Man I need help - UE11 Pro: Would I regret my purchase?
Mar 6, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #91 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone have the 2X-S and the UE11s? Care to comment?
I know Jason had the 2X-S at one point.

I have the 2X-S and use them all the time. They are decent but I still plan on eventually getting the UE 11s. If I were you, pull the trigger when you can afford them.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #92 of 147
Spraggih - did you do FS mod? Makes life SO much easier with the TF10's.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #93 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My understanding is that UE11 gives also much more exciting treble, whereas the UE10 are slightly rolled off. I've also gathered that UE11 are much more 3D/big headphone sounding.

UE-11's are all of that and a lot more.....

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #94 of 147
There was a link re: 2X-S and UE11 (rather UE10 IIRC) and it was a short thread because many head-fiers remarked the newer 2X-S was redesigned and the SQ was tremendously lower than on the first release so they felt it was unnecessary to draw any conclusions.

Most said the UE11s blow the 2X-S away but as you know Jason had a little different take-- he may have had the first version.

Re: the mods-- I just had my ear molds made. I hope it works-- I of course did open mouth molds but I wonder if there was any movement.

The good news is on the first batch the audiologist realized they were not using cotton whatever (as UE requires) and gave me the first molds for free. So I have two mold sets. It was a great and unusual feeling have the goo in my ears. First the silence and quietness was very peaceful. I might want to wear earplugs or IEM without any music playing to experience the beauty of gentle silence
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the AverySound custom mold package but I told them I was re-considering my decision. John from customer service has been very nice and said Take your time and decide.

So I could have the AverySound custom molds on the triple.fis (AFTER I buy a new pair-- had to return my prior pair)-- try it out

and if I want more then send in the other molds to UE.

Hey, that sounds like my original plan.

On the triple.fis I could not near enjoy or even consider the sound because of the fit (or lack thereof). Vocals were not just distant not just recessed per se but hollow, mono sounding, weird. So I wonder even... And with the music off I could hear everything around me, which speaks to an improper seal.

So we will see. I just hate buying, waiting, returning, buying, waiting, returning... I do not mind waiting so much if there wasn't a return there.

I have thought to try out a lot of pairs at once and return but that feels so bad-- like I am intentionally taking advantage of the seller/company.

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #95 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the AverySound custom mold package but I told them I was re-considering my decision. John from customer service has been very nice and said Take your time and decide.

So I could have the AverySound custom molds on the triple.fis (AFTER I buy a new pair-- had to return my prior pair)-- try it out

and if I want more then send in the other molds to UE.

Hey, that sounds like my original plan.

So we will see. I just hate buying, waiting, returning, buying, waiting, returning... I do not mind waiting so much if there wasn't a return there.

I have thought to try out a lot of pairs at once and return but that feels so bad-- like I am intentionally taking advantage of the seller/company.

The above was written just two days ago. And in typical fashion I went against my original plan which became my newest plan and ORDERED THE UE11s!!!

Sent those impressions in ASAP and got this email from Ultimate Ears:
Quote:

[size=x-small]Hey Henry,[/size]

[size=x-small]Your impressions where well received and your order is now in place. [/size]

[size=x-small]Your ship date will be 10-12 business days from today. [/size]

[size=x-small]Thanks again for your order ![/size]

[size=x-small]Have a Great Weekend ![/size]

[size=x-small]Best regards,[/size]
[size=x-small]So soon we will see.
smily_headphones1.gif
Straight, typical head-fi-- start in one direction end in another and try to make sense of the costs after the fact.

[/size]

On that note
[size=x-small]I hate the thought of spending so much money when
I have so much stuff already
[/size]
  1. [size=x-small] Sony wireless[/size]
  2. [size=x-small] Sony eggos[/size]
  3. [size=x-small] Sony cd3000[/size]
  4. [size=x-small] Audio-Technica w11jpns... [/size]
[size=x-small]
So after the UE11s arrive... depending on what itch they address best I will be selling one pair of my headphones. Say it aint so!!!

--Also I sold my DA220 (loved it but wanted to try the DA-10 again) and hope to save $50 - $100 on the difference between the DA220 sell price and the used DA-10.
[/size]
[size=x-small]

--Also I returned my AverySound custom molds --- John and AverySound were very accommodating, helpful and customer focused. They accepted my return minus a small shipping charge. Very nice. I will search out their site and buy something from these guys because I want to ensure good business folks stay in business. So I recouped another $120.
[/size]

My goal
[size=x-small]I want to only be o[/size][size=x-small]ut ~$600 (or better). Here's the math:
the cost of the UE11s - (returns, DAC exchanges and headphone sale)

[/size]
[size=x-small]I doubt I would sell the w11jpns-- because even although I enjoy the CD3000s more I think it is mostly because of synergy.
CD3000 synergy: The DA220 carries more weight and thickness- benefiting the CD3000 but IMO hurting the w11jpns. The w11s need clean, natural, quick DAC because they have the bass add-on and are a tad unnatural. So the w11s should stay. Plus the w11s are woodies and look pretty!
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]
[size=x-small]

THANKS!
Thanks to all-- obviously my impressions of the UE11s are to follow. One note I will not post impressions for weeks after having the phones because I always love my phones when I first purchase them... either that or they go back the same day
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
I want to have true, long-term impressions!! So I wait at least a week!
smily_headphones1.gif

[/size]

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #96 of 147
Hi there, I got my UE-11 pair about 10 days ago, together with my sons pair (Matteman).

