Man I need help - UE11 Pro: Would I regret my purchase?
Mar 10, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #106 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did an open mouth impression with a bite block, just as ue suggested. The audiologist I went to had been doing molds for ue for 10+ plus years. The sound is great, but the isolation for me is not that great when music is off. When music is on, I can't hear anything.

that sounds about the same type of isolation i am getting from my TF10. When music is off, everything sounds muted but when the music is on, i can barely hear the outside noise.

but it doesnt sound like it's anything to do with your impressions. I initially though you did a close mouth impression.

Does anyone have any opinions on the UE11 seal ?

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #107 of 147
I get a better seal then I ever got with the Triple.fi even with the shure black foam tips. It seems to be a slightly better in the right ear, but they block out most ambient noise without music and everything when playing. They are fairly comfortable unless I continuously remove and reinsert them and then my ears get sore. There is a proper technique for rolling them in and removing them which takes some practice.

No real outward force either.

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #108 of 147
Quote:

You know I thought that the same thing, but I do not get great isolation either. They isolate worse than my old etys. However, the sound is full and authoritative so I think it may be the material of the casing or something. I have read of a few people that do not get great isolation from them as well.

How was the isolation when the goo was in your ear (while the audiologist was making the impression)?

That should be a good test to the level of isolation you should/we should we receiving from the UE11s.

I guess it is possibly my isolation will not be great nor the comfort being great. But if that is so after a week I guess it would be another seal and sending them back to re-make the UE11s. I am just factoring in the worst case scenario.

My expectations
I expect the same great comfort head-fiers talk about, that UE promises and the isolation too. It could be a hassle but so be it. When I think about my most happy purchases they did everything I expected and more and I only sold them because I wanted to try something new or to gain more synergy -- and not because it did not live up to my expectations. I am putting my never heard before, never yet in my ear UE11s in that category.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #110 of 147
When I had the silicone "goo" in my ears I couldn't hear a thing, but it had a different level of density than the actual ue11's. The comfort is great and the sound is great though, so I believe I have a perfect fit. They also easily fit into place.

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #111 of 147
Quote:

When I had the silicone "goo" in my ears I couldn't hear a thing, but it had a different level of density than the actual ue11's. The comfort is great and the sound is great though, so I believe I have a perfect fit. They also easily fit into place.

OK-- I am mixing, co-mingling your comments with Thread's. Thread seems to have limited isolation and discomfort in his ears. Your ears are fine but isolation is not as strong as expected.

Hmmmm..........

Thread>> I would truly recommend contacting UE and going through the refitting process.

Would anyone disagree?

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #112 of 147
Check this out from the PC Magazine review of the UE11s.

PC Magazine Review of UE11 Pro

Quote:

...After you go to an audiologist for a molding of your ear canals, Ultimate Ears uses the molds to create an exact replica of your ears' insides (not too close to the eardrum), and the result is a funny-looking, hard acrylic earpiece with an astonishingly perfect, comfortable fit and a highly effective means for blocking out surrounding ambient noise. The UE 11 Pro essentially acts as a pair of earplugs, too. In fact, professional musicians the world over use these very earphones as their onstage in-ear monitoring system for this reason—it cuts out most ambient sound and allows for lower listening levels.

(bold added by me).

Perhaps every now and then there are manufacturing quality concerns with UE that causes some physical discomfort and others less than promised isolation.

It seems odd to me that every reviewer remarks on the comfort and isolation. Two options
1) Reviewers are being overly positive because of the reviewer-manufacturer relationship or

2) Whenever UE sends out a pair to a reviewer they perform the molds at their location and double/triple check the finished product against the mold to ensure it is perfect. But this process and additional checks do not occur for the average customer.

I don't know. Trying to make sense of it all.

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #113 of 147
Thought I should add my opinion to this isolation discussion.

Where does it say the UE11's should totally block out ALL noise?

I agree that when the audiologist put the goo in my ears - I couldnt hear a thing.

When I put my UE11's in - the isolation is obviously not as good as the goo - but why should it be? Totally different materials.

I believe that I have an excellent fit with my UE11's. They are 100% comfortable, and as far as I can tell they are sealing perfectly. As others have noted, when music is NOT playing then you can still hear noises - and to me this is as expected.

I think maybe people are looking too much into things, and maybe not being realistic when they expect a UE11 (not playing) to give the same isolation as that almost wet goo from the audiologist.

Just my thoughts.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #116 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by ler224 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do these make your ears all hot and sweaty?

Not in my case. Perfectly comfortable... why would they make your ears sweaty? They're not covering the ear like a normal headphone would. Do you get sweaty wearing earbuds/IEM's?

Quote:

also do these sound fine w/the headphone out on the IPOD classic?

I wouldn't be using an amp with them.

The iPod Classic might be a bit hissy, I've never tried one in person but the iPods in general do not have that great of sound quality (excepting the 1st gen Shuffle). UE11's are VERY sensitive to hiss.

EDIT: As to the isolation argument - mine do not isolate better than my Ety ER4P's that I had previously. That is to be expected - this is a hard acrylic-like material pushing against your ears, not silicone or wet goop. Plus, the solid, unyielding nature of the shell conducts vibrations quite well, and have you noticed that the UE11 is hollow? Hollow materials are not especially good dampers. But, it does isolate quite well just by being in your ear canal, and it is very comfortable for me.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #118 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check this out from the PC Magazine review of the UE11s.

PC Magazine Review of UE11 Pro

The last PC Magazine article including Ultimate Ears was about three months ago, they posted a little top ten gadgets list with the Super.fi 5 pro as one of the top IEMs. Too bad that the picture that went with it was definitely the Triple.fi 10 pro. I might find it later, I'm a subscriber.

My UE11 are comfortable, but the left side seal can be finicky even after a refit. I got it right though I think finally.

Mar 10, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #119 of 147
Quote:

I just had a listen to my UE11's straight out of my Ipod classic headphone jack. Here are my thoughts....

Volume is more than adequate, detail is there, but the soundstage is not huge, and I don't feel that the transparency between instruments and voices is great either. It kinda all sounds 'together'. It's not a bad sound - but certainly not getting the full potential out of the UE11's.

If I connect my UE11's to my iMod, and Vcap dock, and Predator amp - well things start to change (as one would expect).

Soundstage is very large and wide, and transparency is great too. I can hear individual singers, and can easily pinpoint a single instrument out from all the others. Instruments sound more like instruments too.

In summary, whilst UE11's straight out of Ipod classic headphone jack is good, I don't think your pushing these things to their potential - and they definitely seem to benefit from a higher source.

Just my thoughts.

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #120 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamespb78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought I should add my opinion to this isolation discussion.

Where does it say the UE11's should totally block out ALL noise?

I agree that when the audiologist put the goo in my ears - I couldnt hear a thing.

When I put my UE11's in - the isolation is obviously not as good as the goo - but why should it be? Totally different materials.

I believe that I have an excellent fit with my UE11's. They are 100% comfortable, and as far as I can tell they are sealing perfectly. As others have noted, when music is NOT playing then you can still hear noises - and to me this is as expected.

I think maybe people are looking too much into things, and maybe not being realistic when they expect a UE11 (not playing) to give the same isolation as that almost wet goo from the audiologist.

Just my thoughts.

I agree, I think the isolation is fine for my needs. I just wanted others to know in case they were expecting 100% isolation from ambient noises.

Quote:

I think they sound really good straight out of my classic. I have used amps with them and the music separation improves, but for me it isn't worth the bulk. Even straight out of my ipod, it easily competes with my home setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back