"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #4,801 of 6,388
Hey Dan,

Just to be clear. If I purchase the Alpha Dogs + Darth stickers, you'll apply them for me before they ship without me having to request for you to do that?

Thanks.

Edit: Also you still have a good supply of black v-moda cables? (just want to match the all black look if possible)

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #4,802 of 6,388
If sub bass rumble is important, don't get the MD. That simple. Denon bass and MD bass are completely different.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #4,803 of 6,388
Quote:
Pretty much from memory on the D5000's, if it's not in the music, you might still get a pretty good rumble - the bass is a bit boosted.  With the MD's, if it isn't meant to be prominent in the music, it isn't with the MD's.  If it is meant to be prominent - it jumps ups and surprises you.  MD has good sub-bass when called for.  It is not a basshead can to me.

I think this is pretty spot on. With the Mad dogs the bass doesn't stick out above the other spectrum. However, if your music calls for bass it's clear, tight and controlled. It really brings off a nice texture to bass and allows for clear separation in different bass tones. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #4,804 of 6,388
I'm curious if anybody has used the Mad Dogs with an Audinst MX-1 dac/amp; I would love to hear opinions on this combination, since I can't really afford something better right now.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #4,805 of 6,388
If sub bass rumble is important, don't get the MD. That simple. Denon bass and MD bass are completely different.

It's not that simple though.

For me, it's like adding a subwoofer with the D5000 when compared to the MD (Alphas). That said, I was so impressed with the Mad Dogs that I had damping mods and angled pads fitted to my Denons to achieve unparalleled bass performance, to my ears.

The MD is very neutral. Even though I prefer the D5000 to the D7000, and especially over AKG 701/702 models, I still like the Mad Dogs quite a bit, and they do a much better job with some types of music that I enjoy over the D5000. So, even if you love the D5000 sound, that doesn't mean there can be no love for the Mad Dogs, too.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #4,806 of 6,388
I really like the Mad Dogs for music, but bass is the last thing to highlight as a strength. It has a good, accurate if a bit understated amount of bass. It's not the star of the show. It's there, but it's not an emotional type bass.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #4,808 of 6,388
Yes. It's a flat, well balanced bass. Both the 880 and 650 have more bass presence in the mid bass. That's why I say bass is the last thing to look into with the MD. The strength is the mids.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #4,809 of 6,388
IMO, the denon don't really share a lot in common with the MD.  Go into the MD with a clean slate and don't expect it to have bass, treble, and mids like it (different).  The bass of the MD don't have the impact, rumble, or aggression like the Denon's.  It's like a full, flat, and show up when needed to without making a scene.  The Denon bass like to make a presence and scene.

I do find the MD does well in a lot of things that the Denon (D2000) doesn't like the Mids especially vocals, upfront and emotional.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #4,811 of 6,388
IMO, the denon don't really share a lot in common with the MD.  Go into the MD with a clean slate and don't expect it to have bass, treble, and mids like it (different).  The bass of the MD don't have the impact, rumble, or aggression like the Denon's.  It's like a full, flat, and show up when needed to without making a scene.  The Denon bass like to make a presence and scene.

I do find the MD does well in a lot of things that the Denon (D2000) doesn't like the Mids especially vocals, upfront and emotional.

Fair enough. I'm a bit confused though cos Malveaux told me that the MD's and Denon's are too alike to warrant having both...

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #4,812 of 6,388
Quote:
Fair enough. I'm a bit confused though cos Malveaux told me that the MD's and Denon's are too alike to warrant having both...

I don't know that is my impression when I had both the MD and the Denon 2000 and that could be a part of it. (not D5k or D7k which I never heard)  The one thing I found them have in common is the mids are both warm.  Maybe someone can chime in.  My impression might be different from others.  To me the D2000 treble is brighter, bass hit's harder, mid's slightly recessed, soundstage presentation is different, D2000 better with pop, hip hop, bass heavy music vs MD jazz, vocals, instruments.  Also the MD's are more focus on being neutral while the D2000 try to create energy with there bass and treble.  I find the HE400 (you had it before) is more similar to the MD than the D2k.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #4,813 of 6,388
I actually bought the MDs to complement my D2000s, and now that I have them I still wouldn't agree with Mal about their similarity.  I think soundeffect's statement of "the D2000 treble is brighter, bass hit's harder, mid's slightly recessed, soundstage presentation is different, D2000 better with pop, hip hop, bass heavy music vs MD jazz, vocals, instruments" is pretty accurate.  I'm a budding audiophile who would probably make some of you sigh at my inability to detect sound signature differences very well, yet I was immediately able to distinguish a difference between them.

Of course, I'm talking about the D2K and the D5K could be different, but from what I've read they shouldn't have a completely different signature.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #4,814 of 6,388
That's pretty much my exact sentiment when comparing the MD to the D7000. They are nothing alike...at all.

The MD is a polite, accurate, vocally engaging headphone. One that doesn't bring much if any attention to the bass, and focuses elsewhere. The Denons are a lot more lively, and full of energy, ever present, atmospheric sub bass, and big sound. Not accurate but engaging in a way that only the D7000 engages. They're not comparable and cater to different things.

The Denons romanticize the sound, the MD lets the music speak for itself for the most part. Pros and cons to both.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #4,815 of 6,388
Quote:
The "Schiit Stack" (
biggrin.gif
) is considered to be neutral, if not very slightly bright.

Quote:
The Asgard is literally and figuratively a little warm ; )

personally, I don't consider the amp to be bright.

Quote:
The Magni (99$) is very neutral from what remember. Actually some may consider it a tad bright. I haven't heard the new Asgard 2, but early impressions say it may have a slight warm tilt to it. Although I have never found Schiit's SS amps to be anything but neutral.

Thanks for the responses. I have been listening to the headphones for quite some time and I really like a lot of what it offers. However, it would be nice to have some oomph in the low-end and not sound so "thin". Should I look at trying a different amp? If so, would the Asgard 2 be enough of a change compared to the Magni?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back