Magni 3 Impressions
Dec 17, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #1,126 of 2,593
Same here. '650's on low gain on my office rig. I'm never over 10:00 for medium office friendly levels.

Wow, I have to use high gain and regularly am at 12:00.

Me too...and even then it's missing some dynamics (on mine). I sent a note to Schiit and see if there is additional troubleshooting I can do. Otherwise I believe they will have to take a look at my amp and see if it is defective.

Something missing in this conversation is system interaction. What is the gain of the device driving the Magni 3? It's a huge variable on loudness of downstream amplification devices. But has little to nothing to do with the power capacity of that device. Impedance differences between components is another potential variable, but not usually significant in well designed line level devices. It's easy to conflate and confuse power output capability and loudness based on where the volume control knob is set, but it's not that simple. The best idea is to forget where the level control is set and instead ask yourself "am I hearing clipping compression"? If you are not hearing it the device is very likely still well within it's "clean" power output capability.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #1,127 of 2,593
Something missing in this conservation is system interaction. What is the gain of the device driving the Magni 3? It's a huge variable on loudness of downstream amplification devices. But has little to nothing to do with the power capacity of that device. Impedance differences between components is another potential variable, but not usually significant in well designed line level devices. It's easy to conflate and confuse power output capability and loudness based on where the volume control knob is set, but it's not that simple. The best idea is to forget where the level control is set and instead ask yourself "am I hearing clipping compression"? If you are not hearing it the device is very likely still well within it's "clean" power output capability.

I commented on it earlier in this thread and reported that my Magni 3 had more than enough power and drove my HE-500 far louder than I could listen, coming from my Yulong U100 DAC, but that I was also surprised that my cheap Samson QH4 amp went even louder than the Magni 3.

In any case, I’m certainly satisfied with my Magni 3 and that’s all that matters for me concerning it.

I like that it gives me much better results with low impedance headphones as I have much better control on the pot than with my stepped volume on the built-in amp on the Yulong U100.

Dec 17, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #1,128 of 2,593
Something missing in this conversation is system interaction. What is the gain of the device driving the Magni 3? It's a huge variable on loudness of downstream amplification devices. But has little to nothing to do with the power capacity of that device. Impedance differences between components is another potential variable, but not usually significant in well designed line level devices. It's easy to conflate and confuse power output capability and loudness based on where the volume control knob is set, but it's not that simple. The best idea is to forget where the level control is set and instead ask yourself "am I hearing clipping compression"? If you are not hearing it the device is very likely still well within it's "clean" power output capability.

PS - Should have mentioned it's not necessarily a good idea to turn up a powerful amp until you hear clipping distortion just to asses headroom envelope of that device. That would be a good way to damage your hearing :ksc75smile:

If the device sounds "clean" at every level you would normally listen you're good to go.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #1,129 of 2,593
PS - Should have mentioned it's not necessarily a good idea to turn up a powerful amp until you hear clipping distortion just to asses headroom envelope of that device. That would be a good way to damage your hearing :ksc75smile:

If the device sounds "clean" at every level you would normally listen you're good to go.

Haha, well, no, as I reported earlier in this thread, the headphones were definitely not on my head when I did that.

I first assessed loudness with them on and then as they got too loud, I took them off.

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #1,130 of 2,593
Me too...and even then it's missing some dynamics (on mine). I sent a note to Schiit and see if there is additional troubleshooting I can do. Otherwise I believe they will have to take a look at my amp and see if it is defective.
Yeah, same.

With a 2 Vrms Sabre DAC, I needed the Magni 3 on about 1-3 low gain but up to 11 on full for HD558, and 12-3 full gain for K612. It really depended on the song's source. Either way, this seemed wrong for something so powerful especially since others need it way lower. It was like all of the power was cramped higher up the pot so below a certain point, the sound was faint and changing the volume didn't make much of a difference. After that point, changing the volume made a significant difference in small increments (but was then too loud).

I tested the Sabre DAC with an SMSL M3 which puts out 85mW into a 64 ohm load whereas Magni 3 puts out 1.3mW into a 50 ohm load. I was surprised that it got louder and for sure sounds more full-bodied even with the K612 (on exceptionally quiet recordings, it's much too quiet even maxed however). It is comfortably loud between 11 and halfway for either headphone and is too loud past 1. It isn't thin across the pot and sounds like it's outputting all of its power instead of recessing it even though it doesn't have enough to properly drive the K612. This confirmed to me that my Magni 3 at least sounded like it lacked power for some reason even though it definitely has more and much better headroom.

Then I read about two other owners having the exact same issue. I contacted Schiit and they suggested switching cables but that didn't help. I sent it back thinking mine had a defect but was told it didn't, so I got a full refund and was planning to order from another store with Schiit's RCA PYST cable. Thanks to -ImageX and DavidA, I now think my Magni 3 RCA jacks didn't make good contact with the cables I used.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #1,131 of 2,593

I haven't heard the Magni 3 yet, but this reviewer on YT noted that the Magni 3 sounded compressed. That was the first thing I noticed about the Magni 2. As long as you have a good connection to your source, I don't know how much trouble shooting you can do. A signal, is a signal. The amp will do, what it do. Either the amp works, or it doesn't.

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #1,132 of 2,593
I haven't heard the Magni 3 yet, but this reviewer on YT noted that the Magni 3 sounded compressed. That was the first thing I noticed about the Magni 2. As long as you have a good connection to your source, I don't know how much trouble shooting you can do. A signal, is a signal. The amp will do, what it do. Either the amp works, or it doesn't.

I have to wonder what headphones he's driving with it. That was a pretty damning review, and not at all with my experience. FWIW, I drive HD-800s with it, and have driven HD-600s just for comparison's sake.

I'm also going to have to view his other reviews to see if he knows his stuff. I've seen some pretty clueless youtube reviewers and I don't know what his level of expertise really is.

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #1,133 of 2,593

I could take him more seriously if he'd ditch those ear gauges, the "I'm edgy shirt... no really, did you see my gauges"? and comb/wash his hair.

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #1,134 of 2,593
I have to wonder what headphones he's driving with it. That was a pretty damning review, and not at all with my experience. FWIW, I drive HD-800s with it, and have driven HD-600s just for comparison's sake.

I'm also going to have to view his other reviews to see if he knows his stuff. I've seen some pretty clueless youtube reviewers and I don't know what his level of expertise really is.

I hear you. I've watched a lot of his reviews (and other people's). Taste is subjective, but he's experienced. He's heard a lot of gear. Judging dynamics is a more objective (and easier) task. Especially if you are a content creator and work with raw audio. Either there is a natural/original dynamic gap with your listening device/amp, or a narrower dynamic gap. If it's narrower, then the sound is being compressed.

I could take him more seriously if he'd ditch those ear gauges, the "I'm edgy shirt... no really, did you see my gauges"? and comb/wash his hair.

Don't worry... in 20 years, I guarantee he'll have regretted the decision to put holes in his earlobes. :)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #1,135 of 2,593
I just got a Magni 3 with a Cthulu wall-wart included at no extra charge. Really nice bonus, considering I've got a Loki and Modi Multibit too. Hope others were as fortunate this Christmas Schiit power supply shortage!

Dec 22, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #1,136 of 2,593
Did you buy all of them now, in one purchase? Even so, that's a nice touch from Schiit!

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #1,137 of 2,593
Some Magni 3's were shipped with Cthulus because their wall-wart supply was short, but they wanted to get Christmas shipments out in a reasonable amount of time. Jason pasted the note in his thread that comes along with the package explaining the "bonus."

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #1,138 of 2,593
Cthulus ?
cthulhu_rising_by_somniturne1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back