MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Jul 5, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #106 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by osocan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firstly, the slightly laid back mids is not an overriding weakness. It is just a very minor flaw. I have also read somewhere in this forum that Freddy Mercury's vocal is really sucked way back into the rear, something that is not really apparent to me in my other systems but is severely exposed in my current set-up. The slightly laid back mids portrays a sense of depth. The in-your-face kind of intimacy is lost but what you gain is a slight soundstage (depth wise).

Secondly, I am not sure that this will happen in your set-up. In other areas where I had a point of reference, I gave my comments readily. But this is one area where I absolutely have no reference point. Part of the problem (if you really can call it a problem) is the recording itself. The other unkowns include the CDP as well as the IC to a certain extent, which could be the source of the problem. No doubt, your set-up would be quite different from mine, as far as the source is concerned. It's still too early to conclude the amp was the "culprit".

Thirdly, I would not trade the overall smoothness and warmth in the presentation for an increased impact and slightly forward mids. I might have been over-critical of a minor flaw that did not really impinge on the overall enjoyment. I apologise if that has caused you anxiety in your anticipation. Sure, I yearn for that little improvement but that would be perfection
icon10.gif
And I dont need perfection to achieve excellence.

Thanks for giving me your details on the mids. I really enjoy the Grados for the upfront mids, but I'm sure the MAD, I'm gonna like the soundstage you described as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #107 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 200th Anniversary Ear+ will be coming soon too. He asked me for some suggestions. He mentioned using a 6AS7 as an output tube. I am still thinking about that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would love to see him use a pair of 6V6 in pure Class A. I am partial to the 5751 or the 7025 as a driver. If it was not because they would put to much power the 7591A would be a great power tube, perhaps for 20 to 25 wpc stereo amp.

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #108 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was it just the cost factor that drove you to choose the 12AV7 over your (and my) other favourites, like the 7062 and 5965? I note that the 12AV7 has slightly lower gain than these two. Does this amp use a lot of negative feedback, like the Ear? Rolling output tubes had no effect.

I should have said optimized for the 12av7 series of tubes. You can still use all the tubes in that series .... 5965/6414/6829/7062. In fact, you can stil use the 5751 if you want. I just wanted the amp optimized for my favorite series. I actually plan on using the Amperex 7062's and TS 12av7's to begin with.

FYI, 7062's dont cost much more than a 12av7 in the US .... and 5965's are usually less expensive than the 12av7. In the US none of these tubes are expensive. All these tubes except the 6414 are under $10 .... the 12av7/5965 are under $5.

Here is a pic of my actual amp .....

mapltreeearsuperwhite.jpg

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #109 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to see him use a pair of 6V6 in pure Class A. I am partial to the 5751 or the 7025 as a driver. If it was not because they would put to much power the 7591A would be a great power tube, perhaps for 20 to 25 wpc stereo amp.

I like the JJ 6V6S tubes I am using. But I think I like the EL84/ 6P14P-EB's as well or better. He uses the 6V6GT already in his push/ pull amps. Maybe we could convince him to give them a try. The 6V6 doesnt use much heater current and the power output, class A, as a strapped triode would be about the max you would want for headphones.
cool.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #110 of 1,382
Quote:

I like the JJ 6V6S tubes I am using. But I think I like the EL84/ 6P14P-EB's as well or better. He uses the 6V6GT already in his push/ pull amps. Maybe we could convince him to give them a try. The 6V6 doesnt use much heater current and the power output, class A, as a strapped triode would be about the max you would want for headphones.
cool.gif

I will be sending the Good Dr. an email to request what it would take to build a Class A headphone amp using the 6V6.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #111 of 1,382
Tonight I learnt a really obvious lesson- isolation is a good thing. I'd recently noticed that there was a very quiet crackling noise in the right channel of my EAR+ HD. Less than amused, but I swapped out my GE 5 Star tmbp for the stock Sovtek and the noise went away. Went back to the GE and it returned. Thought oh bugger, now I need a new tube, but noticed when I held my hand up to it the noise went away. A little experimenting and it turns out my wireless antenna was somehow being picked up, only on the GE. Moved the antenna away, problem solved. I feel stupid now...
frown.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #112 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Rymer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tonight I learnt a really obvious lesson- isolation is a good thing. I'd recently noticed that there was a very quiet crackling noise in the right channel of my EAR+ HD. Less than amused, but I swapped out my GE 5 Star tmbp for the stock Sovtek and the noise went away. Went back to the GE and it returned. Thought oh bugger, now I need a new tube, but noticed when I held my hand up to it the noise went away. A little experimenting and it turns out my wireless antenna was somehow being picked up, only on the GE. Moved the antenna away, problem solved. I feel stupid now...
frown.gif

You should feel very smart! problem solved and it cost you 0000000000000...

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #115 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by truant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all!
I've bought a pair of RS-1 and reserved the Ear + Purist HD2.
As I can read here I think I'll be very pleased with this combo!! (and I also have the Senns HD650).
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats. I have the RS1s that I just got last week and I have the Ear + Purist HD2 on reserve as well. Interesting I have a HD650 with SD v2 cables. I'm sure we will both be enjoying life once we get the Purist in.
rs1smile.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #118 of 1,382
Quote:

The 200th Anniversary Ear+ will be coming soon too. He asked me for some suggestions. He mentioned using a 6AS7 as an output tube. I am still thinking about that.
smily_headphones1.gif

basshead.gif

i just ordered my HD2, hey seriously, is the 200+ really coming in no time? Will the difference be big compare to the standard Ear+s?
considering to hold off a bit and wait...

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #119 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by pkjames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
basshead.gif

i just ordered my HD2, hey seriously, is the 200+ really coming in no time? Will the difference be big compare to the standard Ear+s?
considering to hold off a bit and wait...

Well, depends on how many orders Lloyd has in the near future. I'm guessing you're #191, and up to #193 are on the books. That leaves 6 before #200 (7 if you hold off), so you might be waiting a few extra months.

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #120 of 1,382
Quote:

The amp will be shipping this week. The amp in the pic is my friends. I am 0204180. We both bought the Ear+ but I asked mine be specially cutomized. When my friend found out what I was doing he changed his amp order to the identical amp I asked for. Lloyd is building both amps simultaneously.

Lloyd called this amp the Ear+ Super. What is super about this version?
Well .... the amp will run the tubes at a higher voltage and bias for more power. The power supply uses a hybrid tube/ ss bridge rectifier with a 6x4 rectifier tube for smoothing. The amp will feature both high and low impedence headphone jacks The input tube is the 12av7 in our amps.

From my experiences with my Singlepower amps .... I much prefer the sound quality of the 12av7/5965/6414/6829 and especially the 7062 to the 12ax7 series. Plus, the 12av7 tubes are much less expensive and plentiful. My amp will be in the new white color with black sides. Both our amps use DH Labs best rca jacks hence only two sets of rca's. The size of the DH Labs rca's meant we could only fit two pair on the back panel. One is the input and the other is the passive preamp output.
cool.gif

Wondering: did you look into replacing the standard OTs with the Sowter's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back