Magni 3 Impressions
Oct 12, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #618 of 2,593
I placed my order for one today Unfortunately They are on backorder 7 to 10 Business days.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #619 of 2,593
What I like about the idea of the Magni 3 is the Loki. What I mean by that is the Magni 3 is a good candidate for EQ because of it's clean power, and combined with clean and smart EQ (the Loki) every headphone you have with dynamic capability and low distortion develops multiple personality disorder :imp:

I've noticed cans using planar drivers seem to absorb more bass boost than dynamic drivers, they might be the ideal choice for the magni loki combo.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #620 of 2,593
What I like about the idea of the Magni 3 is the Loki. What I mean by that is the Magni 3 is a good candidate for EQ because of it's clean power, and combined with clean and smart EQ (the Loki) every headphone you have with dynamic capability and low distortion develops multiple personality disorder :imp:

I've noticed cans using planar drivers seem to absorb more bass boost than dynamic drivers, they might be the ideal choice for the magni loki combo.

I am quite agree with this actually. I have both of them and they pair pretty well with each other. I only used them with dynamic headphones but I am getting lcd2c in the future and see how the combo works with planar.

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #621 of 2,593
I placed my order for one today Unfortunately They are on backorder 7 to 10 Business days.
I just got mine today, and trust me, it's more than worth the wait!

Even after only a couple hours of warm-up, it sounds stupid good for $99!! It definitely betters the Magni 2U in the mids, treble and soundstage! :grin:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #622 of 2,593
Someone else used the term "compressed" in here, so I just borrowed that term--I think they were referring to soundstage and imaging. If I recall correctly, every amp I have, or have had, had better soundstage and imaging than the 2U. But I first noticed this when I compared the 2U to the Nuforce HA-200 I had at the time. Granted, the HA-200 is a class A amp and retails at over $100 more than the 2U. However, I must add, that soundstage and imaging were the only issues I've had with the 2U. Other than that, I think it's a fine amp.

I mentioned that the magni 2 was compressed. It is. That's what I meant. Quieter elements in the audio are pushed forward. It gives you the initial impression of hearing more detail, but it's actually decreased dynamic range. Like someone slapped a compressor on the signal. Again, I don't know if the magni 3 does the same thing. Apparently, it doesn't.

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #623 of 2,593

Even after only a couple hours of warm-up, it sounds stupid good for $99!! It definitely betters the Magni 2U in the mids, treble and soundstage! :grin:
I just got the news They shipped Mine Out today. Since I'm less than two hours away from the factory it Should be here tomorrow. I can't wait.

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #624 of 2,593

I'm curious to hear your impressions about driving the TH-X00 EBs with the Magni 3 compared to your other amps. I found that my TH-X00 EBs really cleaned up and became more lively with the Magni 3 compared to the Vali 2 I was using previously.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #625 of 2,593
I'm curious to hear your impressions about driving the TH-X00 EBs with the Magni 3 compared to your other amps. I found that my TH-X00 EBs really cleaned up and became more lively with the Magni 3 compared to the Vali 2 I was using previously.
Hey, we're twins! :dt880smile:

To my ears, the Jot is still technically superior, but only with my most pristine sounding reference tracks. Anything less than perfection, and the Jot will tell you exactly how imperfect it is. :tired_face:
For everything other than my reference stuff, I'm actually preferring the Magni 3 over the Jot! :scream:

The Magni 3 has a uniquely pleasing character that's all its own. It's very transparent but without being harsh at all. I'm honestly a little shocked at how good it is, especially for the price. :heart_eyes:

So not to overhype things, 'cuz of course it's not perfect, but I honestly consider the Magni 3 to be 'entry-level end-game' (I just made that up!).

Major kudos to Jason for knocking it outta the park with this little guy!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #626 of 2,593
Hey, we're twins! :dt880smile:

To my ears, the Jot is still technically superior, but only with my most pristine sounding reference tracks. Anything less than perfection, and the Jot will tell you exactly how imperfect it is. :tired_face:
For everything other than my reference stuff, I'm actually preferring the Magni 3 over the Jot! :scream:

The Magni 3 has a uniquely pleasing character that's all its own. It's very transparent but without being harsh at all. I'm honestly a little shocked at how good it is, especially for the price. :heart_eyes:

So not to overhype things, 'cuz of course it's not perfect, but I honestly consider the Magni 3 to be 'entry-level end-game' (I just made that up!).

Major kudos to Jason for knocking it outta the park with this little guy!

I wouldnt say its transparent. Compared to all the rest of my Amps it has less Sub-bass and has un-necessary treble peaks at a specific high frequency.

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #627 of 2,593
I wouldnt say its transparent. Compared to all the rest of my Amps it has less Sub-bass and has un-necessary treble peaks at a specific high frequency.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. 'Tis the way of the world.... :thinking:

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #628 of 2,593

I am quite agree with the sub-bass but never had any issue with treble peaks. What kind of headphone that you use?

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #629 of 2,593
I am quite agree with the sub-bass but never had any issue with treble peaks. What kind of headphone that you use?

I tried 1More Quad drivers, Yamaha YH-2, Denon AH-D7200, Denon AH-MM400, Panasonic RP-HD10.
It appears on all of them, if you dont listen to piano music then its unlikely you will come across it.
It can also happen in certain violin pieces.

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #630 of 2,593
Hmmm...had harshness with my original M/M stack...not with M3. That said, I haven't hooked it up to the original Modi and am beginning to wonder if that's the primary culprit in my old work set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back