"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #4,531 of 6,388
Quote:
Yay!  Off to order them then.  Thank you for making the darth dogs a reality. 

EDIT:  Actually, wait a sec.  Should I put both the headphones and stickers in my cart or should I just order the headphones and put a request note to use the darth stickers?

Order both...  I want to avoid confusing people with two versions of the same headphone, so this is a special order...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #4,532 of 6,388
Quote:
Black stickers will be available for shipment tomorrow and are now on the site here.  A note: you need to use an open flame for 1second to soften the stickers, or you get a "blister" where it should say "lock."  I will post a video sometime tomorrow to show this.  It's fairly simple, and I will provide 5 stickers in a kit, in case you ruin one with excess heat.  I won't warranty any damage done to the phone, so it's on the user to do this right.  

For new orders, if you order the phone with the stealth stickers I will pre-apply them for you, and include stock stickers in your package should you wish to resell the phones, or just change your mind.

Awesome news! I'll be buying them when I get back to town in that case!

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #4,535 of 6,388
While we're on the topic of stickers, is there a reason that you stopped using the angry dog sticker? I was a little sad to see it gone when I get my MD's back from their  840 upgrade.
dt880smile.png
Of course it's all about the sound, so it's all good, but I was just curious.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #4,536 of 6,388
A few questions. Would appreciate unbiased answers.

1.) Is the Mad Dog worth it if you are not planning on using an amp?
2.) Is the Mad Dog without an amp sonically "better" than other closed headphones at the price?
3.) What other closed headphones are comparable or "better" to the Mad Dogs (not factoring in price)
4.) If this was going to be the only pair of headphones you own (without an amp), is this a good choice?
5.) What is the general consensus of the headphones sound signature?
(if you can compare it to other well-known headphones that would be helpful)
6.) Can someone with these headphones, please post earcup dimensions & depth pictures if it's not too much trouble?

Thank you! :)

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #4,537 of 6,388
How about am 18v BSG CMoy would it deliver the punch to MD's ?

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #4,539 of 6,388
Hey Dan would you do a warranty transfer on a product bought used? 2nd hand and only ~2 weeks old with paypal invoice.

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #4,540 of 6,388
Quote:

2.) Is the Mad Dog without an amp sonically "better" than other closed headphones at the price?
3.) What other closed headphones are comparable or "better" to the Mad Dogs (not factoring in price)
4.) If this was going to be the only pair of headphones you own (without an amp), is this a good choice?
6.) Can someone with these headphones, please post earcup dimensions & depth pictures if it's not too much trouble?

If you NEVER plan on buying an amp, then you'd really be holding these hp's back. The are heavily modded ortho-dynamics and they really need an amp to show what they can do. You can drive them from an ipod but they just want have much wow factor. 

The MD, to me, is voiced neutral to dark/neutral. Incredibly well balanced with linear bass. The Alpha pads really assist in the presentation, depth and width of the sound stage and almost sound like an open hp. They certainly sound more expensive to my ears and would be akin to something like an lcd2 ( although the lcd is of course not closed ). 

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #4,541 of 6,388
Quote:

1) Not really.  There are enough headphones in the price range that are more efficient than the Mad Dog that will be closer to their best without an amp.
2) Not really, and many will find they can't get it to a satisfying volume level without an amp.  Not that I think it's a great headphone, but you can at least drive an ATH-M50 to a satisfying level straight out of an iPhone.
3) LFF's Paradox, the now discontinued Denon D7000, Fostex TH900 (and probably the TH600).  All cost at least $200 more.  While the last three can achieve a decent volume without an amp, they also sound better out of a good amp.  The Paradox, like the Mad Dog, will also require a decent amp.
4) No.
5) I think the MD is just barely on the dark side of neutral and very smooth.  There's no real consensus as many are using different amps and sources and have different preferences.  Just read through the thread starting with comments from around Feb 7th (that's the date the new pads were released).
6) I'm pretty sure this was posted just a few pages back.

Is there any reason in particular you don't want an amp?

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #4,542 of 6,388
Thanks to jazzerdave & MattTCG for the informative responses.

Quote:
Is there any reason in particular you don't want an amp?

Well, there seems to be so many headphone amp choices, I don't even know where to start. It seems like certain amps are colored different ways or pair well with certain headphones or is just a volume boost, so I have no idea what constitutes as a good amp. I am also iffy about the sonic upgrades for the price investment. I would also like to keep things as simple as possible. I am currently just browsing around to see what is the best closed headphones that you can just plug-and-play.

Mad Dogs seemed to have a lot of glowing reviews, so I was just curious about them. So basically, it seems like you all agree that other lower impedance headphones "at-their-best" unamped performance will outperform the Mad Dogs unamped, and the high praise of the Mad Dogs is only achievable with an amp?

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #4,543 of 6,388
^^ yes. To get the kind of sound that people speak so highly of with the MD you'll need a decent amp. If you are dead set against buying amp, then you'll need to look elsewhere.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #4,544 of 6,388
Quote:
While we're on the topic of stickers, is there a reason that you stopped using the angry dog sticker? I was a little sad to see it gone when I get my MD's back from their  840 upgrade.
dt880smile.png
Of course it's all about the sound, so it's all good, but I was just curious.

I just felt a cleaner look better reflected the sound.  These phones are about neutrality, honesty and fun, not thud or sizzle, so the imagery felt off.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #4,545 of 6,388
Quote:
Hey Dan would you do a warranty transfer on a product bought used? 2nd hand and only ~2 weeks old with paypal invoice.

I believe in supporting the product, so if you have proof of original purchase from the original owner I will cover it even if transferred.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back