Magni 3 Impressions
Oct 10, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #586 of 2,593
thanks! I'll see how I can work that out I guess.
Using the Mimby to KEFs directly would mean that my Magni3 (and thus headphones) would have no access to the Mimby - there's only one pre-out on the Mimby

You don't need to do that if your speakers have volume control. I was running into the same issue and i just turned the volume down on the speakers to half way. Now, even if I use high gain of the M3 there is no distortion. Hope this helps.

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #587 of 2,593
You don't need to do that if your speakers have volume control. I was running into the same issue and i just turned the volume down on the speakers to half way. Now, even if I use high gain of the M3 there is no distortion. Hope this helps.

hmm. thanks! just to confirm - what's the volume setting on your Magni3 then when you are using speakers?

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #588 of 2,593
hmm. thanks! just to confirm - what's the volume setting on your Magni3 then when you are using speakers?

Right now I'm running it at 11 o clock/noon. I'm also using a OTG cable for my DAC so if you're using a desktop solution with high output voltage you shouldn't need to turn it up very much at all.

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #589 of 2,593

On my Audioengine A2s, the instructions recommended that I put the speakers' volume control at 2 o'clock and control the volume from the preamp. I got no distortion, but the speaker volume setting will probably be different for your speakers.

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #591 of 2,593
On my Audioengine A2s, the instructions recommended that I put the speakers' volume control at 2 o'clock and control the volume from the preamp. I got no distortion, but the speaker volume setting will probably be different for your speakers.

thanks guys! when you mean instructions, is it something from Audioengine or Schiit?

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #592 of 2,593
thanks guys! when you mean instructions, is it something from Audioengine or Schiit?

It was instructions from Audioengine. They recommended setting the speaker volume to 2 or 3 o'clock, if I recall correctly. Then, since the A2s have the volume control on the back of the left speaker, they said to control the volume from the preamp.

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #593 of 2,593
I might not need an amp--the ones I have are more than adequate--but I have been considering the O2. I like to mix-and-match my HD650 with different amps and I just got the Fostex T-X0, too, and it's quite power hungry.
I think the m3 sounds great with my hd650 and t50rp mk3. If you're in the fence, I'd say for $99 give it a try. To my ears the m3 sounds like a slightly clearer asgard 2. Not too bad for $99. Another amp I loved with the hd650 was the ifi scan se. The bass and treble toggles were really useful to fine tune the sound signatures of my headphones.

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #595 of 2,593
What amp do you have now?
The o2 is a great amp but only 600mw at 32ohm I think.

Fostex HP-V1, Tralucent T1, Ibasso PB3 Mockingbird, and my very first amp, the JDS Labs cMoyBB v2.03

The Fostex and Tralucent both push the HD650 and T-X0, and even the R70x when I had it, with ease. PB3 maxes out with the HD650 but interestingly not with the T-X0. However, the cMoy, which is more of a novelty item for me, pushes the HD650 but distorts with the T-X0.

I generally prefer portables and transportables so that I wouldn't be tethered to one spot but I'd buy a desktop amp again if it's a significant improvement and a good deal.

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #596 of 2,593
I used to have the Magni 2U, but I had an issue with the imaging. I found the sound to be, as some have described, too "compressed".
A long with some conflicting impressions, my experience with the Magni 2U has made me hesitant about buying the Magni 3
When you have good headphones and good amps the source becomes very important. No good amp can improve a bad source. What's your DAC?

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #597 of 2,593
Fostex HP-V1, Tralucent T1, Ibasso PB3 Mockingbird, and my very first amp, the JDS Labs cMoyBB v2.03

The Fostex and Tralucent both push the HD650 and T-X0, and even the R70x when I had it, with ease. PB3 maxes out with the HD650 but interestingly not with the T-X0. However, the cMoy, which is more of a novelty item for me, pushes the HD650 but distorts with the T-X0.

I generally prefer portables and transportables so that I wouldn't be tethered to one spot but I'd buy a desktop amp again if it's a significant improvement and a good deal.

I don't I don't think that any desktop amplifier is going to give you a significant improvement over what you already have. But if you need a nother portable amp I know that both fiio and Topping have some decent offerings for low prices. Also people speak highly of IFI products

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #598 of 2,593
It was instructions from Audioengine. They recommended setting the speaker volume to 2 or 3 o'clock, if I recall correctly. Then, since the A2s have the volume control on the back of the left speaker, they said to control the volume from the preamp.

thanks! don't think I have something like that for the KEF L50W :/

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #599 of 2,593
I don't I don't think that any desktop amplifier is going to give you a significant improvement over what you already have. But if you need a nother portable amp I know that both fiio and Topping have some decent offerings for low prices. Also people speak highly of IFI products

Is it the Topping NX2S?

When you have good headphones and good amps the source becomes very important. No good amp can improve a bad source. What's your DAC?

Previously, I used The Element by JDS Labs. Now, I just use my iBasso DX80 and Cayin N3 as DACs.

Other than that, I have an old Pioneer PL-570 record player and an old Yamaha CR-1020 receiver that I occasionally plug my headphones into.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back