MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
May 31, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #62 of 1,382
Bootleg, have you tried to find out if there is an owner of the Mapletree Ear + Purist HD close to you. That way you can save having to purchase one and the two of you can meet and compare both amps. Heck maybe that other owner has an RS-1 as well.

You may start with Dr. Lloyd or with his forum, Audio Circles. Good luck.

May 31, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #63 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bootleg, have you tried to find out if there is an owner of the Mapletree Ear + Purist HD close to you. That way you can save having to purchase one and the two of you can meet and compare both amps. Heck maybe that other owner has an RS-1 as well.

You may start with Dr. Lloyd or with his forum, Audio Circles. Good luck.

I tried to work that angle, but when I briefly mentioned it to Dr. Lloyd, he didn't seem to recall that any had ever gone to Hawaii.

Jun 3, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #64 of 1,382
Here's a quick shot after paint.
Wiring begins tomorrow.
Chassis1.jpg

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #65 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Ham Phones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a quick shot after paint.
Wiring begins tomorrow.

Keep us posted!

I wanna see the play by play!

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #67 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Ham Phones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will so you will.

Pics Please!

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #68 of 1,382
My Mapletree Audio Design Ear Purist HD2 High Definition Headphone Amplifier was delivered today. It left Canada on 5th June 2007 (6th June locally) and its early arrival had caught me off-guard for I had wanted the weekend to shop for a dedicated cdp to partner the HD2. Instead, I had to rip the Roksan Caspian from my speaker rig to feed it, at least temporarily for the next few days.

This is my first full-sized headphone amp and I would like to share my first impressions with some quick & dirty photographs. This is not a review, for I am not good at writing one.

The Package

The HD2 was wrapped in bubble-wrap and double packed in 2 boxes with plenty of Styrofoam. It would be a good idea to have a clean paint brush ready when unpacking the amp, to brush away the foam crump. The package included:

1 x HD2
1 x power cord
1 x owner’s manual
1 x spare fuse
1 x JJ ECC 99 in box
1 x Sovtek 5751
1 x invoice

DSC00615.jpg

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00617.jpg

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00620.jpg

DSC00625.jpg

Besides the amp which was bubble-wrapped and the power cord that was left bare, the rest of the items were neatly packed into Ziploc bags of various matching sizes. On the whole there was plenty of care and thought that went into the packing of the content.

Build / Part Quality

Make no mistake about it; this was a hand-assembled amp. The gaps between the various sign plates and the chassis and their alignment were clear indications. However, the components used looked top quality. Everything was screwed on properly. There was no flimsy part or rattling sound. The power switch and volume control knob operated firmly. In fact, it’s a refreshing experience turning the volume control knob after all these years of servo-controlled knobs.

DSC00633.jpg

DSC00635.jpg

DSC00637.jpg

Here I would like to say something about the colour of the chassis, something that was important to me and I had e-mailed to Lloyd about. I had ordered for the RCA Red with black end panels. On some photos, including my own, the colour looked orangey and on others it looked red. Its actual colour was dark red like maroon, very classy with the black end panels. I wouldn’t have minded the orangey one though.

How Does It Sound?

After rolling in the 2 tubes, I left the HD2 turned on for about 20 minutes before inserting Bryan Adams’ Unplugged into Roksan Caspian. The headphone was the Grado RS-1. The very first track was Summer of ’69. It was like an eternal wait before the first beat of the snare drum and upon hearing that first beat whatever little apprehension that I had was removed. And from the second track Back To You onwards, I was playing air guitar and drums. Next album was William Tell’s You Can Hold Me Down. More air guitar. More air drums. Yes, the bass was a little light but there was no lack of punch here. This amp was not about visceral bass. It was about punch and PRaT; and about how that guitar note hanging on in the air until its own energy can longer sustain the decay. It’s also about refinement rather than that WOW factor. The amp was silent without any humming even at maximum volume. I was enjoying myself so totally until my son had to come in to remind me that I had promised him to bring him and his sister roller-blading.

In summary, I am pleased with the MAD HD2. Admittedly, I have no experience with other amps to compare it with. But I am very pleased.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #70 of 1,382
mrarroyo, thank you. Without the opportunity for audition, your comments are the ones that I relied upon most when deciding on the Mapletree. And I am extremely pleased with the amp and the man himself, Lloyd.

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #74 of 1,382
Oso,

Thanks a billion for the pics...they're great.

Even though you dont fancy yourself as a reviewer, any thoughts you can share would be greatly appreciated! And more pics!!!! How about one at night with the tubes glowing!

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #75 of 1,382
Welcome to the MAD club Osocan !

Love the pictures of your new HD2 ! I'm sure you'll get many hours
of sonic bliss this headphone amp !
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back