"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 27, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #4,561 of 6,388
If you are asking for the best amp for the money with the MD is:

*Asgard 2 (my favorite)

*Schitt m/m combo

*o2

Asgard 2 seems to be a good value but a lot of people complain about hum issues,
I use to have that in an amp and sold it right the way, (just can't stand any hum hiss and electrical noise)

Is there a good match with audio gd amps (max 300$, 350$) ?? or good value brands available in Europe (living in France i'ts easier to get with no big shipping costs and taxes))

Thanks a lot

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #4,562 of 6,388
Audio GD makes a good product and competes well against Schitt but seem to cost a bit more. The older AGD products like the nfb 12.1 would be good value and should drive the MD's well. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #4,563 of 6,388
Quote:
Black stickers will be available for shipment tomorrow and are now on the site here.  A note: you need to use an open flame for 1second to soften the stickers, or you get a "blister" where it should say "lock."  I will post a video sometime tomorrow to show this.  It's fairly simple, and I will provide 5 stickers in a kit, in case you ruin one with excess heat.  I won't warranty any damage done to the phone, so it's on the user to do this right.  

For new orders, if you order the phone with the stealth stickers I will pre-apply them for you, and include stock stickers in your package should you wish to resell the phones, or just change your mind.

Alright so I have been a bit behind and just am getting around to this. I want to order these stickers. However, $6 for shipping is turning me off. Surely it cannot be $6 to put stickers in an envelope and send it....

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #4,564 of 6,388
Quote:
And will you be making an appearance at the Atlanta event? 

Unfortunately I don't think so, events have to be pretty large to justify flying cross country... 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #4,565 of 6,388
^^ But I'm gonna be there. 
size]

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #4,566 of 6,388
Quote:
Alright so I have been a bit behind and just am getting around to this. I want to order these stickers. However, $6 for shipping is turning me off. Surely it cannot be $6 to put stickers in an envelope and send it....

I didn't have the First Class Mail option on for the site.  It's now on.  Please don't order headphones shipped first class, though, not the right way to ship them due to tracking...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #4,567 of 6,388
Perfect. Thanks Dan. Ordered a set.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #4,568 of 6,388
Thanks!  I found an option buried in the shipping controls to allow me to use a first class letter, and it seems smart enough to know you can't stuff a 10x10x6 box into it, so problem solved. 

Having a very big eCommerce engine behind the site qualifies as blessing and curse.  
rolleyes.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #4,569 of 6,388
I just received my MDs with Dog Pads and they sound great.  I'm still waiting on the Alpha Pads to get in the mail, they should arrive shortly.  I have a question, however.

I thought the MDs came with the stock Fostex cable as well as the VModa 1/8" cable, but I have only receive the stock cable.  Am I completely wrong in thinking that they came with both cable, or will the VModa cable arrive with the Alpha Pads?

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #4,570 of 6,388
Quote:
I just received my MDs with Dog Pads and they sound great.  I'm still waiting on the Alpha Pads to get in the mail, they should arrive shortly.  I have a question, however.

I thought the MDs came with the stock Fostex cable as well as the VModa 1/8" cable, but I have only receive the stock cable.  Am I completely wrong in thinking that they came with both cable, or will the VModa cable arrive with the Alpha Pads?

It should have both, we must have left the cable out. Just PM and we'll square you up.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #4,572 of 6,388
Got Matt's Mad Dogs (with Alpha Pads) as a loaner.

First impressions: Holy crap, they are stupid comfy. Seriously, that comfort is like 9/10. The pads feel amazing. The comfort strap is VERY welcome.

Getting a good seal for me isn't easy with my ears and these pads. I would prefer stronger clamp, as just barely pressing the cups to my ears gives me a good seal and sound improves quite a bit. As it stands, it feels a little loose, and voices sound slightly sibilant, and bass isn't strong. So without holding the cups, I feel I lost a little SQ. It's like two different headphones depending on clamp.

I could definitely tell these are quite stellar, assuming you can get a really tight seal and good enough clamp.

The sound signature definitely sounds like a less refined, closed LCD2. Assuming you get a GREAT seal, this is a pretty solid, cheaper alternative. Still, you can hear the refinement/improvement when jumping from the MD to the LCD2. No question. A cleaner, smoother sound, with quite a bit more air and dimensionality. Voices are more natural than the MD too. Mid forwardness is similar, so I must say, LOVE the tonal balance on the Mad Dogs.

Not a fan of the alpha pads due to the lack of 'give' they have. I would have loved for them to mold on the face, so the seal would improve more, ah well. I wonder how the dog pads are in comparison? I really do want a fair bit more clamp. I have to ask Matt if he bent them for less clamp.

Don't get me wrong. Assuming I get a tighter clamp, these are easily the best closed headphones I have ever heard outside of the D7000. They are a STEAL at $300. No doubt about it. I wouldn't QUESTION owning these if I needed a closed headphone, if it gave me the sound that they give me when I just barely hold them to my ears.

And yes, I would actually choose these over the HE-400, again, if the clamp was stronger, and I could manage to get it to sound like when I press the cups to my ears just a little. Why? Because it does sound like a baby/closed LCD2. Not quite there, but for $300, you can't expect it to be.

Also, gotta mention, these should fit ANY head. There is a lot of extension here. Very appreciated.

Consider me a believer in the MDs, despite a few caveats, and it not quite reaching LCD2 status.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #4,574 of 6,388
Compass 2, which pumps 2 watts at 50ohm. Also used them off my Marantz SR5002 receiver, and it sounds basically the same.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #4,575 of 6,388
I agree the clamp force on the MD's aren't very strong, but I think that is why they are so widely known for their comfort. Clamp, is huge when anyone is judging comfort and I think the Alpha Pads, were made partially for that reason. I do prefer my LCD-2/3 but the MD's are very good for the price, and a great portable/transportable headphone where I can get great sound quality, and a similar sound to the LCD-2/3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back