Mapletree Ear+ HD Super II
Jul 23, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #31 of 66
Mad Dude,

Thanks so much for your review. Is the $150 premium of the Super II worth it over the HD2? Assuming that I will be investing in a more expensive amp down the road, would it be wiser to simply buy the HD2 for now?

Also, you say that the mapletree doesn't synergize well with K702's. Can you pinpoint what it is that you don't like about the two being paired together? And if this doesn't go off topic too much, is there another amp that you would suggest that could synergize with both the RS-1 and K702 to your satisfaction?

Thanks again.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #32 of 66
@Mad Dude

I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature of the PSU.  Those amps have DC heaters and I'm pretty sure the rectifier is attached to the case for heat disipation. This will surely make the case very hot and is not going to be solved by the holes you drilled, although it may protect the capacitors inside. The transformers probably add to the heat also and are attached to the case too. On the amp side the components that get very hot are the cathode resistors of the output tubes which may or may not be attached to the case.

Regards
Diego

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #33 of 66
@DanS1

I have a custom super and I think it sounds very good with my 701s. With regards to the price difference between the Super II and the regular HD, I think it's worth it because the Super II is considerably more powerful and has a separate PS which helps reduce noise. However, I haven't heard a Super II and it has a couple of significant changes. The output tubes are EL84 instead of 12B4A and the topology of the input section is different too so it could have a different sound signature.

Regards

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #34 of 66
Thanks diego, this reassures me a bit! But still, I think the PSU should not get so hot, nor should it produce a noticeable humming... perhals Lloyd should consider making a few changes? Don't get me wrong, the amp itself is wonderful, it's just the PSU which worries me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature of the PSU.  Those amps have DC heaters and I'm pretty sure the rectifier is attached to the case for heat disipation. This will surely make the case very hot and is not going to be solved by the holes you drilled, although it may protect the capacitors inside. The transformers probably add to the heat also and are attached to the case too. On the amp side the components that get very hot are the cathode resistors of the output tubes which may or may not be attached to the case.

@DanS1
Regarding the Mapletree driving the K701, the result is not bad in any way - it's very good in fact! I can't exactly tell what I don't like about it. Perhaps I just don't like the K701s sound signature anymore. I used to think that they were great with almost anything except Rock and Metal, but now I think it sounds too dry and analytical, and prefer the HD600 over them.
The result I get with the Mapletree => K701 combo is just not as amazing as with the RS1 or the HD600.

But anyway, the Mapletree is a great amp, I strongly recommend it. About the difference between the regular Ear+ HD and he Super II: I have never had an Ear+ HD and can't say if there is much difference. I asked Lloyd about the sonic differences between the two amps and he answered that, aside from the additional power and lower noise floor of the Super II, "one had to listen very closely" to hear a difference. I basically decided for the Super II because I will probably get a HD800 in the future which could benefit from the Super II's additional power, and because it was at a reduced introductory price when I ordered it.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #35 of 66

Quote:
But anyway, the Mapletree is a great amp, I strongly recommend it. About the difference between the regular Ear+ HD and he Super II: I have never had an Ear+ HD and can't say if there is much difference. I asked Lloyd about the sonic differences between the two amps and he answered that, aside from the additional power and lower noise floor of the Super II, "one had to listen very closely" to hear a difference. I basically decided for the Super II because I will probably get a HD800 in the future which could benefit from the Super II's additional power, and because it was at a reduced introductory price when I ordered it.
smile_phones.gif

Just as an FYI, the MAD EAR+HD has more than enough power to drive the 300 ohm HD800s (it was built around the HD650/600) and even my 600 ohm T1s to extremely loud volumes with amazing sonic qualities.

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #36 of 66
MacedonianHero,

I am sure the Ear+ HD has more than enough Power to drive the HD800s or T1s! I can't say if the Super II would do a better job driving them, its just a possibility.

... This power supply is annoying. I'm actually thinking about selling the Super II and getting an Ear+ HD.

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #37 of 66

Quote:
MacedonianHero,

I am sure the Ear+ HD has more than enough Power to drive the HD800s or T1s! I can't say if the Super II would do a better job driving them, its just a possibility.

... This power supply is annoying. I'm actually thinking about selling the Super II and getting an Ear+ HD.

Can't say either...I've only heard the Super I and obviously Ear+HD. I'd love to though....

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #38 of 66
I have had the Super II for a couple of weeks now. Also have the Burson HA-160.

K702 - prefer the Burson over the Super II.  Both amps drive then well, slight preference to the Burson.

