MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Jan 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,232 of 1,382

That sylvania 5751 triple mica black plate was my favorite, by far with my RS1i......synergy out the ying yang.....enjoy  
smile.gif

Cool! Also very curious about Raytheon Windmill getter read a lot of good stuff ablut that tube. Have you tried it?

No I have not....but I am sure someone will chime in that has.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #1,233 of 1,382
I have been on the fence about getting one of these amps for 5 years or so now. I had the RS1 for years and the RS1i for the past 4 years that I have thoroughly enjoyed straight out of the jack on my Mcintosh MA6200. Every time I think about ordering one, I ask myself what I think is missing from what I have now and I honestly can't say that I'd change anything. Bass is punchy and deep, mids are to die for and the highs are super smooth. Then I get restless and come over here and read about the crazy synergy with this amp and I get curious. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #1,234 of 1,382
I haven't posted in years. Shame on me. I just wanted Dr. Peppard to know his Ear+ has given me countless hours of joy. Not just pleasure, JOY.

As far as tubes, I have several dozen laying around. Sylvania Gold Pins, Amperex, RCA Command, Siemens, you name it. But for my particular set up, (and don't listen to what anybody says unless they have a setup similar to yours) The GE 5751 triple mica, black plate, 5 star is far and away the best. And guess what? If you listen to as much music as I do, you will easily realize, that when you use tubes, every one is unique. That is the curse, but much more, the beauty of tubes.

In my case, I have 4 of the GE's. Not grey plates (they are a bit more fuzzy, not enough resolution for my taste), and each one is subtly different. At its best, the GE triple mica, black plate, 5 star is perfectly clear, with that elusive characteristic called balance. My source is Oppo's unbeatable listening value, the BDP 105. My headphones are Ultrasone Edition 9's which are considered here to be not well balanced. Well, "they" are right. But I'm not as young as I used to be and their so called failings, suit my ears perfectly. They are easy to drive and are a bit forward with a bit of emphasis in the bass. Sounds like Grados at their best, doesn't it? The Ultrasones are a bit smoother than the Grados I"ve known, but still with that forward presentation that Grados give.

Back to the Mad Ear+. The tubes remove any hint of graininess that your headphones may give while letting saxes, voices, and guitars stay at the front of the stage. Many have condemned the Ear+ for being a bit loose in the bass. If you listen to rock, blues, smooth jazz, etc, this is a damning criticism and one the Ear + deserves. But in my experience the GE tubes (must be black plate, triple mica, 5 star) tightens up the bass beautifully while maintaining that smooth forward mid to upper range that grabs your heart and says hang on, your ears and soul are in for a trip nothing else can give.

Tubes are praised for their smoothness, but they can be fast as well. I have Cream's Reunion at Royal Albert Hall blu ray on as I write this. Ginger Baker is in the midst of his drum solo. While Baker isn't Neil Pert or Keith Moon, he's still one of the rock greats. And the Ear + and GE is fast enough to not degrade the concussion of the kick drum or the splash or the cymbals. The drums simply sound real. Jack Bruce's bass is defined and clear to the point you know he is playing fretless. Clapton's guitar wails a plaintive sweetness. 

I have several headphone amps, including 2 legendary, hand  built Beta 22's, the class A balanced amp that could likely drive any of the speakers any of you own. Needless to say it effortlessly grabs your headphone drivers and bends them to its will. Yet when I have the urge for listening to headphones I fire up my Ear+. Why? Simply put, because it is the most real presentation of music, that lets me just disappear into the mind of the writer, composer and performer.

Dr. Peppard, I'd like to thank you for the many years of listening pleasure you've given me. GE, while, you've forgotten your tube production skills, I'd like to thank you. And Ultrasone, thank you for a headphone that matches my ears' particular flaws.

And that's what we search for, not the perfect headphone, perfect source or perfect amp, but the perfect combination that works with our flawed perception of sound to give us as perfect an experience as we are capable of.

And thank you headfi for providing a forum for us all to share our unique listening experiences.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #1,235 of 1,382

Re: the Raytheon windmill getter. Very sweet, but not quite the resolution of the GE triple mica black plate, 5 star. If you look on Dr. Peppard's site, he has a review of various tubes. I tend to agree with everything he has to say. The man knows his sound.

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #1,236 of 1,382

Re: the Raytheon windmill getter. Very sweet, but not quite the resolution of the GE triple mica black plate, 5 star. If you look on Dr. Peppard's site, he has a review of various tubes. I tend to agree with everything he has to say. The man knows his sound.

Hmmmmm.....i can't find the good dr's review of the tubes......you have a link  
smile.gif

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #1,237 of 1,382
  I have been on the fence about getting one of these amps for 5 years or so now. I had the RS1 for years and the RS1i for the past 4 years that I have thoroughly enjoyed straight out of the jack on my Mcintosh MA6200. Every time I think about ordering one, I ask myself what I think is missing from what I have now and I honestly can't say that I'd change anything. Bass is punchy and deep, mids are to die for and the highs are super smooth. Then I get restless and come over here and read about the crazy synergy with this amp and I get curious. 

