Magni 3 Impressions
Aug 19, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #1,846 of 2,593
I had this problem and then realized the Magni 3 really needs a 2V signal coming in from the DAC otherwise it will sound anemic with the HD6XX. Not sure what voltage you get straight out of the MacBook Pro.... Try and make sure you have the max volume output from the laptop.

Correct. And, you need to be aware that the volume control on the Magni 3 itself has had the logarithmic movement extended and smoothed to allow a finer gradation of volume than the previous models. I regularly run my 600ohm HD540 Ref1s at between 1pm and 3pm and the 300 ohm HD6xx, when I had them, wouldn't be far off that and with plenty of volume, depending on the recording level. That's using the Mimby.
I also occasionally run the a-gd R2R-11 as a DAC into the M3 with great results and loads of volume. Both DACs are excellent, just different flavours. Both are very musical bits of kit!

X5iii has a 1.8Vrms output so still short of the 2V the Magni 3 needs. May be close enough...haven't heard the combo nor seen anyone report on it.

Should be fine with 1.8vrms output from fiio x5 3rd gen, have no issues with my fiio x7mk2, it has the same line out power output. The magni does not need anything, there is no reuired spec for line input, it supports up to a certain point, after which the input source would start clipping it. Only issue one would run into with a source that outputs lower line out voltage will be lower overall power than from a device with higher power. My brothers x7 first gen has no problems either and it only has 1,4vrms line out signal.

The Magni3 should work well with 1.5-2V rms, it’s only the Modi Multibit that outputs 2V, the Modi2 and Modi2 Uber both output 1.5V.

Like I mentioned before I used to use an iPad air 2 into the Magni before my Mimby arrived. I also used a Chromecast Audio, and my pixel 2 using the dongle into the Magni. The Chromecast audio puts out 2.0v the iPad and Google dongle do not. All three devices easily power the Magni 3 and HD6XX to ear splitting levels at either gain.
That being said I found the DAC chip to sound way better out of my iPad then either the CCA or Google Dongle. I would dare say the output voltage of your devices are less of an issue then folks are making them out to be. Anemic and hollow sounding would probably be the results of poor quality DACs, streaming bit rate, computer settings, EQ settings, or even yes the possibility of faulty equipment, both Schiit and laptop, etc. I really don't think the output voltage of any of the devices listed earlier will have any impact, positive or negative on the SQ the magni puts out. I really enjoy my Mimby, but could happily use Magni and HD6XX with my iPad air 2 if needed.
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio.html?m=1
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/02/measurements-apple-ipad-air-2-audio.html?m=1

I stream via Spotify mostly, highest quality settings. Some Amazon and I Heart Radio.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #1,847 of 2,593
I just got a magni 3 and have had it playing all day through my Sennheiser hd 558s. First impressions are that the magni 3 is very smooth sounding amp. Its getting the signal from a Topping d50 dac and the whole setup works very well together.

I'm using Magni 3 and Topping D50, and really like the combo also. Also good I think is EQ with JRiver and HifiMan 400s. Would also like to add Loki mini for EQ on streaming. Good stuff!

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #1,848 of 2,593
I am looking to upgrade from my Mayflower Arc and I already got a Modi Multibit dac but I am wondering whether to go with the Magni 3 or Asgard 2 and am curious why the Asgard 2 is $250 vs $100 for the Magni 3 even though the Magni 3 has more power and seems to have “better” specs throughout.

I seee the Argard 2 is class A which I am not familiar is that makes a difference or not compared to the Magni 3.

Both are well in my budget and might even consider going with a Lyr 3 with SS tube (especially while gaming)because of how much praise the Lyr 3 gets.

My choices are pretty limited since I need a SE amp since I don’t run balanced so getting a Jotunheim or similar in the sub $500 price range is pointless because I know a balanced amp usually has a much worse performing unbalanced connection because the balanced amps even though have 1/4” they were designed to work best balanced.

