"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #6,076 of 6,388
Quote:
Not counting comfort:

Faves for music:

D7000 > LCD2 > SR-407 > HE-400 = Mad Dog 3.2 = K702 Annie

Overall

D7000 > LCD 2 > SR-407 > K702 Annie > HE-400 > (more or less) HE-4 = HD650 = Mad Dog 3.2 = ESP950 = DT990 (certain things I like better on the last few which are interchangeable)

If rating about how I feel they sound technically and not subjectively:

SR-407 > LCD2 > ESP950 > D7000 > K702 Anniversary > HE-4 > HE-400 > Mad Dog 3.2 > HD650

I've read some of your stuff MLE, and while I think your reviews are excellent and definitely helpful, I still to this day don't know what "type" of sound signature you prefer... haha. Your rankings jumble all over the board. I know you have a love for the D7K so I'm expecting headphones that have similar sounding sound signatures like... Ultrasones (Sig DJ, Sig, Pro, Ed. 8, Pro 2900), Beyerdynamic (DT 770, 990) etc. I'm guessing you are ranking the headphones that you have heard extensively, and not just headphones that you heard at a meet or haven't heard yet. The HE-400 seems to belong in the D7K general sound signature, but the others such as the LCD-2, SR-407, HD650, even the Mad Dogs are totally different IMO. This post isn't to offend at all so don't take it that way, I'm just trying to understand why you haven't tried more headphones similar to your one true love... the D7K. 

Oh and sorry for being semi-off topic here. 

May 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #6,077 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm sure we all have our favorites and would rank them very differently.  The way we "feel" they sound technically is still subjective 
biggrin.gif

My top 5 slots are no question:

HE-6
HD800
LCD-3
T1
Th900

From here on is a toss up.

HE-5LE = HD-500 = HE-4
ATH-AD2000 = Annies = HD600 = HD650
D7000 = W3000 = Mad Dogs (Dog Pads)
LCD-2.2 = SRH1840 = Q701

I would second these top 5. I wouldn't change any of them, unless STAX were included.

May 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #6,079 of 6,388
I've read some of your stuff MLE, and while I think your reviews are excellent and definitely helpful, I still to this day don't know what "type" of sound signature you prefer... haha. Your rankings jumble all over the board. I know you have a love for the D7K so I'm expecting headphones that have similar sounding sound signatures like... Ultrasones (Sig DJ, Sig, Pro, Ed. 8, Pro 2900), Beyerdynamic (DT 770, 990) etc. I'm guessing you are ranking the headphones that you have heard extensively, and not just headphones that you heard at a meet or haven't heard yet. The HE-400 seems to belong in the D7K general sound signature, but the others such as the LCD-2, SR-407, HD650, even the Mad Dogs are totally different IMO. This post isn't to offend at all so don't take it that way, I'm just trying to understand why you haven't tried more headphones similar to your one true love... the D7K. 

Oh and sorry for being semi-off topic here. 

I borrowed the Pro 2900 for a while. I like them a little, but they're nowhere near my faves. I do not like the Ultrasone treble and S-logic. I still preferred the Pro 900, and I didn't love those either.

If I had a specific tonal balance that I'd consider my fave fopr music, it's probably be emphasized bass and slightly emphasized treble. That's not all there is though, as the mids and treble can switch spots and I'd like that too. In the end, one thing is a must: bass has to be either very full, or just outright emphasized. That's why the D7000, LCD2, MD, and HE-400 are on my best list. Their bass are just so damn good.

Again, it's not the final say on whether I love a headphone or not. The SR-407 has a very dry, and aggressive sound, but I loved it. The treble was the best I've ever heard, as it was bright, but not fatiguing. I don't know how Stax did it, really. I've had treble fatigue from smoother sounding cans.

In the end, I just like a wide variety of headphones as long as they aren't boring and have special characteristics that make them stand out..

May 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #6,080 of 6,388
Quote:
I borrowed the Pro 2900 for a while. I like them a little, but they're nowhere near my faves. I do not like the Ultrasone treble and S-logic. I still preferred the Pro 900, and I didn't love those either.

If I had a specific tonal balance that I'd consider my fave fopr music, it's probably be emphasized bass and slightly emphasized treble. That's not all there is though, as the mids and treble can switch spots and I'd like that too. In the end, one thing is a must: bass has to be either very full, or just outright emphasized. That's why the D7000, LCD2, MD, and HE-400 are on my best list. Their bass are just so damn good.

Again, it's not the final say on whether I love a headphone or not. The SR-407 has a very dry, and aggressive sound, but I loved it. The treble was the best I've ever heard, as it was bright, but not fatiguing. I don't know how Stax did it, really. I've had treble fatigue from smoother sounding cans.

In the end, I just like a wide variety of headphones as long as they aren't boring and have special characteristics that make them stand out..

Great, thanks for the explanation. I can definitely get behind that, I also love a wide variety of sound signatures. Mostly because I listen to all kinds of music, so certain headphones are better with certain genres. For example, I'm really enjoying the MD's right now listening to Purity Ring. 

May 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #6,081 of 6,388
This is worth hearing for the electronica/bass fans, and yes, there's some nice acoustic elements rolled in.

Good god, yes. I LOVE music like this. :)

The MD is showing some very good stereo separation here.

