Magni 3 Impressions
Sep 29, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #288 of 2,593
When you get the M3 please post you impressions compared to the M2U that you have.

That was my plan. It make take me a while since work is kind of crazy now (midterms and a conference coming up, all magnified by the fact that we lost the 2nd week of the semester to Harvey), but I will certainly post at some point.

I will say I was impressed how fast Schiit processed the order--I got the shipping notice and tracking number less than two hours after placing the order. Schiit's always been pretty good before but that's lightning-fast.

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #289 of 2,593
I have a Vali 2 and Mimby stack for now. My headphones are the K7XX and HD650.

Is the Magni 3 worth getting with these cans? I've only ever had the Vali 2 for an amp, which seems like a very good match for the K7XX and decent for the 650s. I wonder what both headphones will do with the M3 or Jotunheim though, or some other amp out there.

I've found that the Magni 3 gives the 650s a bit more life, it has more attack and a little more detail than the Vali 2 (with an EH 6922 tube in my case), bass is more defined and highs a bit crisper (but not harsh or sibilant). Not huge leaps mind you, but noticeable. Can't speak to the K7XX

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #290 of 2,593
I've found that the Magni 3 gives the 650s a bit more life, it has a bit more attack and a little more detail than the Vali 2 (with an EH 6922 tube in my case), bass is more defined and highs a bit crisper (but not harsh or sibilant). Not huge leaps mind you, but noticeable. Can't speak to the K7XX

Pretty much mirrors my findings exactly. Funny how so many Mimby & Vali 2 owners are considering or already have bought a Magni 3.

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #291 of 2,593
I've found that the Magni 3 gives the 650s a bit more life, it has more attack and a little more detail than the Vali 2 (with an EH 6922 tube in my case), bass is more defined and highs a bit crisper (but not harsh or sibilant). Not huge leaps mind you, but noticeable. Can't speak to the K7XX

I'm rather sensitive to treble so I bought the HD650 to experience the warmness everyone talks about... This amp wont make them sound less warm will it? I'm wondering if I should go tubular or not haha. thanks!

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #292 of 2,593
Pretty much mirrors my findings exactly. Funny how so many Mimby & Vali 2 owners are considering or already have bought a Magni 3.

At $99 it was just too tempting to give it a try, especially knowing I already liked Schiit's products

I'm rather sensitive to treble so I bought the HD650 to experience the warmness everyone talks about... This amp wont make them sound less warm will it? I'm wondering if I should go tubular or not haha. thanks!

I don't think the 650s and Magni 3 would pose any problem in terms of treble, the highs on the Magni 3 aren't harsh at all to my ears. It seems to me that the Magni 3 doesn't really affect the underlying characteristics of your headphones much. 650s are still gonna be smooth, pleasant headphones, the Magni 3 just gives them a lot of good, clean power to bring out their best. The Vali 2 does give you more flexibility to be able to alter the sound signature by swapping out tubes, which can be an advantage.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #293 of 2,593
I also have the Mimby & Vali 2 stack and got a Magni 3 the other day. I can't speak for the K7XX, but my HD650s and all the other headphones in my signature now seem a bit more lively & detailed with the Magni 3. The HD650s definitely benefit from the higher power output of the Magni 3. Overall, the Vali 2 has a softer signature than the Magni 3, but not in a bad way if you are into tubes. Thankfully, there is no harsh treble/brightness with the Magni 3 that can be found on many cheaper solid state amps. I truly enjoyed my Vali 2 over the past several months, but I plan to sell it since I now prefer the Magni 3.

Im ordering a Magni 3 tonight to use with my HD650! Your comment just got me even more hyped!!! I have been using them mostly un-amped or in a cheap sound card. (I have used them amped briefly) I love the signature of the HD650, but un-amped they have little bass and awful treble. I can't wait to hear it!

Thanks!

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #294 of 2,593
Im ordering a Magni 3 tonight to use with my HD650! Your comment just got me even more hyped!!! I have been using them mostly un-amped or in a cheap sound card. (I have used them amped briefly) I love the signature of the HD650, but un-amped they have little bass and awful treble. I can't wait to hear it!

Thanks!

I hope you enjoy it. What DAC do you plan to buy/use?

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #295 of 2,593
I hope you enjoy it. What DAC do you plan to buy/use?

Hopefully the Modi 3 will be released by the time I'm ready to buy a proper DAC; within 6 months or so. That said, I'm not the biggest believer in DAC "upgrades". As long as the DAC is decent I think it's good enough, at least for me. If a Modi 3 is released I WILL buy it, if not I will get a Modi 2. For now I plan to use my sound cards Line Out and a Sony CD player as the primary sources.

Also have you plugged your HD598 SE into your Magni 3? If so whats it like?
(I have a HD598 SE too...)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #296 of 2,593
I don't think the 650s and Magni 3 would pose any problem in terms of treble, the highs on the Magni 3 aren't harsh at all to my ears. It seems to me that the Magni 3 doesn't really affect the underlying characteristics of your headphones much. 650s are still gonna be smooth, pleasant headphones, the Magni 3 just gives them a lot of good, clean power to bring out their best. The Vali 2 does give you more flexibility to be able to alter the sound signature by swapping out tubes, which can be an advantage.

Awesome, sounds like a great choice then! I've just heard that the modi 2 and o2 are both rather bright amplifiers... I'm leaning towards the M3 with Multibit and then maybe add the vali as triple stack, or bottlehead crack down the line. Thanks!

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #297 of 2,593
At $99 it was just too tempting to give it a try, especially knowing I already liked Schiit's products

When you and many others say the amp sounds neutral or when the jot sounds bright, what Equipment are you using as reference in the first place for "colorless sound reprodecution" and how can one say that headphone x isnt supposed to sound what its meant to be on the jot compared to mag3. Did everyone have the same standard in dac/amp when it was the first time hearing their respective headphones?

Just playing a bit of the devils advocate here.. and trying to get some of your feedback

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #300 of 2,593
When you and many others say the amp sounds neutral or when the jot sounds bright, what Equipment are you using as reference in the first place for "colorless sound reprodecution" and how can one say that headphone x isnt supposed to sound what its meant to be on the jot compared to mag3. Did everyone have the same standard in dac/amp when it was the first time hearing their respective headphones?

Just playing a bit of the devils advocate here.. and trying to get some of your feedback

Ultimately it's all relative, I can only judge by the equipment I've used

Users who are viewing this thread

Back