I mainly use hd 700/650’s and hifiman 4XX but will be grabbing either Hifiman Anandas or Audeze lcd 2’s in the near future so its time to upgrade my amp/dac without going too crazy expensive

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #1,849 of 2,593
Hello guys,
i have the Magni2u and Asgard2, just bought a Magni 3 yesterday. My first impression is that Magni3 is a dark sounding amp. It sounds like a new Asgard rather than a Magni2u's successor. It doesn't make me wow like when I move from the A2 to the M2u. I will take time to listen to the M3 more. If anyone need a comparisons between the 3 amps just tell me.
ps: my dac is the mumby and my headphone is the lcd-2

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #1,850 of 2,593
I am looking to upgrade from my Mayflower Arc and I already got a Modi Multibit dac but I am wondering whether to go with the Magni 3 or Asgard 2 and am curious why the Asgard 2 is $250 vs $100 for the Magni 3 even though the Magni 3 has more power and seems to have “better” specs throughout.

I seee the Argard 2 is class A which I am not familiar is that makes a difference or not compared to the Magni 3.

Both are well in my budget and might even consider going with a Lyr 3 with SS tube (especially while gaming)because of how much praise the Lyr 3 gets.

My choices are pretty limited since I need a SE amp since I don’t run balanced so getting a Jotunheim or similar in the sub $500 price range is pointless because I know a balanced amp usually has a much worse performing unbalanced connection because the balanced amps even though have 1/4” they were designed to work best balanced.

I mainly use hd 700/650’s and hifiman 4XX but will be grabbing either Hifiman Anandas or Audeze lcd 2’s in the near future so its time to upgrade my amp/dac without going too crazy expensive
IMHO you only should buy the Asgard 2 if you like a warm tubey sounding ss amp. The magni2u has a better sound and cheaper.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #1,851 of 2,593
I just got a Magni 3, I moved from an SMSL audio Sap 2 pro and I'm not that impressed if I'm honest. The 2 pro is louder (even though the specs say the Magni should be far louder, I think?) and the music sounds like the instruments are playing much closer together.
I am using an SMSL Sanskrit 6th dac, should I upgrade my dac? Would it change/improve the sound at all?
I am happy with my selection of headphones, HD650s, Fidelio X2HRs and AKG K712 pro.... the problems i listed above are present across all headphones.

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #1,852 of 2,593
I just got a Magni 3, I moved from an SMSL audio Sap 2 pro and I'm not that impressed if I'm honest. The 2 pro is louder (even though the specs say the Magni should be far louder, I think?) and the music sounds like the instruments are playing much closer together.
I am using an SMSL Sanskrit 6th dac, should I upgrade my dac? Would it change/improve the sound at all?
I am happy with my selection of headphones, HD650s, Fidelio X2HRs and AKG K712 pro.... the problems i listed above are present across all headphones.
If you've only just received it, you really need to run it for a few days, at least let it settle in for 40-50 hours and relax with it for a while. It's naturally going to sound different than what you've been using previously, even if maybe only in a few details here and there .... or significantly so. So many new listeners also forget, or are not aware of the fact, that the taper of the volume control has been extended to allow for greater level control, it's not designed to get loud very quickly as many amps do, or used to. My own Magni 3 freed up in both sound stage, bass control and extension over a week of constant use. A brilliant match with the Mimby DAC, I have outstanding results with my 600 ohm Sennheiser HD540 Reference cans, as listed below and it's often running with the volume control set from 1-3:30pm, depending on the recorded level. I sold my far more expensive Valhalla 2 amplifier soon after I bought the Mimby to go with it, no contest.
While the Magni 3 doesn't have quite the mid bass drive and weight of some amps - like my R2R-11 - it's also more 3D and open, with wonderful extension and the combo with the Mimby has a finesse and natural organic expression that not only totally belies their price range, but leaves all sorts of other amps I've heard or have had on hand somewhat lacking in those areas and are well worth the very fine set of interconnects I use with them. They are my goto combo when I want my head, headphones and electronics to just disappear and I can relax into music that's alive and human.
I've had my Magni 3 for 10 months now and the Mimby a little less and neither of them are going anywhere! The combo with the Ref1s beats all comers as a holistic experience of music. Maybe you haven't found your's yet.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #1,853 of 2,593
I've had my Magni 3 for 10 months now and the Mimby a little less and neither of them are going anywhere! The combo with the Ref1s beats all comers as a holistic experience of music. Maybe you haven't found your's yet.