I have to tell I am a newbeginner in this area, but, I haven´t been so dependent on anything so quick before!

My son had something else that he showed me (Super.fi 5-pro), and I got really impressed by the sound. Then he showed me there is something even better!!!!!

Anyway, my son has the very best taste for perfect quality. In every area in life.

I am still so blown away with my UE-11, that I have serious problems to send them back (got my sons logo on my pair, and he got my logo). The thought of being without them for a week or two is unbearable.

However, what I wanted to tell you, is, it depends on how you look at money. If you think you are going to use them for 10 years, then it will cost you 0.31 usd per day. So, these UE-11 is a lot of best quality for a little sum of money.
wink.gif

Take care

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #97 of 147
Hey, yeah, this response is a little late, but to confirm, my comments on the 2X-S are on the original version. I haven't heard the new ones. I also spent a lot of time with the 2X-S and heard them through some pretty synergistic systems, so my impressions of them are from hearing them at their best.

Honestly, for anyone considering both from scratch, I would also have to suggest getting the UE-11 Pro over a 2X-S (even the original version) because the UE-11 Pro is better and also seems more reliable than the Sensas.

So congrats on the purchase man!

Best,

-Jason

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #98 of 147
Mother & Jason,

Yes indeed I am looking forward to the UE11s... Here's a funny one-- I am looking forward to them due the silence (almost dead silence) experienced when they are in your ears (without music playing). I am thinking of ways and places to wear them without playing music so push out the noise or lower the scenery noise.

On Sensa reliability-- yes there are a number of threads where head-fiers mention their issues with build or defects.

I bet as soon as my UE11s arrive Westone will come out with its new custom version.
smily_headphones1.gif
But I have been very satisfied with purchases I have gotten input on and reviewed extensively on Head-fi. So I am very confident.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #99 of 147
Welcome to the club. These things sound so magical. I am going back between these and my AT's and I love both.

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #100 of 147
The silence you are talking about here Spraggih is actually one of the magics about IEMs. It is almost a religious experience to completely block out the boring outside world (while sitting on the bus, train etc) and listen to music. Sometimes, when I'm home, I even put on full-sized hearing protection over my UE-11 to get 26+30 = 56db of noise attenuation
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #101 of 147
On isolation. I'm finding I'm getting isolation from my UE11's about equal to my E500's with the silicone tips. Using the clap test, I can still hear much of the high sound coming from my own clapping hands. I thought I had a serious seal problem, but that does not seem to be the case: the bass is as full as it should be.

Should I be getting better isolation than this?

Also, this is day 3 now, and while the ears are acclimating to having these phones wedged in my ears, I can't help but think that the comfort might still be sub par. In an imperfect fit, wouldn't it be only various contours of the earphones causing the seal that I've managed and not the entire earphone?

It seems to me that in a perfect world, the earphone would consume exactly the space that my ear does not, causing wonderful comfort and isolation.

I'm not entirely sure I've attained this with the current fit . . .

Addition: Does anyone know if busting out a file on these things will void whatever fit warranty UE provides?

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #102 of 147
The pics are in. 1) Front with natural light, 2) Front with flash captures some of the innards, and 3) Rear shot.

2321617198_70f6fb8f19.jpg

2320799101_a8ddeeeae4.jpg

2321618590_fbed10e3b6.jpg

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #103 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On isolation. I'm finding I'm getting isolation from my UE11's about equal to my E500's with the silicone tips. Using the clap test, I can still hear much of the high sound coming from my own clapping hands. I thought I had a serious seal problem, but that does not seem to be the case: the bass is as full as it should be.

Should I be getting better isolation than this?

Also, this is day 3 now, and while the ears are acclimating to having these phones wedged in my ears, I can't help but think that the comfort might still be sub par. In an imperfect fit, wouldn't it be only various contours of the earphones causing the seal that I've managed and not the entire earphone?

It seems to me that in a perfect world, the earphone would consume exactly the space that my ear does not, causing wonderful comfort and isolation.

You know I thought that the same thing, but I do not get great isolation either. They isolate worse than my old etys. However, the sound is full and authoritative so I think it may be the material of the casing or something. I have read of a few people that do not get great isolation from them as well.

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #104 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know I thought that the same thing, but I do not get great isolation either. They isolate worse than my old etys. However, the sound is full and authoritative so I think it may be the material of the casing or something. I have read of a few people that do not get great isolation from them as well.

Wow .. that's worrying. I'm currently using the TF10 and get a great seal from them. One of the things that is pushing me towards the UE11 is supposely the great seal that i can get from the customs.

May i know if you did an open or closed impression when you did your molds?

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #105 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow .. that's worrying. I'm currently using the TF10 and get a great seal from them. One of the things that is pushing me towards the UE11 is supposely the great seal that i can get from the customs.

May i know if you did an open or closed impression when you did your molds?

I did an open mouth impression with a bite block, just as ue suggested. The audiologist I went to had been doing molds for ue for 10+ plus years. The sound is great, but the isolation for me is not that great when music is off. When music is on, I can't hear anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back