Man I need help - UE11 Pro: Would I regret my purchase?
Feb 25, 2008 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 147

spraggih

Headphoneus Supremus
You know how good equipment makes you want great equipment...

Well I like my Klipsch IMAGE IEMs a lot
- fun sounding
- love the bass!
- good soundstage for ambient sounds (vocals have headstage no soundstage)
- nothing harsh
- so easy to put it
- great comfort
- uber portability

But they make me wonder
- Can I get better soundstage
- More extension
- More texture and presence

So I have been reading all of the fine Head-fi input and I wonder------------------------------------

$-$-$-$-$ Would I regret buying the UE11 Pros?

Here are some of my concerns
  • Could I get all I want with the Shure SE530s? (I would not prefer any treble roll-off but if it really that bad?)
  • I hate buying something with NO resale value-- is it truly impossible to resell or have someone else use your UE11s? I mean are our ears that unique?
  • $1150 - $350 = $800. Are they $800 better than the Klipsch's?
  • Also everyone praised the UE10s as the best... until the UE11s-- what happens when the UE12s come out? Any upgrade program with Ultimate Ears?
  • Any other considerations I need to make?
Thanks my friends!!

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 147
it's generally normal for me to recommend "get the highest gear so you won't feel the need for upgrades".. but 1100$ is a LOT of money..Livewires are the furthest I will go for custom IEMs.
:S are they really worth 800$ more? I have no idea, but I think there's better equipment that you can spend your money on.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 147
im gonna stick ith the tf 10 cause imagine getting them and theyre just a little bit better, cant resell, and youve lost that $700-$800!

i mean i didnt like the se530s and i did like the tf 10 so its just as likely i may not like the ue11, and not being able to try a pair just kills it! and a 1 year warrenty isnt that long really

its a real big risk, it is gambling in a sense

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 147
It's a gamble I'm willing to take. There are lots of folks who have had no problem with the mold the first time. They are supposed to sound heavenly... and I welcome the extra bass.

I've read most of the UE11 banter on this forum, and I wanted more in the direction of the Triple.fi's. (They are not comfortable.)

So I'm expecting the "they're finished, here's their tracking number" email any day now...

I can hardly contain myself.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 147
its such a shame that you cant somehow try a pair before, the only thing i want extra from the tf 10 is a bit more bass but not boomy bass like se530, but id need alot of disposable income to risk it

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 147
let's say cost is not the issue per se (it almost always is the issue) but value, hearing a difference is...

So are the UE11s that much more than the SE530s? (for those who have heard both)...

or

Should I consider the UE10s because at $250 more the UE11s are not much more in terms of SQ?

AND YES, I wish I could try out the UE11s prior to purchasing.

This purchase would be a gift to myself so cost is not the only concern. I am very VERY happy with the my computer/Stello/Rudistor setup-- I would only try a different source just to play / try stuff out so my portable rig is the last stance and even then I could be happy easily if the UE11s are as good as reported.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 147
UE11 is recognized as the top dog of the IEM world, and customs are unbeatable when it comes for personal comfort. However, as it has been said in the thread, you have to be willing to pay for it.

My suggestions per your questions:
1. Try the SE530's first. Buy a used pair, and then re-sell.
2. Not truly impossible, but damn close. You have to figure out a way to get UE to re-do your shells without them figuring out you've "sold" the IEM's, or get someone who knows custom IEM design and will do it for you.
3. You be the judge. For me, they were worth the $$ difference over the TF10's.
4. Do note that it took them about a decade to top the UE10's. By the time the UE12 comes out (hopefully) a similar amount of time should have passed.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 147
If you like treble, the SE530s are yucky
frown.gif

Does UE have a refund policy on the UE11s? They should... considering it probably costs them like $50 max in materials heh.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE11 ... are unbeatable when it comes for personal comfort.

That's what I expected. I hear a lot of discomfort stories with the Shure SE530s.

Quote:

2. Not truly impossible, but damn close. You have to figure out a way to get UE to re-do your shells without them figuring out you've "sold" the IEM's, or get someone who knows custom IEM design and will do it for you.

