Mapletree Ear+ HD Super II
May 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #16 of 66
What are the stock tubes Dr. Peppard is supplying with this amp, if I may ask...

Thanks!

May 28, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #18 of 66
Anyone have any good suggestion for tube rolling with the Super II.  Thanks  Hey does anyone notice how hot the power supply unit gets.  I mean you get even touch it for a long period of time.  Hope this is normal but I think there should be a little more ventilation for the heat to dissipate.  

May 28, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #19 of 66

Quote:
Anyone have any good suggestion for tube rolling with the Super II.  Thanks

I was really impressed with the new production Gold Lion EL84s I tried in my Cyber 20. They'll be the first tubes I roll into the Super II when it arrives. I have Mullards and Mazdas to try as well. For the other pair, I'm sold on NOS RCA 7025s and have a nice matched pair that may never leave the amp.
L3000.gif

May 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #20 of 66
Quote:
Glad to hear your report.  I have a Super II on order as well and hope to get it in the next two weeks.

I see you have a Beyer T1. I would love to hear your thoughts on how the Super II tube sounds with the T1 in general and in comparison to the Burson HA160 solid state. I have a T1 on the way and those are two amps I am considering.  

May 29, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #21 of 66

Quote:
Quote:
Glad to hear your report.  I have a Super II on order as well and hope to get it in the next two weeks.

I see you have a Beyer T1. I would love to hear your thoughts on how the Super II tube sounds with the T1 in general and in comparison to the Burson HA160 solid state. I have a T1 on the way and those are two amps I am considering.  

I will post my comparative impressions when I get the Mapletree - it hasn't shipped yet, however.

May 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #23 of 66
I currently have the HD800 and the Super II.  The combination is great and the extra power does truly make the headphone "sing".  In comparison to my Woo6 with Sophia, the Super II sounds so much more musical.  The highs, mids and low sound more true to what I am hearing from my speaker setup. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #25 of 66
I was considering getting the Super II but I chose to just get the Ear+ HD with the Black Gate upgrade. I am still new to this so I really don't understand what you get by separating the power supply with the Super II. I would love if someone could explain what the benefit is.

Jul 13, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #26 of 66
Quote:
I was considering getting the Super II but I chose to just get the Ear+ HD with the Black Gate upgrade. I am still new to this so I really don't understand what you get by separating the power supply with the Super II. I would love if someone could explain what the benefit is.

I suspect you'll be very happy with your Ear+ HD. The synergy I experience between my HD and RS-1s is as good as any combination I've heard... so good that I sometimes feel like I'm tempting fate by ordering a Super II.

I'll find out when my Super II arrives next week!

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #27 of 66
I don't have a Super II, but the T1/HA160 combination was poor to my ears. The Burson - at least the one I had -  doesn't have enough juice for the T1. One-dimensional, congested sound.

Quote:
Quote:

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #28 of 66

Quote:
I don't have a Super II, but the T1/HA160 combination was poor to my ears. The Burson - at least the one I had -  doesn't have enough juice for the T1. One-dimensional, congested sound.

Same here. I have the T1 and D7000 want impresions on the Super 11 with especially the T1

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #30 of 66
The Mapletree's synergy with the RS1 is legendary - I doubt that you will find a better amp for them. According to Lloyd, there isn't much sonic difference between the Ear+ HD / Super II.
About the K701/2... I'd say the amp drives them well, but I can't say I like it too much. With the Mapletree, I either use the RS1 or the Senn HD600 - but the K701 is collecting dust. But perhaps it's just me and I don't like the AKG's sound signature anymore...

Quote:
Could we also get some opinions on how the Super II works with a K702 and Grado RS-1? Thanks

Another topic: Does anyone else think that the Power Supply of the Super II gets too hot? After a few hours, I can't touch the PSU case for more than a few seconds. Its hard to measure the exact temperature, but the case is approximately as hot as the amp's case between the two EL84 tubes (which means: really, really hot!). Also, the PSU makes a noticeably loud humming noise. That probably isn't much of a problem (all power supply generate some noise, just not as much as the Mapletree's), but it can be a bit annoying.

I have talked to Lloyd about this, but he could not tell me exactly what causes these problems. I have now drilled holes into the top of the PSU case (see picture below), which should help dissipating the heat a bit.
The heat probably isnt dangerous, but it surely shortens the lifespan of the internal components, especially the capacitors...

Anyone else with these problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back