"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #4,621 of 6,388
Quote:
hey ive been off the forums for a good 3 weeks, so Im lost with this whole Vader/Darth Dog phones. Is this a new Dog headphone, a mod, or what? And if so, what is it exactly?

It is just the "name" given to a more stealthy, blacked out Mrspeakers Mad Dog headphones. The new plain black stickers are stuck up instead of the Mad Dog stickers is all. Looks great I might add.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #4,622 of 6,388
Quote:
^^ That's a tough question to answer. For me, the short answer is yes. Mostly because I these hp's sound more expensive than they cost. 

I would have to agree. The Mad Dog's "punch way above their weight" and are a great value.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #4,623 of 6,388
Quote:
It's a limitation of the USPS online interface to our systems, there's no option for First Class mail to overseas.  I'll look to see what options exist.  

I see, thank's for answering my question. You could perhaps do a test to see how the stickers would hold up in regular envelopes, maybe even padded for extra space so you put a cardboard insert in to prevent flexing? I imagine something like that would end up cheaper making it much more appealing to people outside the US 
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #4,624 of 6,388
An evnelope is fine, it's not having integration into the software that makes it a big pain.  So research time...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 30, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #4,625 of 6,388
BTW, it was hard finding a vinyl to match the headphone, but I did like the look.  What would you think of black text, raised liked the current white text, on it?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 30, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #4,626 of 6,388
Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask a question to any of the taller people out there, or people with big heads. I want to get this headphone but would like to know what the fit is for people with large ears/heads. I have a problem with my ear lobes and top parts of my ears hurting after a very short listening session with most headphones like the ATH-M50. The only headphone that I've ever found comfortable is the Sony MDR-XB700 but the sound isn't that good on it.

I'm 6'4" if that helps at all.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #4,627 of 6,388
Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask a question to any of the taller people out there, or people with big heads. I want to get this headphone but would like to know what the fit is for people with large ears/heads. I have a problem with my ear lobes and top parts of my ears hurting after a very short listening session with most headphones like the ATH-M50. The only headphone that I've ever found comfortable is the Sony MDR-XB700 but the sound isn't that good on it.

I'm 6'4" if that helps at all.

I have long ears as well/big head and I know what you mean with the M50s.

Using the new Alpha Pads, I have no issues with pain on the ear. There is a good deal of space and depth.

They had just a little too much clamp for my huge/sensitive dome, but a quick and very easy headband stretch fixed that right up.

Side note, you head size is not directly proportional to your height.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #4,628 of 6,388
Quote:
I have long ears as well/big head and I know what you mean with the M50s.

Using the new Alpha Pads, I have no issues with pain on the ear. There is a good deal of space and depth.

They had just a little too much clamp for my huge/sensitive dome, but a quick and very easy headband stretch fixed that right up.

Side note, you head size is not directly proportional to your height.

Well if it helps, last time I checked the circumference of my skull was between 62-66 cm. Otherwise, thanks for the input. It's just difficult finding a headphone that's comfortable + sounds good without me looking like some alien.

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #4,630 of 6,388
Quote:
BTW, it was hard finding a vinyl to match the headphone, but I did like the look.  What would you think of black text, raised liked the current white text, on it?

Give me 2 weeks. Everytime I think these headphones are 2 weeks away it's another 2 weeks but it's looking real serious here lately. If I'm not on here in 2 weeks do what you want. The looks the name I'm 100% sure is going to be solved. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #4,631 of 6,388
Quote:
Somebody compare the Mad Dogs with the Soundmagic hp100! lots of "hype" surrounding those lately.

I got the HP100 for one week -> I returned them with no hesitation, even though the voicing is more to my liking what I'm used to than the MDs (~K-601 or DT-880 with more bass impact).

The SoundMAGIC have a "one-note bass" that I cannot stand. It's quite powerfull in the bass but there's no detail for the lack of a better description.
It's not a bad headphone, I actually like it better than the K-601 (or what I remember it. I still own the K-601 but I'm too laisy to get a listen :D), but it cannot match the MDs in term of technicalities/musicality. And it feels cheap on the head...

The voicing can be overcome trying different pairing. I actually like the MDs a lot with the D-ZERO even though the latter is clearly the limiting factor. I added the Concero which is also on the bright side (for me and compared to my other gears, YMMV) and the result is not dark anymore, very enjoyable!

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #4,632 of 6,388
Quote:

+1 I actually thought that this is where you were going with this originally when I ordered. My mistake. 
size]

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #4,633 of 6,388
Been using the MD with Alpha Pads and Meridian Explorer (50 Ohms version) for a few days now.  I am loving this combo.  Big sound, refined, rich and captivating midrange, it's near perfect for me.  My only desires are more bass slam, snappiness and volume from the ME.  I found the MD to be on the dark side with other amps, but the ME really opens it up.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #4,634 of 6,388
HUH! This is odd. So I buzzed my hair off (the usual), and the Mad Dogs are now DEFINITELY gripping my head better and sealing better. The hint of sibilance they had is basically gone, and the sound is fuller. THIS is what I expected the Mad Dogs to sound like. Before I thought they were brighter than the LCD2. No more. Now it's definitely on the dark side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back