Can you explain further. Do you think someone would sell their UE10s or UE11s and then I could have then re-done. Is that possible?

Quote:

4. Do note that it took them about a decade to top the UE10's. By the time the UE12 comes out (hopefully) a similar amount of time should have passed.

I did not know it's been 10 years between the UE10s and UE11s-- that is comforting.

but WHY do the "best" IEMs cost $1,150?? It sounds so unreasonable. (No pun intended).

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #12 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I expected. I hear a lot of discomfort stories with the Shure SE530s.

Can you explain further. Do you think someone would sell their UE10s or UE11s and then I could have then re-done. Is that possible?

I did not know it's been 10 years between the UE10s and UE11s-- that is comforting.

but WHY do the "best" IEMs cost $1,150?? It sounds so unreasonable. (No pun intended).

The black fommies that come with the SE530's are not bad. There are more comfortable to me then any other sleeve that I have tried with any IEM. That being said, they are still not as comfortable as I hoped they would be. I can go for about 3-4 hours before I feel the need to take them out of my ears.

Another issue I dislike is putting them in my ears. Having to pinch the sleeve, then hold it in your ear for 10-20 secs is kind of a pain. I know it does not seem like a long time, but when you have to take the IEM's in and out of your ears every 15 mins because someone keeps talking to you gets annoying. I have the PTH device but find it a pain to carry with me all the time. The least amount of things to carry the better.

I personally think the cost of the UE11s is worth it just for the fact that it is custom made for your ear. Adding and removing them from your ears looks almost as easy as around ear headphones, not to mention the SQ is supposed to be among the best, if not the best IEM on the market.

Put it all together, and that $1150 price tag does not look so bad to me.

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 147
To the original poster. I hear ya...It's alot of money and the fact they have NO resale value AND you cannot hear them prior to purchase sucks. I have considered these for some time myself. I live in Northern California now(used to be in San Diego) and thought it may be worth the 6 hour drive to visit UE headquarters in Irvine,CA. I emailed them a while back and you can actually go there and have them custom made on-the spot and walk out with your new headphones. Pretty cool!

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #14 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the original poster. I hear ya...It's alot of money and the fact they have NO resale value AND you cannot hear them prior to purchase sucks. I have considered these for some time myself. I live in Northern California now(used to be in San Diego) and thought it may be worth the 6 hour drive to visit UE headquarters in Irvine,CA. I emailed them a while back and you can actually go there and have them custom made on-the spot and walk out with your new headphones. Pretty cool!

The closest I get to Irvine is San Francisco on business trips (6 hours away). I am going to email, call Ultimate Ears and talk with them and explain my concerns. I am hoping they offer some form of security or maybe loaner program for a price.

Who knows? I have nothing to lose.

<<<Does anyone know? Can you take someone else's UEs and have then re-audiologized to fit your ear>>>>

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #15 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbx2006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The black fommies that come with the SE530's are not bad. There are more comfortable to me then any other sleeve ...

I personally think the cost of the UE11s is worth it just for the fact that it is custom made for your ear.

Put it all together, and that $1150 price tag does not look so bad to me.

I came across this post doing a search on UE11s.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/cus...ighlight=ue-11

Averysound (and one other company) makes custom ear molds that can be added to any IEM. So this would provide the best possible seal, ensure comfort. It costs ~$125.

SE530 (current retail- $450) + $125 = $575. Of course I may not like the sound signature.

Do SE530s sound like Senn 650s-- is the treble roll-off significant? Can someone describe in it non-audiophile terms?

Maybe the triple-fis would be best-- but as much as I appreciate and want the treble as well as the bass-- I have seen these two things happen:

The bass overwhelming the midrange-- sounds comforting, fun and grooving-- but after a while the ear wants the shimmer and sparkle.

The treble overwhelming everything-- sounds so detailed, crisp and clean-- but after a while the ear is fatigued and wants to hear the fullness of the bass.

Arrghhhhhhhhhhhhh. <<I still have to call Ultimate Ears. More to come.>>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back