Magni 3 Impressions
Nov 20, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #991 of 2,593
So Magni 3 is an ideal entry level Amp, when shiit will make an similar entry level Multibit DAC for this amp ...
Modi Mbit should be cheaper to make a perfect under $200 or exactly $200 stack ...
I really doubt that you will hear any difference between modi mb and delta sigma unless you have $800+ headphones. Then if you have trained ears (to hear differences in electronics in particular) then maybe you'll hear something. That said I couldn't hear a thing with fostex th-610 + magni 3. Consider that I played some musical instruments for a number of years and still can easily tell if the instrument is not tuned up properly.
One more thing - I read somewhere that MB DACs should be turned on for a while (up to days :deadhorse:) to reveal their full potential. Don't know whether it's true. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #992 of 2,593
I really doubt that you will hear any difference between modi mb and delta sigma unless you have $800+ headphones. Then if you have trained ears (to hear differences in electronics in particular) then maybe you'll hear something. That said I couldn't hear a thing with fostex th-610 + magni 3. Consider that I played some musical instruments for a number of years and still can easily tell if the instrument is not tuned up properly.
One more thing - I read somewhere that MB DACs should be turned on for a while (up to days :deadhorse:) to reveal their full potential. Don't know whether it's true. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
This is absolutely true and based on scientific fact.
The MB DACs actually need to warm up. Multibit DACs use what's called resistor ladders in their design, and the values of resistors actually aren't fixed. They change based on their temperature, and are often designed based on their values while they are warm. If you listen to the DAC before the resistors warm up, their values may not be what the rest of the DAC was designed to expect. So run MB DACs warm.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #993 of 2,593
From what I've personally heard you might want to check Jotunheim. Especially balanced. Mjolnir 2 is great but it's way more expansive and balanced output even more preferred here because of the cyclotron design. I would love to hear Asgard 2 and Cayin IHA-6 some day.
Apparently so, in the realm of weeks for the Yggdrasil, I hear from a number of users and reviewers.
BTW, an earlier comment from someone who had just bought an Magni 3 and immediately compared it to his old system, found he was unhappy with the sound and was considering selling it on, please give it some time! It's new out of the box, the sig changes over several days, fills out, smooths out.

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #994 of 2,593
Wow, then I have to confess, I was listening to cold DACs... Sounds like you have to buy 2 DACs and return one in a week :head_bandage:

And regarding Magni 3 - I didn't notice much of a difference in sound right out of the box and few days later while listening on my hd598.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #995 of 2,593

Maybe you won't, but I certainly did, and I don't have "trained ears" -- whatever that means. I just pay attention and have some decent source material. The latter is very important. My test tracks got demoted when I didn't notice a difference on them, but was blown away by an obscure track that I hadn't paid much attention to before.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #996 of 2,593
I believe it has been mentioned numerous times throughout the Bifrost MB and Modi MB threads that these DACs need to be plugged in and turned on all the time in order to achieve constant thermal equilibrium...AND...to sound their best. I even contacted Schiit about this and they said that it doesn't hurt the DAC leaving it continuously powered, they even recommended it. I have 2 turntable setups with stand alone phono preamps that have been powered on for years.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #997 of 2,593
Maybe you won't, but I certainly did, and I don't have "trained ears" -- whatever that means. I just pay attention and have some decent source material. The latter is very important. My test tracks got demoted when I didn't notice a difference on them, but was blown away by an obscure track that I hadn't paid much attention to before.

Yep, maybe you're right. Thank you for reminding me.
1) I've got the material you was telling me about. Didn't come across MB dac that was powered on for a while yet.
2) As I stated above, I was listening to cold Modi MB, out of the box. Maybe that's the reason I didn't notice much difference.
3) I don't know the headphones you are using.
4) Maybe I wasn't in a mood and/or didn't convince myself that I'm hearing anything different.
5) One should decide if it's worth his/her money spent if the difference can be heard only with small amount of music that one has.

Don't know, hopefully gonna find out with my next DAC iteration, but it probably belongs to different thread :)

Edited: added 5th

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #998 of 2,593
Yep, maybe you're right. Thank you for reminding me.
1) I've got the material you was telling me about. Didn't come across MB dac that was powered on for a while yet.
2) As I stated above, I was listening to cold Modi MB, out of the box. Maybe that's the reason I didn't notice much difference.
3) I don't know the headphones you are using.
4) Maybe I wasn't in a mood and/or didn't convince myself that I'm hearing anything different.

Don't know, hopefully gonna find out with my next DAC iteration, but it probably belongs to different thread :)

Headphones were HD-600 and HD-800. I bet I could notice the difference with Sony MDR-V6s, though!
Amp was an original Magni.
Hopefully this falls under fair use: http://www.pinewood-wireless.net/demo.flac

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #999 of 2,593
Nov 20, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #1,000 of 2,593
Just my two cents but I started with a Magni 3 + Modu 2U stack and gave it 2 weeks and ended up trading the Modi 2U for the modi multibit. I heard the difference a lot more when I listened to live recordings and acoustic material, there was more detail and fullness, and it did have a bit of an advantage all around. For an extra 100 I think that it is worthwhile upgrade. I also couldn't discern much of a difference between the Mimby and Bimby if that means anything.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #1,001 of 2,593
Just my two cents but I started with a Magni 3 + Modu 2U stack and gave it 2 weeks and ended up trading the Modi 2U for the modi multibit. I heard the difference a lot more when I listened to live recordings and acoustic material, there was more detail and fullness, and it did have a bit of an advantage all around. For an extra 100 I think that it is worthwhile upgrade. I also couldn't discern much of a difference between the Mimby and Bimby if that means anything.

You shouldn't. Bimby is higher tolerance components, AFAIK, but the DACs are the same. It's also modular and upgradable.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #1,002 of 2,593
You shouldn't. Bimby is higher tolerance components, AFAIK, but the DACs are the same. It's also modular and upgradable.

Yeah I agree, but I definitely heard a difference between the Modi 2U and Bifrost 4490. I just thought it was interesting. I get the upgradable nature, but at that point I would just move up to the Gungnir. Again, it's all subjective I guess.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #1,005 of 2,593
Holy $h1t, just got the Shiit Stack today with a new pair of AKG K712. I am so glad I went with this instead of the X2s. The bass, clarity, soundstage is all amazing. I tried out my DT 770 pro 80 with the stack and it was ok, trebles are a little sharp but very clear and detailed. The HD 598s sounded amazing as well, definitely brings out the meds well. I would say the K712s are the best of both worlds, happy medium between the two. Great bass, soundstage, clarity and treble. I honestly think I am done with headphones, I found the pair that's perfect! And did I mention comfort? AKG is the best!!!!!!!! A lot more comfortable than the 598s or the 770s

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back