"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #4,441 of 6,388
Quote:
^^ Hmm...spend $300 and get the hd600. 

+1

or spend a little more and get the HD650/HE-400, haha. This place = evil.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #4,442 of 6,388
Quote:
I much prefer the old DAC; I guess I'm behind the curve on the Rockbox news.

Note to self: fact-check posts before making them.

Huh. I haven't rockboxed my 6g as I use it in my car stereo, and rockboxing breaks that compatibility. I have however rockboxed a 5G 30GB. However, it had some HDD issues, and I was only able to copy about 2 songs onto it. I didn't notice any night and day differences between the two DACs, but then again I didn't do any extensive A/B testing though. Just quick "how do both of these sound going into my O2 and out to my HD600s" type of test.
Quote:
^^ Hmm...spend $300 and get the hd600 from razordogdeals NIB. Also consider the audio technica ath-ad700. 

Hmm, I'm doubtful that the AD700 will sound as good as the MD, and I actually found the overall sound of the MD to be superior to the HD600.
Quote:
Help with budget open headphones to complement the Mad Dogs

Ok, I've had my Mad Dogs for a little over a week and absolutely love them. I've got about 15 hours of listening in with them connected to the Magni and they really do sound great. The isolation is perfect for me to listen while my wife has the TV on or is doing something else. I can really get into the music without bothering her.

Last night I was going through my taxes one last time and realized that I will owe less than I thought so now I have some "found" money to spend on fun stuff instead of giving to Uncle Sam
biggrin.gif
 I'm thinking that instead of getting another pair of closed headphones, it would be nice to have some open headphones that I can use when I'm alone in the room. My budget is probably under $250 (under $200 even better) and if they didn't absolutely need an outboard amp to get decent sound that would be a plus. 

I guess I'm looking for something that can complement the sound of the Mad Dogs, but in an open design.

What suggestions do you guys have?

See my post above to Matt regarding my opinions on the HD600 and AD700... Maybe save up your money for something from HifiMan? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Or just buy another set of Mad Dogs!

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #4,443 of 6,388
Quote:

Ok, I've had my Mad Dogs for a little over a week and absolutely love them. I've got about 15 hours of listening in with them connected to the Magni and they really do sound great. The isolation is perfect for me to listen while my wife has the TV on or is doing something else. I can really get into the music without bothering her.

Last night I was going through my taxes one last time and realized that I will owe less than I thought so now I have some "found" money to spend on fun stuff instead of giving to Uncle Sam
biggrin.gif
 I'm thinking that instead of getting another pair of closed headphones, it would be nice to have some open headphones that I can use when I'm alone in the room. My budget is probably under $250 (under $200 even better) and if they didn't absolutely need an outboard amp to get decent sound that would be a plus. 

I guess I'm looking for something that can complement the sound of the Mad Dogs, but in an open design.

If you're looking to get a similar sound in an open can, my only real recommendation is the HD650.  It's possible to find a used HD650 for $250 or less, especially if you don't mind one with a little bit of the paint chipping (that's what I did).  If you're looking for something you could also use for an alternative sound signature, then Grado could be a decent alternative. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #4,445 of 6,388
Would you guys say the Mad Dogs are the most comfortable planars available? I'll be moving in with my girlfriend in the summer and may need something closed and comfy because we're on different schedules. I've already spent my money in my head on so many things - an iFi iUSB and HRT Music Streamer HD....or a Centrance Hi-Fi M8 (but if I get THAT, I HAVE to get Mad Dogs!)...

This place...my wallet softly weeps...

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #4,447 of 6,388
Quote:
^^ Hmm...spend $300 and get the hd600 from razordogdeals NIB. Also consider the audio technica ath-ad700. 

At this stage $300 is too much, but the ad700 at under $100 is tempting, especially in the short term. I could upgrade from there without too much "lost money".

Quote:
+1

or spend a little more and get the HD650/HE-400, haha. This place = evil.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yes, this place is evil, very evil! No shortage of opportunities to spend your money. I may save up for a better open can though, if I can resist the temptation long enough.

Quote:
Huh. I haven't rockboxed my 6g as I use it in my car stereo, and rockboxing breaks that compatibility. I have however rockboxed a 5G 30GB. However, it had some HDD issues, and I was only able to copy about 2 songs onto it. I didn't notice any night and day differences between the two DACs, but then again I didn't do any extensive A/B testing though. Just quick "how do both of these sound going into my O2 and out to my HD600s" type of test.
Hmm, I'm doubtful that the AD700 will sound as good as the MD, and I actually found the overall sound of the MD to be superior to the HD600.

See my post above to Matt regarding my opinions on the HD600 and AD700... Maybe save up your money for something from HifiMan? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Or just buy another set of Mad Dogs!

I've read a lot of good things about the HifiMan so I might just put a pair on the "need to try" list.

Quote:

If you're looking to get a similar sound in an open can, my only real recommendation is the HD650.  It's possible to find a used HD650 for $250 or less, especially if you don't mind one with a little bit of the paint chipping (that's what I did).  If you're looking for something you could also use for an alternative sound signature, then Grado could be a decent alternative. 

Yeah, the HD600/650 seem to come up quite a bit. I guess I should give them a listen and see what all the fuss is about.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #4,448 of 6,388
Quote:
At this stage $300 is too much, but the ad700 at under $100 is tempting, especially in the short term. I could upgrade from there without too much "lost money".

Yes, this place is evil, very evil! No shortage of opportunities to spend your money. I may save up for a better open can though, if I can resist the temptation long enough.

I've read a lot of good things about the HifiMan so I might just put a pair on the "need to try" list.

Yeah, the HD600/650 seem to come up quite a bit. I guess I should give them a listen and see what all the fuss is about.

Yeah, do give all of them a listen before you invest any heard earned money in them. For me though, I must say that I thought the HD600 was lacking in detail in the treble compared to the Mad Dog. The sound sigs were similar though, with the bass being slower on the HD600 and the treble is a bit more present. Still not as detailed though IMO.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #4,449 of 6,388
Since when did this become a general recommendations thread?

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #4,450 of 6,388

biggrin.gif

I would recommend the HD558 or HD598. They both have a fairly smooth, even response. Their only real downside is somewhat high harmonic distortion...but not overly so.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #4,451 of 6,388
Quote:
good to know and with the mod on the classic can it play flac? also how would you think the new fiio x3 that is comming out in june compare to the classic and the cowon z2?

omg no stinkin way, Fiio is doin a DAP, lawl those mad scientists. WEll they are about to DOMNIATE the market even more! 

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #4,452 of 6,388
Quote:
Since when did this become a general recommendations thread?

When someone said they wanted to know what open backed headphone would compliment the Mad Dog the best?

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #4,453 of 6,388
Quote:
Is it just me or did this thread turn into a big gathering of midrangehead?

On a side note, if Dan offered a white Mad Dog, I'd jump on the thing, call it the best thing since sliced bread, and end my audio journey.

The only reason I haven't gotten a pair of MD is because I don't like the look of the stock T50RP...

There's nothing in the high end, nothing.

Welcome to cheap fi:)

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #4,455 of 6,388
Quote:
ValueFi IMO

OOOOh I see a whole new thread coming on.:) As circumstance would have it, I just picked up a piece of electronics on a whim today. 3 Bucks used, Xitel MD Port An1. Sold back when as a means to put your audio from usb port to your MD player analog input. IE USB/DAC. So far bright/critical needs an amp but quite quite the pleasant surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back