T1 - prefer the Super II over the Burson.  Same as above, both amps drive well, preference to the Super II.

Maybe the old maxim is true - low impedence better with solid state, high impedence better with tubes.

By the way, my Super II is dead quiet, no hum.

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #39 of 66

Quote:
I have had the Super II for a couple of weeks now. Also have the Burson HA-160.

K702 - prefer the Burson over the Super II.  Both amps drive then well, slight preference to the Burson.

T1 - prefer the Super II over the Burson.  Same as above, both amps drive well, preference to the Super II.

Maybe the old maxim is true - low impedence better with solid state, high impedence better with tubes.

Not surprisingly. I never liked the K701/2s with tubes in anyway. And the T1s are great with tubes (especially MAD tubes). But Grado's are low impedance cans and I've yet to hear a better amp that goes better with them than the MAD Ear+HD. I imagine the Super II would be also very nice.

Just like the English language, there's always an exception to the rule.

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #40 of 66
Don't have any Grado's myself,  but did forget about the Grado / MAD synergy.

One of the big reasons I went with the T1 and MAD amp was your positive comments, Macedonian Hero.

Definitely a good recommendation on your part! Thanks.

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #41 of 66
Soooo... my Super II came today! Running all Gold Lion reissues at the moment, but will switch to NOS Sylvanias later today. I'll do a proper review within a few weeks, but my initial impressions are:

W/HD650s -- very nice! The extra power of the Super II makes a clear difference here. I'd always felt that the HD650s with my Ear+ HD were just a bit loose in the lower ranges. Problem solved with the Super II. Even before amp burn-in, the soundstage of the HD650s is fantastic with this amp.

W/LA2000 Lites -- hmm. The Super II keeps the voluminous bass of these cans under control much better than the Ear+ HD, but it's still a bit too syrupy for my tastes. The LA2000s definitely seem to crave a SS amp. No problem -- the Audio-GD C2 has been my dedicated amp for the LA2000s, and I have no problem keeping it that way.

W/Grado RS-1s. Stunning. Absolute perfection.

As I say, more to come.

In respect to points recently raised about the Super II, my power supply gets hot but not disturbingly so, and there is no hum whatsoever.

Jul 24, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #42 of 66
Anybody heard PS1000 with Super II?
Maybe I'm going to get one for my HD800 and PS1000.

I'm a bit worried about the hum though.
Anyway my experience with MAD amp was positive.I used to own Ear+HD and there was no hum. Dead quiet.

regular_smile .gif

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #43 of 66

Quote:
Don't have any Grado's myself,  but did forget about the Grado / MAD synergy.

One of the big reasons I went with the T1 and MAD amp was your positive comments, Macedonian Hero.

Definitely a good recommendation on your part! Thanks.

No problem. I am a big fan of the MAD products and Dr. Lloyd is a great guy to boot.

Cheers!

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #44 of 66

Quote:
In respect to points recently raised about the Super II, my power supply gets hot but not disturbingly so, and there is no hum whatsoever.

Interesting - this confirms my suspicion that the heat and humming of my PSU are a result of the 230V/50Hz power grid we have here in Europe. As far as I can see, all other Super II owners live in the US or Canada, which use 110V/60Hz. Lloyd mentioned this as well.

Quote:

I'm a bit worried about the hum though.
Anyway my experience with MAD amp was positive.I used to own Ear+HD and there was no hum. Dead quiet.

Don't get me wrong, there is no humming in the headphones, it is the PSU itself that hums. The amp is dead quiet.
However, I must also admit that I am very sensitive to constant humming/hissing noises, perhaps I am overreacting.

*sighs* I am going to regret this... but I have decided to sell my Super II. Although the issues in my PSU are most likely nothing to worry about, I know exactly that it would annoy me every time I turn the amp on. Its only one of the reasons for my decision though. After all, I want to get a balanced SS amp - no more hassle with tubes, less heat, less warm-up-time.
Well, most likely going to end up with an SS amp and a MAD Ear+HD
redface.gif

If anoyone is interested in a Super II for 220-240V in great condition at a lowered price (due to the PSU issues), check the sale/trade forums soon (will have to take photos first though, could take a while).

Update: for the FS thread, see http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503903/fs-mapletree-ear-hd-super-ii-230v-eu-tubes

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #45 of 66
Any other HD Super II owners? It'd be nice to have some additional impressions, particularly from those who've also heard the regular HD and other tube amps in the price range.

o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back