<3

May 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #6,082 of 6,388
I wanted to share this as the most common customer support question I get is how to optimize the bass through fit.  The phones are voiced for audiophile purposes, which means very deep and linear bass but it's balanced with the rest of the music, instead of trying to be the dominant sound, but fit is key and  a bad fit will noticeably reduce bass.

I include a tip sheet in the box to help, but most people (me included) probably don't read documentation so I thought I'd share these tips...

Ironically, the most experienced headphone users seem to have more fit issues.  From conversations, it seems they expect phones to clamp harder, so they shorten the risers just a little too much to increase the feeling of "clamp."  This can lift the ear pad under the ear, and break the seal, greatly reducing deep bass.  The risers should be adjusted so it feels like the headphone weight is distributed evenly on the strap and the pads (this is also best for long-listening comfort) and close your eyes to see if you can "feel" the pads making 360 degree contact.  If there is a gap below the ear and behind the jaw, rotate the ear pads about 10 degrees back so they follow the angle of the back of the ear.  The pads can freely rotate so this adjustment can be easily tuned to your ear.

Second, for wearers of glasses, usually the frames are snug to the face where they leave the top of the ear and there is no problem.  However, very thick frames or frames that immediately curve out from the head as they leave the ear can break the seal.  If this happens try lifting the arms so they are seated in the top of the pad about 1/4-1/2" above the ear so the glasses are still pretty much in the right position, but they will not affect the seal.

And sometimes it's just a question of bending the head-band to increase or decrease clamp, as shown here...

It may sound like a lot to do, but in reality most fit issues can be addressed with these tips in just a few minutes.  Anyone with a fit question, please feel free to PM me.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #6,083 of 6,388
Quote:
Good god, yes. I LOVE music like this.
smily_headphones1.gif

The MD is showing some very good stereo separation here.

<3

Check out the very good free First Quarter sampler on www.lostinsound.org

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #6,085 of 6,388
The lcd2 still seem to be up on the list, I need to try those. I actually want to try the hd800 more, but I'm afraid of the required amp synergy and cost of the amp needed. I tried the hd700 and was please with them, but too brief to really say.

I wanted to see where the MD stand with MLE line up, but still see it around the he400 is which is okay for me as it mean I can move on.

May 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #6,086 of 6,388
Quote:
Try to lessen headband clamp by unbending sections next to the cups. There was a video somewhere on how to bend it, unbending is just in opposite direction. From my experience it removes that suffocation feeling by adding some air and increasing soundstage.

Yep, that's the video I was talking about, Dan you should have them all on your site. :)
Anyhow, loosening clamp adds air if that's what you are missing.

Quote:
I wanted to share this as the most common customer support question I get is how to optimize the bass through fit.  The phones are voiced for audiophile purposes, which means very deep and linear bass but it's balanced with the rest of the music, instead of trying to be the dominant sound, but fit is key and  a bad fit will noticeably reduce bass.

I include a tip sheet in the box to help, but most people (me included) probably don't read documentation so I thought I'd share these tips...

Ironically, the most experienced headphone users seem to have more fit issues.  From conversations, it seems they expect phones to clamp harder, so they shorten the risers just a little too much to increase the feeling of "clamp."  This can lift the ear pad under the ear, and break the seal, greatly reducing deep bass.  The risers should be adjusted so it feels like the headphone weight is distributed evenly on the strap and the pads (this is also best for long-listening comfort) and close your eyes to see if you can "feel" the pads making 360 degree contact.  If there is a gap below the ear and behind the jaw, rotate the ear pads about 10 degrees back so they follow the angle of the back of the ear.  The pads can freely rotate so this adjustment can be easily tuned to your ear.

Second, for wearers of glasses, usually the frames are snug to the face where they leave the top of the ear and there is no problem.  However, very thick frames or frames that immediately curve out from the head as they leave the ear can break the seal.  If this happens try lifting the arms so they are seated in the top of the pad about 1/4-1/2" above the ear so the glasses are still pretty much in the right position, but they will not affect the seal.

And sometimes it's just a question of bending the head-band to increase or decrease clamp, as shown here...

It may sound like a lot to do, but in reality most fit issues can be addressed with these tips in just a few minutes.  Anyone with a fit question, please feel free to PM me.  

May 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #6,087 of 6,388
Quote:
The lcd2 still seem to be up on the list, I need to try those. I actually want to try the hd800 more, but I'm afraid of the required amp synergy and cost of the amp needed. I tried the hd700 and was please with them, but too brief to really say.

I wanted to see where the MD stand with MLE line up, but still see it around the he400 is which is okay for me as it mean I can move on.

What was the setup you heard the HD700 on?

As much as I've talked about how musically satisfied I am with the MD, I may end up getting yet another TOTL rig to satisfy myself for more critical listening sessions and for mastering stuff of my own.

May 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #6,088 of 6,388
With Asgard 2 and bifrost. Not sure if that is ideal still sounded good.i wasn't expecting to come across it.

May 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #6,090 of 6,388
Hi all, this my first post ,Ive been lurking here for a long time and sounds like the new mad dogs are just what I'm looking for. can anyone recommend an amp that will make the mad dogs shine.

I'm looking to spend $300 or less a amp. I will be using it on a desktop PC with X-Fi Titanium HD sound card. I'm leaning towards the new schiit asgard 2. sounds like it has plenty of power,and I
like the idea of the pre amp outputs for my desktop speakers.

All advice welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back