"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #5,491 of 6,388
Quote:

People are often embarrassed at the outcome of blindtesting.  Not saying you are or will be, just don't be surprised.  

This. After a few years of headphone cables, high end interconnects, tube rolling, and even swapping out headphones someone sat me down for a blind test. I couldn't tell the difference with a lot of things. Even the things I could easily spot out and tell the difference, I was surprised how little difference was actually present. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #5,492 of 6,388
Quote:
Yup and subscribed 
wink_face.gif

Excellent resource really. I tend to have a re read everytime some must have gizmo pops up and tempts me!

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #5,493 of 6,388
Quote:
wouldn't you just notice the difference of the weight and padding before even listening to the sound?

This.
My head would start hurting and the LCD2s would sound just a tad better. I don't think I'd go as far as to say that the LCD2 is not distinguishable from the MD, you can definitely tell the LCD2 is open back and the MD is closed back. But as far as being more resolving or anything like that I really can't say I hear it.

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #5,494 of 6,388
I a/b'd the LCD2 v2 and the mad dogs, same rig, same songs, meet conditions caveat. The LCD2 was more resolving, less grainy, more bass impact. The differences were subtle, and not worth $700 or $800 to me. To others, I'm sure the differences are worth the added cost. Mid-price (say 300 to 600 at most) is where the value proposition is for me. Well, except for the HE6 driven by a little tripath type amp. Very cool little rig. The LCD3 was lovely, and the Stax 009 was stunning, but both are probably out of my reach for now. Last note - comfort is a big factor for me as well. If I can't listen comfortably for an hour or two, it is not a good headphone for me, no matter how good it sounds. Oh, one more last note - I enjoy these spirited but mostly civil conversations. I am always fascinated by our different perspectives and tastes.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #5,495 of 6,388
Feel like I should chime in about the whole MD's vs LCD2 debate 
tongue_smile.gif
 I got a chance to try both at the Babylon meet last week and I preferred the MD's on the whole. The LCD2's had a really small soundstage on every setup I tried them on (wa7, gs-x mkii, liquid gold, etc) The sound signature was to my liking, but for an open headphone the soundstage and separation really disappointed me. Maybe the conditions weren't optimal since the room wasn't completely silent though it was fairly quiet. On the other hand, the MD's sounded great, similar frequency response with maybe more upper-midrange and great isolation. Comfort wise, I preferred the MD's as well. Sorely disappointed in the LCD2

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #5,497 of 6,388
I guess for me the LCD 2's are the first headphone I have had that I haven't worried about that fact that there is so much money invested in them as I enjoy them so much. So the expense is worth it to me. The MD's are excellent for their price but do sound a bit congested at times and don't have the instrument seperation the LCD's have.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #5,500 of 6,388
Quote:

Yeah, probably bold, and I certainly have not heard an exhaustive list, but I have heard a few - 

Owned:

Headhones:
Mad Dogs $300
Beyerdynamic DT 770 600 ohm $250 to $300?
Beyerdynamic DT 1350 $300
HD25-1 II $250?
Denon AH-D7000  $999
Denon AH-D5000 $500?
Ultrasone HFI 780 $250 - $300?
Audio Technica ESW10jpn $550 - $650
Ultrasone Proline 750 $275-ish

IEM's
1964 ears Quads - $550
Fischer DBA-02 $299
Etymotic ER4P/S $200 - $250
Westone 3 $300+
UE Triple.fi10 $200, or $99 on sale around black Friday
Westone UM3X $300
Shure SE530 $350

Heard the JVC DX1000 at a meet, the AT ES10 at a meet, The Denon D2000 at a meet, a few others that I forget, and of course anything that you can try at Best Buy - not very good in most cases, but on the other hand, pretty pricy for what you get...

Of the list above, the D7000's are very, very good.  Better than the MD's at many things, but the bass is boosted a bit, and the treble is a bit sparkly, and they are definitely "V" shaped and a bit colored.  They are also more refined, less grainy, very comfortable and beautiful.  All in all, a fair headphone to compare to the MD's, at 3 times the price (ok, 2x+ the price when I bought them at a good deal).

The ESW10jpn is as good as everyone who has heard them says they are, and more beautiful than pictures do justice.  They are small, sound stage is small, and the build quality does not justify the price they commanded.  I like the Mad Dogs better, but the AT's do give them a run for their money in the midrange.

The rest are all easily bested by the Mad Dogs, at least in my opinion.

Although I would be the first to agree that the Mad Dogs are very good headphones, especially for the price, but there are a few other closed headphones sub $1000 that I prefer over them. The D7000, although not as balanced is definitely more refined, and has a larger soundstage then the Mad Dogs. I would also say that arguably the best closed headphone sub $1000 is the TH-600. I have only heard it once for about an hour, but it is quite similar to the TH-900 and thus being very hard to beat. Other headphones that come to mind that I find to be better than the Mad Dogs include the JVC DX1000, Ultrasone Signature DJ, and Ultrasone Signature Pro. All of these headphones I consider better than the Mad Dogs overall. Obviously this is all in my opinion, and YMMV. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mad Dogs, and what they bring to the table. Especially for the price, they are hard to beat and I can't think of a better closed headphone for $300, maybe not even $600, but they do fall short to those mentioned above. 

Basically, for the asking price, even double the asking price the Mad Dogs are sensational maybe the best in the category. But taking on some of the heavier hitters out there in the sub $1000 range is asking a lot and ultimately I feel they do fall short.

Edit: removed the comparsion of the ATH3000ANV since the resell values have skyrocketed making them more than a thousand now. 

Sorry, but after owning the Mad Dog and now the Denon D600 as well as a MarkL modded D2000, both those blow the MD away. All depends on the sound/signature you're after and we all have different preferences and hear things different.

I'm in the minority it seems but I'm ok with that.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #5,501 of 6,388
Quote:
Sorry, but after owning the Mad Dog and now the Denon D600 as well as a MarkL modded D2000, both those blow the MD away. All depends on the sound/signature you're after and we all have different preferences and hear things different.

I'm in the same boat in that I prefer the D5000's to the MD's. I just wish the D5000's isolated as well...

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #5,502 of 6,388
with the D600, you would probable be in the minority. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #5,503 of 6,388
Quote:

Nothing wrong with wanting more thump.  That was your biggest issue with the MD, right?

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #5,504 of 6,388
Apr 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #5,505 of 6,388

Quote:

Looking through your profile it would appear that you're a bass-head.  There's nothing wrong with that, but I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment of the Mad Dog.

...I also have to note that with your genres of choice, you seem very different from the typical basshead.  While I can't listen to those genres with boosted bass, I love that you can.  Take that bassheads who only listen to electronic, metal, or rap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back