Magni 3 Impressions
Oct 11, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #602 of 2,593
I’m going to get it figured out. I know Schiit has a great reputation and makes excellent gear from all my research. I appreciate all the help and recommendations. I’m just getting started down this rabbitt hole of a hobby! :smile_phones:
Check that your incoming volume settings are at least set to 90%. This includes your DAC volume if you can control it, but more importantly your PC volume settings and your audio player settings should be at least 90 % volume. Try that and check again. Also check that the cables are fully seated on your Sennheisers.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #603 of 2,593
thanks! I'll see how I can work that out I guess.
Using the Mimby to KEFs directly would mean that my Magni3 (and thus headphones) would have no access to the Mimby - there's only one pre-out on the Mimby
You could use something like this to split the output of the Mimby:
https://www.parts-express.com/gold-rca-y-(1)-male-to-(2)-right-angle-female-red--091-510
https://www.parts-express.com/parts...male-to-(2)-right-angle-female-black--091-515
might be the cheapest and easiest, I use these to split the output of my Bimby to two different amps and also to split the output of my UD-301 to two different amps.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #606 of 2,593
Previously, I used The Element by JDS Labs. Now, I just use my iBasso DX80 and Cayin N3 as DACs.

Other than that, I have an old Pioneer PL-570 record player and an old Yamaha CR-1020 receiver that I occasionally plug my headphones into.
If you had "compressed" imaging with the Magni 2U which amp(s) didn't have this "compression"? Given used with the same DAC/DAP.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #608 of 2,593
I don't listen to my equipment at my desk. I don't like being fixed to one spot when I listen to music. That isn't to say I'm not interested in an amp like the Magni 3--the M3 is small; the only thing cumbersome about it is that wall wart.
Oh okay, that makes sense then.
If I got a DAP it would have to be something that supports spotify.
Right now I have a iPod touch and that does everything I need since most of my listening outside of the house is in my cars and the iPod has the best interface.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #609 of 2,593
If you had "compressed" imaging with the Magni 2U which amp(s) didn't have this "compression"? Given used with the same DAC/DAP.

Someone else used the term "compressed" in here, so I just borrowed that term--I think they were referring to soundstage and imaging. If I recall correctly, every amp I have, or have had, had better soundstage and imaging than the 2U. But I first noticed this when I compared the 2U to the Nuforce HA-200 I had at the time. Granted, the HA-200 is a class A amp and retails at over $100 more than the 2U. However, I must add, that soundstage and imaging were the only issues I've had with the 2U. Other than that, I think it's a fine amp.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #610 of 2,593
Oh okay, that makes sense then.
If I got a DAP it would have to be something that supports spotify.
Right now I have a iPod touch and that does everything I need since most of my listening outside of the house is in my cars and the iPod has the best interface.

Yeah a lot of DAPs are buggy which why I haven't upgraded. But you can use Spotify with the Cayin N3 if you pair it up with your phone.

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #612 of 2,593
Yeah a lot of DAPs are buggy which why I haven't upgraded. But you can use Spotify with the Cayin N3 if you pair it up with your phone.
Which DAPs were "buggy" to you? I still have my original Fiio X3 (crap interface but great sounding), Fiio X3ii (decent but does not sound as good as the X3) and 2 Fiio X1, haven't had any problems with any but aside from the X3 none were/are used on a daily basis. Also just "inherited" a ipod touch from an old GF and I don't like that I have to use iTunes to load music on it.
My friend just got his Magni3 since it was too late to cancel the order so he said he'll give it a chance at his office for a few days and let me know what he thinks of it and might stop by to borrow my Asgard2.

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #613 of 2,593
Which DAPs were "buggy" to you? I still have my original Fiio X3 (crap interface but great sounding), Fiio X3ii (decent but does not sound as good as the X3) and 2 Fiio X1, haven't had any problems with any but aside from the X3 none were/are used on a daily basis. Also just "inherited" a ipod touch from an old GF and I don't like that I have to use iTunes to load music on it.

There are many accounts of various DAPs with problematic software and UI. Some Fiio DAPs are notoriously buggy, specifically the android based ones like the X5iii and X7.

I had an android-based Cowon Plenue that constantly crashed and froze. My DX80 was fraught with problems, too, but the very last firmware fixed most of it. I think the one lingering issue might be hardware-related.

In terms of software, the iPod and iTouch are very stable, which is no surprise. I have an old iPod with a click wheel that still works fine.

But DAPs have developed substantially in recent years; the Fiio X7ii is supposed to be really good.

My friend just got his Magni3 since it was too late to cancel the order so he said he'll give it a chance at his office for a few days and let me know what he thinks of it and might stop by to borrow my Asgard2.

I'm looking forward to your impression of the Magni 3.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #615 of 2,593
thanks! what would you suggest to be a good volume to set the Magni3 at?
I always thought it should be 100% as any lower there's some vagueness and randomness to it :/

I suggest you set the speakers at a fixed volume (assuming they have a volume control?) and control the volume from the Magni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back