Magni 3 Impressions
Oct 24, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #737 of 2,593
Have you ever used a Modi Multibit? It runs much, much warmer than your average DAC.
Yup, it's only a little warm compared to an amp, but I still have it at the top of my stack:

(Yes I'm a hypocrite, my amp is on the bottom, I'd love to see someone try a Jot on Mimby stack!)
V8zASk2.jpg

Note to Schiit, brushed metal SYS should be top priority! It's sticks out worse in pictures though...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #741 of 2,593
Just placed an order for a Magni 3 and Mimby... My first Schiit Stack! This is exciting, a little upgrade over my Fiio E10k.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #742 of 2,593
Personally, I would get the Magni 3 and then reassess my DAC choice if the Fiio is found lacking. I replaced a Magni 2 (non-Uber) with the Magni 3 and found it a much better sounding amp and a good choice to build around. I'm 3 weeks in with the Magni 3 and I'm still amazed at the life-like sound it produces.
Good luck with your choices!

I have two options, since I live in Pakistan so shipping n customs would cost me alot ...
Magni 2 Uber would cost me around 100 USD (from Amazon as it's on sale @72USD) and Magni 3 if I order directly from Schiit website it will cost me more than 170USD.
So ... If I save those 70USD I can add it towards a good DAC or my HD600/650 funds

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #743 of 2,593
Just placed an order for a Magni 3 and Mimby... My first Schiit Stack! This is exciting, a little upgrade over my Fiio E10k.

I had the fiio e10k too when I decided to buy the magni 2 a long time ago. It was a big change for me. At first it was hard for me to notice anything at all, but after a few weeks when I decided to go back to the fiio e10k again it was only for a couple of minutes. Then I went back to the magni 2 immediately.

And now we have the magni 3. So I highly doubt that you'll be disappointed!

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #744 of 2,593
Received my Modi 2, Magna 3 and ATH-MX50 yesterday. This is for my work setup and replaces a Fulla 2 and AKG K451. Initial impressions after 60 minutes in is it certainly sounds better than the previous setup and worth the small investment. I will probably get a loki next for work (have one for home). I also feed the Magna 3 into Creative Gigaworks T20 speakers at work and they sound slightly better than with the Fulla 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #745 of 2,593
I have two options, since I live in Pakistan so shipping n customs would cost me alot ...
Magni 2 Uber would cost me around 100 USD (from Amazon as it's on sale @72USD) and Magni 3 if I order directly from Schiit website it will cost me more than 170USD.
So ... If I save those 70USD I can add it towards a good DAC or my HD600/650 funds
That's a difficult choice since the price difference is so large but to me the Magni3 at $170 might still be the better buy in the long run. I also think that the Magni3 is a slightly better match to the DT990 and HE400i than the Magni2uber. Have you looked at other gear that might be easier to obtain with less shipping / customs cost?

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #746 of 2,593
That's a difficult choice since the price difference is so large but to me the Magni3 at $170 might still be the better buy in the long run. I also think that the Magni3 is a slightly better match to the DT990 and HE400i than the Magni2uber. Have you looked at other gear that might be easier to obtain with less shipping / customs cost?
Add $30-40 to Amazon listing
So if I'm shedding $170 what else is an equally good choice?

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #747 of 2,593
Add $30-40 to Amazon listing
So if I'm shedding $170 what else is an equally good choice?
I haven't spent much time looking in the $100-200 range lately but was in this thread since a friend was looking for a cheap temporary amp while waiting for the CTH and LCX. One DAC/amp that has interested me is the R2R 11 from Audio GD which would put it at about the same price as a Magni3 + Mimby. Have you considered a hybrid tube amp like the Vali2? To me it might be a slightly better amp for the headphones you currently have and since you are also considering the HD650/600. I know many don't want to deal with tubes since they have a limited life span but for some headphones like the HD800 and T1 tubes are what many suggest.

Oct 25, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #748 of 2,593
Is the magni 3 worth it over the magni 2 uber?

There's a deal right now for magni 2u for 70 dollars and I'm potentially in the market for one or the other
I doubt it really.
Save yourself 30$. The Magni 2 uber is already strong enough to drive any headphones in mankind past the limits of human hearing and enough to make you deaf.
Definitely not worth it for that price.

Stay with the Magni 2 or get a topping A30 instead if you need an amp with a pre out.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #749 of 2,593
With my Mr. Speakers Alpha Primes (and with a Mimby as a source) the Magni 3 lives at about 3PM on the volume, but there's still plenty of headroom left. I can't turn the volume all the way up, it's way too loud before I get there. So I doubt the Magni 3 is a good choice for an HE6 or K1000, but for almost literally anything else in the electrodynamic and planar world, it will sound great driving whatever else you have.

My unit at least doesn't have any hum or hiss or anything, at full volume with no source.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #750 of 2,593
With my Mr. Speakers Alpha Primes (and with a Mimby as a source) the Magni 3 lives at about 3PM on the volume, but there's still plenty of headroom left. I can't turn the volume all the way up, it's way too loud before I get there. So I doubt the Magni 3 is a good choice for an HE6 or K1000, but for almost literally anything else in the electrodynamic and planar world, it will sound great driving whatever else you have.

My unit at least doesn't have any hum or hiss or anything, at full volume with no source.
Magni 3 drove my YH-2 to a high volume (too high for long term listening) at 3PM on low gain.
I never even tried high gain.
My more sensitive headphones had 0 volume control as they would barely get off of 830 and they would be loud.
My AH-MM400 I could get to around 9 with and the D7200 Denons really couldn't get barely off of 815 before it was already getting pretty loud.
With my 1More Quad drivers I could get to 845ish, but I don't use them with a great seal anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back