"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #4,547 of 6,388
Waiting for MD to get home...

I own a musical fidelity xcan v3 which a tube transistors hybrid, he 400's and asus essence st for the pc

I like better the sound with only the integrated opamps from my essence st sound card (gain +18 db) ,
more energetic with better bass slams

Now for the MD what would be the best value amp (with pc's) to get something sounding really better ?

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #4,549 of 6,388
I found my IBasso D-Zero lying around and decided to give it a try with the MDs (I remembered the D-ZERO is quite bright/lean sounding, so it might be a good match for the dark MDs).

In term of voicing, the result is simply excellent! Better than my Fostex HP-A3 and my main rig which both are slightly warm.
I now get a neutral sound (pretty much like the 5LEs on my main rig, with less bite in the treble).

Some might say it's placebo but I already noticed an improvement (in voicing) when I replaced the stock fostex cable with the v-moda.
From the very beginning I told Dan I thought the Fostex cable was faulty. The voicing was odd in the mids and I had lots of static noise. He told me this could happen with this particular cable and that deoxid could fix it.
I didn't try that because the statics were less frequent. Still, the voicing is much better with the v-moda...

Anyway, placebo or not placebo, I really enjoy the pairing! The iBasso can deliver up to 95mWpc @ 32R, which seems to be enough and I'm still on low gain (I listen at low volume).
This is with the Dog Pads, the Alphas are happily sitting on the 5LEs for now :D

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #4,550 of 6,388
Is anyone ordering the replacement stickers?

I was looking to see if someone in the US could help me by purchasing them for me, and then mail them to Canada in a plain letter envelope.
I could pay for my stamps used, and the stamps used to send them to Canada. I could also split the shipping to your home to make it more worthwhile for you. Right now, it would cost $28 to send a few stickers straight to Canada...

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #4,551 of 6,388
Quote:
Yeah, thats my dilemma. I like the smooth planar sound but not sure whether to get MD's or HE 500..

Why a dilemma?!
Question, do you NEED a closed-back headphone? Or you wouldn't mind it being "open"?
Also, are you on a budget? Or not?

You answer those two questions, end of the "dilemma"! :p

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #4,552 of 6,388
Quote:

1) Not really.  There are enough headphones in the price range that are more efficient than the Mad Dog that will be closer to their best without an amp.
2) Not really, and many will find they can't get it to a satisfying volume level without an amp.  Not that I think it's a great headphone, but you can at least drive an ATH-M50 to a satisfying level straight out of an iPhone.
3) LFF's Paradox, the now discontinued Denon D7000, Fostex TH900 (and probably the TH600).  All cost at least $200 more.  While the last three can achieve a decent volume without an amp, they also sound better out of a good amp.  The Paradox, like the Mad Dog, will also require a decent amp.
4) No.
5) I think the MD is just barely on the dark side of neutral and very smooth.  There's no real consensus as many are using different amps and sources and have different preferences.  Just read through the thread starting with comments from around Feb 7th (that's the date the new pads were released).
6) I'm pretty sure this was posted just a few pages back.

Is there any reason in particular you don't want an amp?

Agree with all jazzerdave mentioned.
I find the Mad Dogs super underwhelming without proper amplification.

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #4,553 of 6,388
Quote:

Agree with all jazzerdave mentioned.
I find the Mad Dogs super underwhelming without proper amplification.

Agree as well. And a powerful one at that... Another thing I've noticed is they readily convey the character of the amp you use. Feed them a warm amp, and you'll get that warm dark sound, but use one that has a brighter treble with some more edge, and that will really come through as well (the ALO Rx mk3 helps their detail and energy a lot, because while it's a neutral amp with great clarity, the treble is very nice and detailed and it's anything but dark and laid-back).

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #4,554 of 6,388
Why a dilemma?!
Question, do you NEED a closed-back headphone? Or you wouldn't mind it being "open"?
Also, are you on a budget? Or not?

You answer those two questions, end of the "dilemma"! :p

Ha, good points. I went for the HE 500's as I managed to get a used pair for $400!

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #4,555 of 6,388
Mad Dogs arrived around 10am. Spent the rest of the work day enjoying them.
SRH-940's, DT880's, and Q701's are going back to the store.
Thank you Guitar Center for your 30-day return policy.

Mad Dogs are here to stay!

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #4,556 of 6,388
Quote:
^^ yes. To get the kind of sound that people speak so highly of with the MD you'll need a decent amp. If you are dead set against buying amp, then you'll need to look elsewhere.

If I may add another option....of form over best value....which it seems you are keen on.....I own a Colorfly C4 source....and i'm sure that or similar Ibasso DX100 will be plenty to get very decent and impressive results from the mad dogs....as they are with Sein HD800's! A neat one box option....but not a cheap one!

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #4,557 of 6,388
Quote:
Ha, good points. I went for the HE 500's as I managed to get a used pair for $400!

Nice and at an excellent price too!!

Enjoy!

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #4,558 of 6,388
Dan, will you be bringing Mad dogs to sell to the Long Island event?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back