Magni 3 Impressions
Sep 26, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #166 of 2,593
Hey the Magni 2 is $59 on amazon!!!

For driving the HD650, would there be a real difference between the Magni 2 and the Magni 3??
I know the Magni 3 is way more powerful, has more ports and a nicer build but realistically... Magni 2 for $59 or Magni 3 $99

If the Magni 3 is better even by a small bit I don't mind spending $99.
Is it still? I thought they sold out a week ago.

Either way I would spend a little extra for the Magni 3.

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #167 of 2,593
I think 30+shipping would be a good investment, in case you may regret about it within a half a year. Magni 3 is just a better amp. At max, it is 5 or 6 hours of work at minimum wage, right?

Is it still? I thought they sold out a week ago.

Either way I would spend a little extra for the Magni 3.

I think I have my decision made then... MAGNI 3.

Thanks guys! It was really helpful.

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #170 of 2,593
Hey the Magni 2 is $59 on amazon!!!

For driving the HD650, would there be a real difference between the Magni 2 and the Magni 3??
I know the Magni 3 is way more powerful, has more ports and a nicer build but realistically... Magni 2 for $59 or Magni 3 $99

If the Magni 3 is better even by a small bit I don't mind spending $99.

I have both the Jot and the Magni 2U, and there is a pretty big difference in SQ between them, with the Jot being better in every way.

The Jot creates a huge soundstage and sounds crystal clear without any noticeable distortion, while the Magni 2U sounds harsher and more closed-in when directly compared to the Jot.

And if the initial impressions of the Magni 3 are accurate, it seems like the M3 is significantly closer in SQ to the Jot, which would make it an incredible value and a no-brainer for anyone that's in the market for an inexpensive killer little amp.

I'll be getting an M3 in the next week or so, and I'll have more so say about it when I can directly compare all three of them together.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #171 of 2,593
If you had a phuc ton of current you don't know what to do with, XMOS would still end up being an anti-green power waster.
I'm not sure what you are getting at.... My xUSB uses 500ma for the XMOS interface + outputs.
The SMSL M8A can run on USB power.
Shanling has a XMOS portable dac as well.
Its very efficient in terms of power.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #172 of 2,593
I have both the Jot and the Magni 2U, and there is a pretty big difference in SQ between them, with the Jot being better in every way.

The Jot creates a huge soundstage and sounds crystal clear without any noticeable distortion, while the Magni 2U sounds harsher and more closed-in when directly compared to the Jot.

And if the initial impressions of the Magni 3 are accurate, it seems like the M3 is significantly closer in SQ to the Jot, which would make it an incredible value and a no-brainer for anyone that's in the market for an inexpensive killer little amp.

I'll be getting an M3 in the next week or so, and I'll have more so say about it when I can directly compare all three of them together.

Thanks! Great to hear from someone with direct experience with the Magni 2U and Jot.
I really don't want a harsh sound in any way, so I will stay away from the Magni 2 series.

I will be ordering the Magni 3 soon!

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #173 of 2,593
Thanks for your help guys! I made sure to give everyone who gave me advice a like. I'll look into getting an XLR cable for my Aeon and will keep the Magni 3 in mind for another listening station in the future. Maybe the office.

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #175 of 2,593
I have just now received my Magni 3...Hooked it up and have had it on while I work. This thing is super impressive, especially when you consider it's cost. For reference, I have a LD MkIII and a Meir Corda Aria for comparison. I am certainly enjoying the sound, haven't had it long enough to give a proper review. However the feedback here is all true, it really is revealing without being shrill, warm without being overly so. If you are on the fence, I'd argue that there isn't a better audio item you could spend your $100 on.

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #176 of 2,593
My crystal ball says that will not change the sound but you will believe it does. You might want to read this first if for no other reason than it's an opposing point of view. Most here will not agree but it's worth knowing both side of the story.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

I totally agree here, XLR is mostly for power purposes.
The reason you think it sounds better is due to the increased volume.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #177 of 2,593
I've had the magni since friday and have had ample listening time with my focal elears and LCD-2's ... IT is definitely a good amp for 99$ .. Unfortunately their are a few things that i've noticed but I think they might just be related to my headphones that i've been testing with . The elears sound great but i feel there is like a "veil" over vocals. I can't put my finger on it.. The same with my LCD-2's. I had tested with my jotunheim side by side balanced ( I don't think it made it any sq difference ) and the magni

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #178 of 2,593
Hey guys, I'm currently using the HD 800 on the valhalla 2 + modi 2 multibit, and I'd like to know if the Magni 3 could be a good match for my headphones? I also plan on buying the LCD 2.2 in a near future. Can the magni power/drive both pairs of headphones efficiently? Which sound signature would I get on both pairs?

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #179 of 2,593
I have just now received my Magni 3...Hooked it up and have had it on while I work. This thing is super impressive, especially when you consider it's cost. For reference, I have a LD MkIII and a Meir Corda Aria for comparison. I am certainly enjoying the sound, haven't had it long enough to give a proper review. However the feedback here is all true, it really is revealing without being shrill, warm without being overly so. If you are on the fence, I'd argue that there isn't a better audio item you could spend your $100 on.

How about the soundstage of M3 compared to LD3? Thanks

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #180 of 2,593
Hey guys, I'm currently using the HD 800 on the valhalla 2 + modi 2 multibit, and I'd like to know if the Magni 3 could be a good match for my headphones? I also plan on buying the LCD 2.2 in a near future. Can the magni power/drive both pairs of headphones efficiently? Which sound signature would I get on both pairs?

I drive my HD800S with Magni 3 at 9 o'clock on low gain. Barely have to move the volume control off zero. Magni has plenty of power. If you read what Jason Stoddard said today in his forum there is a very subtle comment which is simply that Magni 3 and Vidar enjoy his new advanced circuitry and Jot does not. Think about that. Magni 3 has no sound signature as such. It's neutral. I don't hear it as warm as do some. I think that's the absence of noise, grit and unpleasant sounds that comes across as warm. It's smooth but detailed. Whatever the 2 cans sound like is what you will hear, Magni 3 won't get in the way. Some say the HD800S is abrasively bright. I'm 75 so I don't hear sibilance anyway anymore. Just love Magni 3 and the HD800S. Don't own the LCD .2.2 so no comment there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back