"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 30, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #5,551 of 6,388
Gonna be hard to part with them for the tuneup time, but worth it I'm sure.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #5,552 of 6,388
Quote:

The real change is in the weight of the sub bass. The MD is still not a bass hp. BUT...there is more weight and authority in the lower frequencies. It retains the textured quality that makes it realistic and instrument specific. And it also is still linear sounding, wonderfully accurate with bass light material and then punching hard with pop, new jazz and trip hop. 

I'm holding back a little bit here. The Alpha pads were a big step forward but the current build puts the bass where I hoped that it always would be...audiophile THUMP!! 
size]

So the bass is better, that is good. Are the highs a little more forward or is it still a darker can 

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #5,554 of 6,388
Quote:
Well, this time the mail looks like it went to 2/3 of the recipients.  Sigh.  I'll not pepper people with more copies.  If anyone needs it from me for any reason please just PM me. 

I have to export my mail list to a real mail package, the store's built-in software is just not up to the task.

I didn't receive the newsletter, could you please send it to me?
Also, how long would it take and how much would it cost for a tune up to the latest revision?

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #5,555 of 6,388
Quote:
Hum... I didn't get the newsletter :/. I thought I already subscribed but it seems I didn't.

I could use some more upper mid and treble energy for rock (dynamics, dynamics...) and the update from 3.0 to 3.2 might be worth considering!
Shipping from France to the US is too expensive though :frowning2:

@Dan: if you want a EU reseller, you could contact Audiophonics. The website is nowhere near as nice as yours but they are official reseller for "not-so-visible" companies like Lite audio, Audio-GD or Hifiman. They ship in most European countries I think and have an English website.

I'm in discussion with someone in the EU who I've already trained to do a 3.0->3.2 update and who has a headphone-oriented business.  If he decides to go ahead with it we'll have a convenient solution for the EU, but otherwise I'll be happy to follow up on your suggestion.  

I wouldn't recommend anyone from the EU upgrade from 3.0->3.2 at this time, as a quicker and less costly solution may not take me too long to setup.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 30, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #5,557 of 6,388
So someone recommended that I try the Mad Dogs as a good ~$300 bassy set of headphones. Just curious, how does do the Mad Dogs compare with other bassy headphones around the same price point? Also since they are semi-open, how is the leakage? I plan to use these as portable headphones.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #5,558 of 6,388
Quote:
I didn't receive the newsletter, could you please send it to me?
Also, how long would it take and how much would it cost for a tune up to the latest revision?

Turnaround time will probably be quick, 2-3 work days.  If a lot of orders come in I will do a wait list and send notifications.  I don't want people sending phones in and have them sit while we get to them.

Here's the newsletter in PDF for those who didn't get it...  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #5,559 of 6,388
Quote:
So someone recommended that I try the Mad Dogs as a good ~$300 bassy set of headphones. Just curious, how does do the Mad Dogs compare with other bassy headphones around the same price point? Also since they are semi-open, how is the leakage? I plan to use these as portable headphones.

They aren't "semi-open." They are closed and very good isolated. Secondly, they are not bass-head hp's...no.  This is audiophile bass. They are not like a Q40, d2k, dt990 even for bass. They are more similar to lcd2 and he400 on bass for the current build.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #5,560 of 6,388
Alright I see. Someone told me it was semi-open
blink.gif
. Weird.

I mean I don't plan on having super boomy bass, just something a little more powerful than my ATH-M50 I have right now.
And of course I couldn't even consider the D2Ks anymore since they are now out of my price point for good. Thanks for the information anyways.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #5,561 of 6,388
I appreciate the greater transparency and continuous efforts and improvements on your services and product, Dan! I'll be sending mine in for sure. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #5,562 of 6,388
Quote:

I'm in discussion with someone in the EU who I've already trained to do a 3.0->3.2 update and who has a headphone-oriented business.  If he decides to go ahead with it we'll have a convenient solution for the EU, but otherwise I'll be happy to follow up on your suggestion.  

I wouldn't recommend anyone from the EU upgrade from 3.0->3.2 at this time, as a quicker and less costly solution may not take me too long to setup.

This is great. I took this to the london meet and people all across the board were impressed (using graham slee solo ultra linear diamond edition amplifier - or as I like to call it GSSULDE). My version is the 3.0 as I bought them before the 17th march and of course improvements to the headphone I would always like to hear.

Yea, once an EU dealer is in place (preferably in the UK obviously....) then I will go for an upgrade definitely - otherwise it'll cost over £100 easily to ship it over and receive it again (import taxes from the US alone to UK are around £60). 

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #5,563 of 6,388
Quote:

This is great. I took this to the london meet and people all across the board were impressed (using graham slee solo ultra linear diamond edition amplifier - or as I like to call it GSSULDE). My version is the 3.0 as I bought them before the 17th march and of course improvements to the headphone I would always like to hear.

Yea, once an EU dealer is in place (preferably in the UK obviously....) then I will go for an upgrade definitely - otherwise it'll cost over £100 easily to ship it over and receive it again (import taxes from the US alone to UK are around £60). 

Well, there shouldn't be duplicate import taxes.  As you paid import taxes for the original purchase, the most I would put on a customs declaration is the value of the upgrade.  If the import tax people argue, just show the upgrade confirmation and shipping emails.  

But yes, an "intra-EU" solution will be best...  Stay tuned.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #5,564 of 6,388
Perhaps it's a bit early to ask, but it would be cool to see the different FRs between the revisions, if that were possible. I loved seeing the MD vs LCD-2 graph

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #5,565 of 6,388
Quote:
MrSpeakers in the News
We received several positive mentions after the New York Audio Show and the New York Head-Fi meet, where our latest version was on display. ...

Hi Dan,

What is the version you brought with you and were selling at the NYC Audio Show a few weeks back? 

Thanx,
-steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back