PHA2) to something for home use.
I am eyeing the HD800, but I am puzzled as to what DAC and Amp combo I should attached then to.
The HDVD800 is interesting, but I heard the DAC section is not do great, and it has a high output impedance so would not be good for other cans.
I briefly tried the Marantz with the HD800 and it sounded not bad at all, but will it extract most of what those headphone have to off with only single ended output?

For desktop-sized dac/amp,I think single-ended output is no problem for most headphones.Balanced output transforms electical power to mechanical power more efficiently,plus a slightly higher SN ratio and Dynamics headroom.But it does not automatically mean the peceived sound quality must be better than Single-ended output.Like the Chord Hugo,only single-ended phone out can produces very very good sounding.

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #67 of 1,283
For desktop-sized dac/amp,I think single-ended output is no problem for most headphone.Balanced output transforms electical power to mechanical power more efficiently,plus a slightly higher SN ratio and Dynamics headroom.But it does not automatically means the peceived sound quality must be better than Single-ended output.Like the Chord Hugo,only single-ended phone out can produces very very good sounding.

Thanks.
I notice my question sounded I am only concerned about the single ended issue, but what I really wonder is: is this Marantz DAC and Amp a worthwhile companion for the HD800.
I am trying, and mostly managing, to not keep changing gear, so I prefer something that will not make me feel I need an upgrade anytime soon.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #68 of 1,283
Hi,

Picked up this Marantz HD DAC1 yesterday. Using this machine with headphones only directly to the Marantz (DT880 250 Ohm). So my impressions are not for the pre amp sound nor DAC only sound.
All I can say is WOW!!! I love it. My brain burned in in 5 minutes......I immediately was grabbed by the music and noticed that the "critical listening" what I usually do was almost gone instantly.

I auditioned quite a few dac/amps over the past couple of days.....Teac UD301, UD501, ifi micro iDSD, Ami dac DS5, Atoll HD 100, Cambridge DacMagic Plus. For my ears this Marantz was definitely the best of the bunch soundwise. Space, delicacy, punch, dynamics, details, weight. Sound finely balanced over the freq. spectrum.........this thing matches beautifully with the Beyerdynamic! 

In my home speaker set up I have an Audiolab 8200CDQ so in my search for a dedicated headphone setup I was looking for a unit that sounded at least better than the Audiolab. I can say this Marantz does the trick. I was surprised myself that I liked the Marantz because in the past I didn't like the Marantz sound as much. Too polite, friendly and warm was always on my mind when thinking about Marantz....but this HD DAC1 sounds wonderful to me (maybe my preferences in sound are changing, don't know).

I also noticed (like "thinker" mentioned in an earlier post) that my iPad directly connected to the front USB-port sounded incredible (even with the stock Apple cable). I think the iPad sounds even better than the same file from my computer (Mac Mini (Audirvana plus)--> Furutech Formula2 USB cable --> Marantz HD DAC1). Although I can't put my finger on it as to describe in what way....more involving maybe.
just my 2 cents....

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #69 of 1,283
Another happy Marantz HD-DAC1 user here - and my first post
smile_phones.gif
The Marantz replaces an original EE Minimax dac with upgraded opamps, which I always thought sounded really good - and still do - but the Marantz is much more analogue-sounding.
Like some of the others commenting on the Marantz have said, it just draws you into the music. It communicates the emotion in a way that I really like.
I am relatively new to headphone listening, use Hifiman 400is with the Marantz and the combination is great. But I have also connected the Marantz to my Creek Destiny 2 amp. Surprisingly, using the Marantz as a pre sounds good too, though not as good in my system as the headphone out.

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #70 of 1,283
  Another happy Marantz HD-DAC1 user here - and my first post
smile_phones.gif
The Marantz replaces an original EE Minimax dac with upgraded opamps, which I always thought sounded really good - and still do - but the Marantz is much more analogue-sounding.
Like some of the others commenting on the Marantz have said, it just draws you into the music. It communicates the emotion in a way that I really like.
I am relatively new to headphone listening, use Hifiman 400is with the Marantz and the combination is great. But I have also connected the Marantz to my Creek Destiny 2 amp. Surprisingly, using the Marantz as a pre sounds good too, though not as good in my system as the headphone out.

That's really interesting thanks the EE Minimax has quiet a following and has been on my own wish list for some time. I have come very close to pulling the trigger several times now so its encouraging to read your impression of the Marantz in comparison.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #71 of 1,283
Hello
I got the Marantz for almost a week.I love it very much. But,One minor problem with the stock usb cable is that I can hear very very little noise when the music is not playing. Is it worth to buy an expensive USB cable to replace?

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #72 of 1,283
Hello
I got the Marantz for almost a week.I love it very much. But,One minor problem with the stock usb cable is that I can hear very very little noise when the music is not playing. Is it worth to buy an expensive USB cable to replace?

In my opinion there is no need for an expensive cable (more than 50 dollars)! Try some other (shielded, high speed usb 2) cables to see if the noise disappears!

More expensive cables aren't a guarantee for sound improvement....some cables will and some won't improve the sound. Or to make things worse: you hear improvements in a certain part in the freq. spectrum and a downgrade in the other part of the spectrum.

It's all about the micro electric properties between said cable and the other hardware it connects.....
What I do is tweaking the advanced parameter settings in the player software according to which usb cable is used. It's worth looking into this as you can subtly change the overall sound signature.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #73 of 1,283
In my opinion there is no need for an expensive cable (more than 50 dollars)! Try some other (shielded, high speed usb 2) cables to see if the noise disappears!

More expensive cables aren't a guarantee for sound improvement....some cables will and some won't improve the sound. Or to make things worse: you hear improvements in a certain part in the freq. spectrum and a downgrade in the other part of the spectrum.

It's all about the micro electric properties between said cable and the other hardware it connects.....
What I do is tweaking the advanced parameter settings in the player software according to which usb cable is used. It's worth looking into this as you can subtly change the overall sound signature.

CRAFFT,thank you.
I give up buying a new USB cable.
Now,I turn to use the optical cable between the PC and the Dac,leading to zero noise.It is OK for me just play 44.1K wav.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #74 of 1,283
New member to this forum. Also new user for this Marantz amp. I purchased senn hd650 two weeks ago and this amp for 5 days only. Both phone and amp are undergoing the burning-in process. After 3 days' non-stop playing, my initial impression is that the sound from this amp is amazing. Not very wide stage but quite analog.

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #75 of 1,283
I use my Denon d2000 with the
Marantz,sounding very good. X'Mas is coming soon, I have an excuse to buy myself a new headphone.
My taget is Hifiman He560.
Is any friend here using he560 with the marantz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back