MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Jul 4, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #91 of 1,382
I have been too lazy and too convinced to read all the recent posts. I'll repeat my old one: Raytheon, RCA, and Sylvania TMBP 5751s do a lot for this amp. Other than the Svtek plus these, I have found no better....by far, and that includes GEs grey and black plates.

It's a great amp.

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #92 of 1,382
Oh, I have both this amp and the SP MPX3 SLAM SE. The MAD holds its own with some tube configurations in my SP gear, but the SP amp has many different voices, depending on the tubes i use in it.

Moreover, the MAD more easily drives my K-701s.

I'll keep both. Thanks. They are complements, not substitutes.

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #93 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I switched from an HR-2 to the MAD HD, the biggest improvement was the sound of the guitar. They sounded very upfront and alive but without any harshness that shouldn't be there. Obviously distorted electric guitar should be harsh if the recording was supposed to be like that.

The other change was the overall organic sound. The solid state amp was very quick and had great impact but didn't seem as natural as the MAD. I had a GS-1 amp before than and that was lightning fast but once again failed in overall sound for my tastes.

I'm not too sure how the MAD compares to the Singlepower tube amps. I tried my PS-1 on an MPX3 for about 5 minutes and thought the bass was a tab bit overpowering and the MAD had sweeter sound. Maybe an extended listen would change my mind but why spend a lot more money when I already loved what I had.

My impressions are similar. There is no unwanted harshess, and although the impact was better with an SS amp, the MAD was more natural and balanced. And sweeter as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89

I am glad to hear that the MAD drives the K701 easily. I have heard the K701 through an AT clone SS amp. It was good and I believe it would sound great as well with the MAD. Will report back if I do decide to get one.

Jul 4, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #94 of 1,382
Gee what's this?
very_evil_smiley.gif

MapltreeearSuper2.jpg

MapltreeearSuper.jpg

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #95 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I have both this amp and the SP MPX3 SLAM SE. The MAD holds its own with some tube configurations in my SP gear, but the SP amp has many different voices, depending on the tubes i use in it.

I'll keep both. Thanks. They are complements, not substitutes.

I figured the Singlepower was move versatile but I really like the sound of the 5751 tube and found the perfect Sylvania tube for my PS-1.

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #96 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gee what's this?
very_evil_smiley.gif

MapltreeearSuper2.jpg

MapltreeearSuper.jpg

Nice SACD LOVER!

When did you get it?

Are you serial number 0204179?

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #97 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice SACD LOVER!

When did you get it?

And what are those mods?

Two jacks on a regular HD?

Do tell!

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #99 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice SACD LOVER!

When did you get it?

MapltreeearSuper2.jpg

MapltreeearSuper.jpg

The amp will be shipping this week. The amp in the pic is my friends. I am 0204180. We both bought the Ear+ but I asked mine be specially cutomized. When my friend found out what I was doing he changed his amp order to the identical amp I asked for. Lloyd is building both amps simultaneously.

Lloyd called this amp the Ear+ Super. What is super about this version?
Well .... the amp will run the tubes at a higher voltage and bias for more power. The power supply uses a hybrid tube/ ss bridge rectifier with a 6x4 rectifier tube for smoothing. The amp will feature both high and low impedence headphone jacks The input tube is the 12av7 in our amps.

From my experiences with my Singlepower amps .... I much prefer the sound quality of the 12av7/5965/6414/6829 and especially the 7062 to the 12ax7 series. Plus, the 12av7 tubes are much less expensive and plentiful. My amp will be in the new white color with black sides. Both our amps use DH Labs best rca jacks hence only two sets of rca's. The size of the DH Labs rca's meant we could only fit two pair on the back panel. One is the input and the other is the passive preamp output.
cool.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #100 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MapltreeearSuper2.jpg

MapltreeearSuper.jpg

The amp will be shipping this week. The amp in the pic is my friends. I am 0204180. We both bought the Ear+ but I asked mine be specially cutomized. When my friend found out what I was doing he changed his amp order to the identical amp I asked for. Lloyd is building both amps simultaneously.

Lloyd called this amp the Ear+ Super. What is super about this version?
Well .... the amp will run the tubes at a higher voltage and bias for more power. The power supply uses a hybrid tube/ ss bridge rectifier with a 6x4 rectifier tube for smoothing. The amp will feature both high and low impedence headphone jacks The input tube is the 12av7 in our amps.

From my experiences with my Singlepower amps .... I much prefer the sound quality of the 12av7/5965/6414/6829 and especially the 7062 to the 12ax7 series. Plus, the 12av7 tubes are much less expensive and plentiful. My amp will be in the new white color with black sides. Both our amps use DH Labs best rca jacks hence only two sets of rca's. The size of the DH Labs rca's meant we could only fit two pair on the back panel. One is the input and the other is the passive preamp output.
cool.gif

Very NICE sacd lover!

Does the higher voltage and more power mean that it's modded to drive higher impedance phones (600 ohms)? Thanks.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #101 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by osocan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very NICE sacd lover!

Does the higher voltage and more power mean that it's modded to drive higher impedance phones (600 ohms)? Thanks.

The higher voltage and bias means the amp will have more power at any impedence. But, since the amp is transformer coupled and designed to have a fixed voltage output the higher the impedence rises the less power the amp can put out. Therefore, the amp will continue to give the highest output into lower impedences. I do think the extra power will come in handy for 300 ohm headphones like the senns.

I dont know this for a fact .... but I doubt the ear amps are the best amps for very high impedence headphones like the 600m ohm variety Beyer 880 or 990. The amp is losing power rapidly at 300 ohms.

Jul 5, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #102 of 1,382
Could be some ideas there for the HD200 which probably wont be that far away with the orders Lloyd has.

Jul 5, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #103 of 1,382
Nice Sacdlover. Quite a nice amp. Makes me jealous. If I had Grados I'd probably snag something identical to yours. I fully agree with your assessment of that sexy 12av7 tube.. both the ones that Mikhail sent me are amazing. The Sylvania one as a driver tube may beat out the 2C51 which already sounded damned good
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #104 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could be some ideas there for the HD200 which probably wont be that far away with the orders Lloyd has.

The 200th Anniversary Ear+ will be coming soon too. He asked me for some suggestions. He mentioned using a 6AS7 as an output tube. I am still thinking about that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #105 of 1,382
Was it just the cost factor that drove you to choose the 12AV7 over your (and my) other favourites, like the 7062 and 5965? I note that the 12AV7 has slightly lower gain than these two. Does this amp use a lot of negative feedback, like the Ear? Rolling output tubes had no effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back