If you can afford it, do it. You will not regret it. The RS1i does get that much better.

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #1,238 of 1,382
Feb 5, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,239 of 1,382
Feb 7, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #1,240 of 1,382
I finally took the plunge and contacted the good old Dr. Peppard and ordered a MAD Ear+ HD for my 15 yr old RS1.
I might even order a Line 2B SE preamp later if I find myself hooked to the tube sound..

Out of curiosity, what other headphones would you guys consider a good match with MAD Ear+ HD?

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #1,242 of 1,382
I am  going to be getting an OTL tube amp from Glenn...but I will be keeping my Mad Ear, no way I will be able to part with it...mine was like 6 or 8 years old when i bought it, and i have used it for 2 years and hardly have missed a day of not using it....other than when i have been away from home on vacation......works like new.

It is one great amp....I love it.

I have loved it with my RS1i....225i....SR60i.....HD650 and I am now using it with my HD800.

One of the finest pieces of audio equipment , that I have ever owned, and i am an old fart  
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #1,243 of 1,382
  I am  going to be getting an OTL tube amp from Glenn...but I will be keeping my Mad Ear, no way I will be able to part with it...mine was like 6 or 8 years old when i bought it, and i have used it for 2 years and hardly have missed a day of not using it....other than when i have been away from home on vacation......works like new.

It is one great amp....I love it.

I have loved it with my RS1i....225i....SR60i.....HD650 and I am now using it with my HD800.

One of the finest pieces of audio equipment , that I have ever owned, and i am an old fart  
tongue.gif

Nice...keep on enjoying it!
beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,244 of 1,382
Thanks , Joseph....I sure will.

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,245 of 1,382
  I haven't posted in years. Shame on me. I just wanted Dr. Peppard to know his Ear+ has given me countless hours of joy. Not just pleasure, JOY.

As far as tubes, I have several dozen laying around. Sylvania Gold Pins, Amperex, RCA Command, Siemens, you name it. But for my particular set up, (and don't listen to what anybody says unless they have a setup similar to yours) The GE 5751 triple mica, black plate, 5 star is far and away the best. And guess what? If you listen to as much music as I do, you will easily realize, that when you use tubes, every one is unique. That is the curse, but much more, the beauty of tubes.

In my case, I have 4 of the GE's. Not grey plates (they are a bit more fuzzy, not enough resolution for my taste), and each one is subtly different. At its best, the GE triple mica, black plate, 5 star is perfectly clear, with that elusive characteristic called balance. My source is Oppo's unbeatable listening value, the BDP 105. My headphones are Ultrasone Edition 9's which are considered here to be not well balanced. Well, "they" are right. But I'm not as young as I used to be and their so called failings, suit my ears perfectly. They are easy to drive and are a bit forward with a bit of emphasis in the bass. Sounds like Grados at their best, doesn't it? The Ultrasones are a bit smoother than the Grados I"ve known, but still with that forward presentation that Grados give.

Back to the Mad Ear+. The tubes remove any hint of graininess that your headphones may give while letting saxes, voices, and guitars stay at the front of the stage. Many have condemned the Ear+ for being a bit loose in the bass. If you listen to rock, blues, smooth jazz, etc, this is a damning criticism and one the Ear + deserves. But in my experience the GE tubes (must be black plate, triple mica, 5 star) tightens up the bass beautifully while maintaining that smooth forward mid to upper range that grabs your heart and says hang on, your ears and soul are in for a trip nothing else can give.

Tubes are praised for their smoothness, but they can be fast as well. I have Cream's Reunion at Royal Albert Hall blu ray on as I write this. Ginger Baker is in the midst of his drum solo. While Baker isn't Neil Pert or Keith Moon, he's still one of the rock greats. And the Ear + and GE is fast enough to not degrade the concussion of the kick drum or the splash or the cymbals. The drums simply sound real. Jack Bruce's bass is defined and clear to the point you know he is playing fretless. Clapton's guitar wails a plaintive sweetness. 

I have several headphone amps, including 2 legendary, hand  built Beta 22's, the class A balanced amp that could likely drive any of the speakers any of you own. Needless to say it effortlessly grabs your headphone drivers and bends them to its will. Yet when I have the urge for listening to headphones I fire up my Ear+. Why? Simply put, because it is the most real presentation of music, that lets me just disappear into the mind of the writer, composer and performer.

Dr. Peppard, I'd like to thank you for the many years of listening pleasure you've given me. GE, while, you've forgotten your tube production skills, I'd like to thank you. And Ultrasone, thank you for a headphone that matches my ears' particular flaws.

And that's what we search for, not the perfect headphone, perfect source or perfect amp, but the perfect combination that works with our flawed perception of sound to give us as perfect an experience as we are capable of.

And thank you headfi for providing a forum for us all to share our unique listening experiences.

Great post, Pageman99!  I've got some 5-stars that I like quite well in my MAD amp too.  And I have the same issue with aging ears (even worse as I have one ear that is effectively dead above 4k Hz).  Still enjoy my daily dose and I really relate to your joy in this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back