Magni 3 Impressions
Nov 21, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #1,006 of 2,593
Holy $h1t, just got the Shiit Stack today with a new pair of AKG K712. I am so glad I went with this instead of the X2s. The bass, clarity, soundstage is all amazing. I tried out my DT 770 pro 80 with the stack and it was ok, trebles are a little sharp but very clear and detailed. The HD 598s sounded amazing as well, definitely brings out the meds well. I would say the K712s are the best of both worlds, happy medium between the two. Great bass, soundstage, clarity and treble. I honestly think I am done with headphones, I found the pair that's perfect! And did I mention comfort? AKG is the best!!!!!!!! A lot more comfortable than the 598s or the 770s

Enjoy the music! :k701smile:

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #1,007 of 2,593
Holy $h1t, just got the Shiit Stack today with a new pair of AKG K712. I am so glad I went with this instead of the X2s. The bass, clarity, soundstage is all amazing. I tried out my DT 770 pro 80 with the stack and it was ok, trebles are a little sharp but very clear and detailed. The HD 598s sounded amazing as well, definitely brings out the meds well. I would say the K712s are the best of both worlds, happy medium between the two. Great bass, soundstage, clarity and treble. I honestly think I am done with headphones, I found the pair that's perfect! And did I mention comfort? AKG is the best!!!!!!!! A lot more comfortable than the 598s or the 770s

What's in the Schiit stack?

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #1,008 of 2,593
Just bought a brand new Magni 3 off ebay for $80. Looking forward to listening to my new setup. Going to be rocking a Modi 2 Uber with Magni 3 through a new pair of AKG K712. Hoping it will be an upgrade from my current ps4 setup of DSS and HD 598.
I got my Magni 3 last week, and I am officially in love. I've always had tubed gear and have most recently been listening through a Dark Voice 336, which I love, but which just didn't have enough volume for me. So I bought the Magni to provide that power, hoping that the sound would not be too brittle and mechanical (I favor tube gear because it always seems more musical, flowing, and engaging). In that regard, I couldn't be happier. The Magni gives me the ideal balance of musicality, flow, precision, engagement, life, detail, weight, and effortlessness. The music just appears. The instruments and voices are distinct in timbre and space, yet all part of an organic whole. The bass is solid and deep without any hint of bloat (the thing I'm most sensitive to). The treble is naturally extended without the slightest hint of harshness or strain. But the most impressive thing of all is that I'm not thinking about any of these things when I'm listening; I'm just utterly involved in the music. And that's the point, of course.

I'm listening to it in this system: a MacBook Pro running the latest version of Audirvana into an AudioQuest Jitterbug into a Fiio X5 II as a DAC, and then into the Schiit going out to my Etymotic ER4 RS phones. That combination is giving me the most satisfying, engaging music I've yet heard. The fact that the components are all modestly priced only makes it more satisfying. In the past I've used Audio Research, Quicksilver, Cary, and a variety of other high-end equipment, which makes it all the more amazing to me that this inexpensive setup is giving me everything I want. And, as so often happens in audio, it's not any one component that's making it work, but the combination of all of them. You could buy a Magni or the Etymotics or the Fiio and put them in your system and not hear what I'm hearing (though the Etymotics always sound amazing in any system). Certainly, I've had all these components hooked up in different configurations without getting to nirvana. But once I put them together with the Magni 3, magic happened.

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #1,009 of 2,593
Upgraded my stack at work to a Modi Multibit and Magni 3 to feed DT 770 250 ohm headphones. Superb upgrade from my existing Modi Uber and Magni 2. If Santa is nice this year I hope to get an Eitr to replace the Wyrd. Highly, highly recommended.

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #1,016 of 2,593
First Repy to this awesome forum and i'm hoping some of you Top Audiophiles can help me out. Ive just got the modi 2 uber and magni 3 but i also have a little Dot mkII tube Amp is there a way a can connect all these up together and use the magni as my headphone source. Maybe next year i will get the Valhalla 2 or 3 if and when it comes out but until then the little dot will do.

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,017 of 2,593
First Repy to this awesome forum and i'm hoping some of you Top Audiophiles can help me out. Ive just got the modi 2 uber and magni 3 but i also have a little Dot mkII tube Amp is there a way a can connect all these up together and use the magni as my headphone source. Maybe next year i will get the Valhalla 2 or 3 if and when it comes out but until then the little dot will do.
You can run an rca split(Y) cable out of the modi, and run separate rca to your magni and little dot simultaneously

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #1,018 of 2,593
PC USB Output <-----> Input Modi 2U Output <-----> Input LD MK2 Output <-----> Input Magni 3 -----> Headphone
I hope you've figured it out.

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #1,019 of 2,593
You can run an rca split(Y) cable out of the modi, and run separate rca to your magni and little dot simultaneously

PC USB Output <-----> Input Modi 2U Output <-----> Input LD MK2 Output <-----> Input Magni 3 -----> Headphone
I hope you've figured it out.

Thanks for your time in replying, i did think to myself this was the best way but after reading the Dot's manual it states not to use it as a pre-amp im i right saying that is what you suggest i do. Ignore my dumb questions but im pretty new to all this. Also has anyone got any recommendation's for a good splitter and not a cheap looking one. Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,020 of 2,593

Many way to do it:
Use a Schiit SYS/Saga to split the signal or go even cheaper with something like this:
https://www.parts-express.com/gold-rca-y-(1)-male-to-(2)-right-angle-female-red--091-510
https://www.parts-express.com/parts...male-to-(2)-right-angle-female-black--091-515
or
https://www.parts-express.com/rca-male-to-dual-rt-angle-rca-female--091-1045

Users who are viewing this thread

Back