I’ve had my Magni3 and ModiMB for about ten months too, the last five of which I’ve listened to them with the HD6XX. I loved them before with my HD600, but with the HD6XX I just can’t get enough.. an amazing combo they are :)

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,854 of 2,593
If you've only just received it, you really need to run it for a few days, at least let it settle in for 40-50 hours and relax with it for a while. It's naturally going to sound different than what you've been using previously, even if maybe only in a few details here and there .... or significantly so. So many new listeners also forget, or are not aware of the fact, that the taper of the volume control has been extended to allow for greater level control, it's not designed to get loud very quickly as many amps do, or used to. My own Magni 3 freed up in both sound stage, bass control and extension over a week of constant use. A brilliant match with the Mimby DAC, I have outstanding results with my 600 ohm Sennheiser HD540 Reference cans, as listed below and it's often running with the volume control set from 1-3:30pm, depending on the recorded level. I sold my far more expensive Valhalla 2 amplifier soon after I bought the Mimby to go with it, no contest.
While the Magni 3 doesn't have quite the mid bass drive and weight of some amps - like my R2R-11 - it's also more 3D and open, with wonderful extension and the combo with the Mimby has a finesse and natural organic expression that not only totally belies their price range, but leaves all sorts of other amps I've heard or have had on hand somewhat lacking in those areas and are well worth the very fine set of interconnects I use with them. They are my goto combo when I want my head, headphones and electronics to just disappear and I can relax into music that's alive and human.
I had to Google what you meant by Mimby, why do people call it that?

Other people have mentioned the Schiit Multibit, what advantages does it have over the Modi 2 Uber as I have been thinking of buying a new dac anyway. I am also going to buy a Loki when the UK store gets more stock as I'd like to take out some of the bass on my X2s.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #1,856 of 2,593

Other people have mentioned the Schiit Multibit, what advantages does it have over the Modi 2 Uber as I have been thinking of buying a new dac anyway. I am also going to buy a Loki when the UK store gets more stock as if like to take the bass on my X2s.
The other DACs in the range all have their respective nick-names :) Mimby, Bimby, Gumby and Yggy, particularly relating to the Multi-bit versions.
Schiit's website will easily describe the differences between the Modi 2 Uber and the Multibit. The Mimby has a little more output than the other Modi models, is generally regarded as smoother and more organic and is essentially a simpler Bifrost Multibit, the circuit is basically the same though with an external transformer pack and is not upgradeable. I adore what my Mimby brings to musical and organic life.

Aug 27, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #1,857 of 2,593

Other people have mentioned the Schiit Multibit, what advantages does it have over the Modi 2 Uber as I have been thinking of buying a new dac anyway. I am also going to buy a Loki when the UK store gets more stock as if like to take the bass on my X2s.

While some say the Mimby is much better than the Modi2uber, to me its just a small improvement/slightly different tuning, and for some its not worth the cost since they can't hear the differences between them. I have a Bimby, Bifrost Uber, Modi2uber and Teac UD301 and have compared a Mimby, Gumby and Yggy that I've borrowed from friends. While most of my audiophile friends can hear differences between all of these DACs its not a night and day or huge difference and for some unless you are comparing them side by side most would find it hard to say which and if listening to them say 15 minutes apart its even harder/impossible to tell them apart. Another thing to consider is the headphones that one uses since some will show differences in DACs, amps, and tubes better than others.

