MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
May 24, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #16 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question: what is it about the MAD Ear+ Purist HD's sonic signature that makes it synergizes so well with Grados? And perhaps not so well with Sennheisers and other headphones?

My assumption had been that the MAD is an especially smooth amplifier with some treble roll-off that tames the (to my ears) somewhat harsh highs of Grado phones and makes them sing. Is there any validity to this assumption?

No treble roll off to my ears.I got rid of the occassional high end harshness by changing cpd.

Purist amp works well with other phones. I use it with my 701s as does a friend .
I believe originally Dr Peppard developed the amp with Sennheisers.
I have tried it with HD650s but dont want to commit myself on that pairing as I've never liked the 650s with any amp I've tried.

May 24, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #17 of 1,382
Hey Mrarrayo,

Not only do you have good taste in headphone amps in the MAD Ear and Musical Fidelity X-can, but see you have an Arcam CD73 CDP for the source.
GREAT tast e there ! I use the Arcam FMJ CD36 as the source for my Ear + Purist.

May 24, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #19 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No treble roll off to my ears.I got rid of the occassional high end harshness by changing cpd.

Purist amp works well with other phones. I use it with my 701s as does a friend .
I have tried it with HD650s but dont want to commit myself on that pairing as I've never liked the 650s with any amp I've tried.

If you want your HD650's (or other Senns, and all other phones for that matter) to sound truly exceptional - get yourself a Monarchy M24 DAC - it literally "transforms" their sound to exceptional (with the XDAC v3 anyway).

This pairing is just as good as "Akwok" said it was... regarding their pairing with the GLite.

I'm sure it would also pair very well with the MAD Purist HD+.

It's hard to believe a DAC can make that much difference in their sound.

May 24, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #20 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Doc recently confirmed to me that he developed the amp with Senn 600's.

May 24, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #21 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's hard to believe a DAC can make that much difference in their sound.

I agree. I recently bought the Stello DA100 and it is the most significant improvement in sound I have made for some time.

May 25, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #22 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweArt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Mrarrayo,

Not only do you have good taste in headphone amps in the MAD Ear and Musical Fidelity X-can, but see you have an Arcam CD73 CDP for the source.
GREAT tast e there ! I use the Arcam FMJ CD36 as the source for my Ear + Purist.

Thanks.

Imilhan I will try to remember that request but I do not think I will sell it. BTW about a month ago I scored 4 matched GE red labeled 12B4A.
icon10.gif

May 25, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #23 of 1,382
I'd like to thank the good Dr. as well. I only need an amp for one headphone, my PS-1 and figured the perfect amp for the RS-1 would also be the one for the PS-1. I thought about the Singlepower amps but took a chance on the Mapletree. When I tried a couple of Singlepower amps at a meet, I thought the Mapletree was a better combo even at a 1/3 or so of the price.

To make things even better, I just got the equivalent of a JHS-5751 Sylvania tube and it's the most perfect combo for my PS-1. I can't find anything wrong about the sound. Just so enjoyable. I left some more comments about that tube in the Mapletree tube rolling thread.

May 25, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #24 of 1,382
Since several of you have the MAD HD+ with the HD600's and HD650's some of you should be able to tell us how well it sounds with those vs the Grados.

I think we've heard many people praise it with Grados... but, I've not heard any praise it with Senns - despite the fact that is was developed around the HD600's.

So... how does it sound with Senns?

May 25, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #25 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.

Imilhan I will try to remember that request but I do not think I will sell it. BTW about a month ago I scored 4 matched GE red labeled 12B4A.
icon10.gif

Yeah, I don't blame you for wanting to hold onto that puppy!

I so desperately wanted a magic eye on my custom MAD Ear+ Purist HD, but Lloyd told me that it wasn't possible for him to do it with that particular amp design.
frown.gif

As such, I will more than likely buy the first HD100 that I see go up for sale here at Head-Fi (If I am lucky enough to grab it before someone else does).

tongue.gif

I love the sound this amp is pumping through my Grados, and I am using stock tubes - I haven't even looked into tube rolling yet!

May 25, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #26 of 1,382
Quote:

Since several of you have the MAD HD+ with the HD600's and HD650's some of you should be able to tell us how well it sounds with those vs the Grados.

I think we've heard many people praise it with Grados... but, I've not heard any praise it with Senns - despite the fact that is was developed around the HD600's.

I have a Mad Ear+ custom..I use with my HD 650's..I have to force myself to stop listening to music. For me it is that nice. I have used Grados with the amp and it too sounds great. My other amp is a PPAv2 which works great with Senns, but I find myself listening to the MAD..Maybe it's the tubes? For me it just seems to bring out the best in my Senns.

May 25, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #27 of 1,382
Quote:

The Sennheiser HD600 & HD650 synergises extremely well with my MAD Ear + purist ! I actually prefer this combo over using my Grado's with the MAD.

I have never found the Sennies to be dark or veiled with the MAD, the thing that impressed me when I first teamed the Sennies with the MAD was the imaging and "headstage", quite amazing. The detail and some micro dynamics
from complex pieces of orchestral music come through like you were there when the recording was made. That said, fast driving rock tunes of the likes of John Cougar Mellencamp come through with great gusto and verve that makes you move, groove and play air guitar !

I found my Grado's were easier to listen to on the MAD than say compared with a solid state headphone amp like the Stello HP100. In saying that, I prefer the Grado SR80 over the SR325i because it isn't as strident/harsh sounding.

I have always built my Hi Fi and now Head Fi components around not only its ability to perform and produce detail etc..... But more importantly, it shouldn't induce/create listener fatigue. When I say that the Sennheiser and MAD Ear + purist are a lovely match, I don't mean it in the warm cuddly sense. It seduces with detail, accuracy and emotive qualities that just keeps you wanting to stay up and listen to more rather than making you tired.

I don't think anyone could convince me to part with my MAD
600smile.gif

May 25, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #28 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweArt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser HD600 & HD650 synergises extremely well with my MAD Ear + purist ! I actually prefer this combo over using my Grado's with the MAD...

...I have always built my Hi Fi and now Head Fi components around not only its ability to perform and produce detail etc..... But more importantly, it shouldn't induce/create listener fatigue. When I say that the Sennheiser and MAD Ear + purist are a lovely match, I don't mean it in the warm cuddly sense. It seduces with detail, accuracy and emotive qualities that just keeps you wanting to stay up and listen to more rather than making you tired.

I don't think anyone could convince me to part with my MAD
600smile.gif

Excellent, informative response - which tells us exactly what we want/need to know about the MAD Ear+.

I've been vacilating about one for over a year vs the WA3+ or WA6. I just may try one...

May 26, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #29 of 1,382
Quote:

Excellent, informative response - which tells us exactly what we want/need to know about the MAD Ear+.

I've been vacilating about one for over a year vs the WA3+ or WA6. I just may try one...

Happy to offer my thoughts. The MAD Ear + purist was my first headphone amplifier as prior to that I was using a pair of Sennheiser HD565 Ovations through the headphone socket of my NAD 3020i integrated amp.

I think I spent over a year researching the net, forums and valve amp design books before I made my decision on the MAD and quite literally "stumbled" across the MAD website. Up to that point, I was close on buying the World Audio Design HD83 kit, but wasn't too willing because of its limited tube rolling/replacement options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back