Magni 3 Impressions
Jan 16, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #1,246 of 2,593
OK, back to the original post topic. I have a Magni (first one) and I'm very pleased with it. What, other than the gain has been done to the Magni 3? Any sonic improvements? Or, is it just the selectable gain feature that's new?

Substantial sonic improvements.

Now, if you spend your time listening to Youtube or MP3s, you might not notice. But if you listen to lossless sources like FLACs or CDs, you'll notice quite a bit.

Technically, the amplifier is a completely different design, not an incremental improvement.

I made the same jump, and it was worth it.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #1,248 of 2,593
Ah, OK, very good to know. Thanks. Now, here's a question you might consider dumb. The gain. Does the gain work for both headphones and when using the thing as a regular preamp hooked to a power amp?

Or, does the gain only affect the headphone section?

Thanks,
Mark

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #1,249 of 2,593
Ah, OK, very good to know. Thanks. Now, here's a question you might consider dumb. The gain. Does the gain work for both headphones and when using the thing as a regular preamp hooked to a power amp?

Or, does the gain only affect the headphone section?

Thanks,
Mark

I don't know if the hi/low gain setting works for the preamp, since that's not how I use mine. Sorry.

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #1,252 of 2,593
Can anyone comment on how the magni 3 pairs with the he 560s?
I tried it once and it was better than I though it would be but I didn't do really critical listening since we were trying so many headphones on the Magni3 and didn't have time for critical listening and comparing.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #1,253 of 2,593
I had a question regarding using the magni 3 as a standalone amp on my nightstand with my iPhone 6 Plus as the source. Could I simply use the iPhone cck camera adapter (lightning to USB female), then connect the magni 3 to that with an rca to USB male cord?

Would this prevent double amping while allowing me to use the dac in my iPhone 6s?

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #1,254 of 2,593

So this guy, can't say I know who he is but this was linked on another site I frequent, claims that the NFB 11 is "at least 50 percent better" that the M3 and the m3 cannot resolve all of the detail of the t50rp or power them enough.

To me it sounds like a bunch of BS, but id figured id ask you guys.....what should I believe and what should I not?

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,255 of 2,593
not much different than most youtube reviews like the idot with a letter as his name, haha.

You really think your going to get the straight dope from youtube or from............????

You really have to vet the reviewer or better yet, have personal experience. Meets, meets and more meets.

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #1,256 of 2,593

So this guy, can't say I know who he is but this was linked on another site I frequent, claims that the NFB 11 is "at least 50 percent better" that the M3 and the m3 cannot resolve all of the detail of the t50rp or power them enough.

To me it sounds like a bunch of BS, but id figured id ask you guys.....what should I believe and what should I not?

Someone pointed me to that very same video on this thread as a statement on why Magni 3 wasn't any good. I frankly don't know the amplifier he's comparing it against, so I couldn't tell if he was any good. His description of behavior didn't make sense to me, describing a decidedly nonlinear behavior in the amp that should be easily noticeable. I've basically waited to hear what others had to say rather than taking just one data point. (Not that it stopped me from buying; at $100 the amp is hardly a deal-breaker if it were "bad.")

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #1,257 of 2,593
not much different than most youtube reviews like the idot with a letter as his name, haha.

You really think your going to get the straight dope from youtube or from............????

You really have to vet the reviewer or better yet, have personal experience. Meets, meets and more meets.

If the letter guy on youtube that you speak of seems to wear a go pro on his head, because the camera never stops moving/shaking and talks about nothing/BS for far too long..yeah..can't stand him either.

Also no I'm not but I was curious about what he was saying about the power and its comparison to the NFB 11 which does seem to get good praise here. Other places of the internet though not so much..so it's tough filtering out all the garbage.

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #1,258 of 2,593
fwiw, I only heard one Audio GD product, the Compass (pos in my opinion). I own a Magni 3 with Senn 600. Have owned Phonitor, Violectric, Lake People, Vali 2, La Figaro, Micromega Myzic?, Benchmark Dac1, Lavry DA-10, Dangerous Source and more. The Magni 3 is my favorite amp so far for the money and can hold its own against those previously mentioned, IMHO. Can sound a bit compressed on high gain or when turned up loud. I run about 11 oclock on low gain with the Senns, with a nominal 2 volt dac input, so not really loud.

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #1,259 of 2,593

I don't know this guy and have not watched the video, but may I say that I wouldn't even know where to start if I had to guess what "at least 50 percent better" means, comparing two amps...

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #1,260 of 2,593
I had a question regarding using the magni 3 as a standalone amp on my nightstand with my iPhone 6 Plus as the source. Could I simply use the iPhone cck camera adapter (lightning to USB female), then connect the magni 3 to that with an rca to USB male cord?

Would this prevent double amping while allowing me to use the dac in my iPhone 6s?
Have you ever seen an RCA to USB cord? There is no such thing. Well, there is - it's called a DAC, they typically have both USB and RCA ports.
What do you mean by double-amping? Each DAC has an amplifier in it to bring the signal to the level so the external amplifier can amplify it further. I wouldn't worry about it and connect the Magni 3 to headphone-out on your phone. If it has headphone-out. I am not an Apple person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back