Aug 27, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #1,858 of 2,593
While some say the Mimby is much better than the Modi2uber, to me its just a small improvement/slightly different tuning, and for some its not worth the cost since they can't hear the differences between them. I have a Bimby, Bifrost Uber, Modi2uber and Teac UD301 and have compared a Mimby, Gumby and Yggy that I've borrowed from friends. While most of my audiophile friends can hear differences between all of these DACs its not a night and day or huge difference and for some unless you are comparing them side by side most would find it hard to say which and if listening to them say 15 minutes apart its even harder/impossible to tell them apart. Another thing to consider is the headphones that one uses since some will show differences in DACs, amps, and tubes better than others.
I would agree with you for the most part, although if someone is only finding very small differences between a Mimby/Bimby and a fully run in and warmed up Yggy 2, then either their true listening ability - which comes from the heart, hearing is just a head thing and anyone can do that - is undeveloped (not a trace of offence is intended, deep listening is something that requires learning and experience and time) or they really should just go for the cheapest option because it's good enough for whatever reason. The "New Schiit Audio Yggrasil" thread is well worth a read for those wanting a possible expanded look at what's possible.
There is an ability inherent in the Schiit ladder/R2R DACs that goes beyond just hifi and that applies from Mimby to Yggy and also to the Audio-gd R2R-11. Whether one prefers more 'crispy critter' to the sound and less organic wholeness is up to the individual. That's why there is a range of gear from Modi's to Yggy's. I just have developed a personal preference for a complete lack of edge and upper midband sharpness/peakiness (yet still detailed) that applies from my home system to my head-fi. I used to be more dynamically crispy orientated, like many here, now I can only enjoy it if it comes with a complete lack of artificial edge. The interconnect between the Mimby and Magni 3 also makes a big difference to my overall harmony of experience, the Slinkylinks are sublime while being something many here would not even consider spending the money on. I totally understand that, fortunately I bought them years ago when I was a lot more flush with $$, yet they show magnificently that the Mimby DAC and the M3 are well worth it and allow me the results I have shared here before.

Aug 27, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #1,859 of 2,593

I recently got my magni 3 and while I found it smoother at lower volumes than my JDS Labs El Amp, it did seem to have a bit less sound stage and also got more fatiguing at higher volumes when using my Hifiman HE-400i phones. I've left the magni 3 on constant for almost a week while also playing music through the phones. I haven't really listened much to it in between because it wanted to see if I could notice differences without just getting used to it myself. It has smoothed out a bit and become less harsh at higher listening levels. The sound stage has opened up a bit as well, but still not as good as the EL Amp. The magni 3 has gotten a little fuller though and that is its best defining characteristic as opposed to the El Amp. The magni 3 comes off less refined, but gives you more of that "live" experience where you typically don't get the most refined sound in the first place.

Aug 27, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #1,860 of 2,593
I recently got my magni 3 and while I found it smoother at lower volumes than my JDS Labs El Amp, it did seem to have a bit less sound stage and also got more fatiguing at higher volumes when using my Hifiman HE-400i phones. I've left the magni 3 on constant for almost a week while also playing music through the phones. I haven't really listened much to it in between because it wanted to see if I could notice differences without just getting used to it myself. It has smoothed out a bit and become less harsh at higher listening levels. The sound stage has opened up a bit as well, but still not as good as the EL Amp. The magni 3 has gotten a little fuller though and that is its best defining characteristic as opposed to the El Amp. The magni 3 comes off less refined, but gives you more of that "live" experience where you typically don't get the most refined sound in the first place.
The Magni 3 can be more refined (and with an excellent wide and deep soundstage with the better recordings), it just depends on what comes before it and there are subtle improvements with age, the former being the biggest difference. Well noted though, with your impressions so far. I have the HE400S and although they are 'good', I don't actually like them with the Schiit stack, personally. The Senn HD540 Ref1s run all over them for intimate organic and sheer alive wholeness in this set-up. However, paired with the Questyle QP1R, they are fabulous! The QP1R also provides my best and purest source for the Schiit stack.
Where the Magni 3 can sometimes appear lacking is in the mid-bass punch and attack department, my R2R is fuller and weightier, I just prefer the greater overall transparency and linearity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back