"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #4,426 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm actually weighing the pros and cons of the Schiit products to go along wih the MDs I will order. Is it better to upgrade the amp or the DAC?

I mean, is it better to get the Asgard 2 and the Bifrost (DAC upgrade) or is it better to get th Valhalla or Lyr and the Modi DAC (Amp upgrade)?

Or will I get good enough results with the Asgard 2 and Modi? Damn, I'm lost... The good news is that I can buy tthe Schiit products directly from them, they sell worldwide and with the right 230V voltage and EU plugs...

I can't upgrade both the amp and DAC but I wonder which upgrade will give the best results...
Thanks!

As a former long time Lyr owner, I must remind you that you have to factor in the cost of decent tubes to your equation. The stock tubes are just terrible (not just my opinion). Might have to spend $50~$100 on tubes to see what the Lyr can actually do.

Personally... I would get Asgard 2 + Modi. That sounds like a lot of fun. Although I did love my Bifrost when I had it. It also seems like DAC technology is changing much faster than Amps. So you're Asgard 2 will still be good when Modi 2 or 3 comes out and Modi 2 will probably be better than Bifrost 1.
wink_face.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #4,427 of 6,388
Hello I am going to buy these headphones after hearing how great they are from so many people on here :). I am also looking to buy a new DAP my old creative zen vision m 60gb died.  I am trying to pick a good one so far i am looking at the fiios x3  or a cowon z2 any other suggestion would be great my budget is $400.  Just so you know my music tastes I like all types of music but my main music is rock,country and pop.

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #4,428 of 6,388
Quote:
Hello I am going to buy these headphones after hearing how great they are from so many people on here :). I am also looking to buy a new DAP my old creative zen vision m 60gb died.  I am trying to pick a good one so far i am looking at the fiios x3  or a cowon z2 any other suggestion would be great my budget is $400.  Just so you know my music tastes I like all types of music but my main music is rock,country and pop.

I might get shouted at for this, but maybe take a look at the iPod Classic (used or new?) and maybe an amp like a JDS C5 amp as well for under the $400 price bracket?

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #4,429 of 6,388
Quote:
I might get shouted at for this, but maybe take a look at the iPod Classic (used or new?) and maybe an amp like a JDS C5 amp as well for under the $400 price bracket?

I agree with this. Rockboxed classic is a very decent DAP. Can be had for cheap and most people have an abundance of idevice cables around.
I hate that my Cowon has a proprietory cable that I've since lost making the thing unusable. Drives me nuts.

For portable rig (for which I bought my Mad Dogs) I have a Rockboxed iPod classic and Fiio E11. For sure not the best but for price/performance, I'm very happy with.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #4,431 of 6,388
Quote:
Thanks for the ideas :) as for sound would the classic be better than the z2?

If no amp then I prefer the Cowon output. But with an amp there is little difference between them especially if you use a LOD with the ipod.

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #4,433 of 6,388
Quote:
good to know and with the mod on the classic can it play flac? also how would you think the new fiio x3 that is comming out in june compare to the classic and the cowon z2?

Rockboxed, the Classic can do FLAC all day long, and has the space for it, too. However, there are some major cautions:

The newest (7th-gen) Classic cannot be Rockboxed due to upped security built into it; It also has a new DAC that reportedly sounds less accurate and a bit grainy compared to the old Wolfson unit.

In addition, there may be some advantages to the FiiO because it's been designed with direct feedback from the Head-Fi community and has been built to higher SQ standards than the Classic (especially the current model). However, I can't comment directly as I haven't heard it.

The Cowon is a great device from a hardware standpoint right out of the box and sounds like no other player at its price point, but it runs on an old version of Android that isn't really up to current standards. And if you're in the US, dealing with Jet Audio (their distributor) is ALWAYS a pain.

Don't be afraid to check out more niche options, too.

EDIT: X3 is currently in production

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #4,434 of 6,388
The X3 is in production now...

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #4,436 of 6,388
Rockboxed, the Classic can do FLAC all day long, and has the space for it, too. However, there are some major cautions:

The newest (7th-gen) Classic cannot be Rockboxed due to upped security built into it; It also has a new DAC that reportedly sounds less accurate and a bit grainy compared to the old Wolfson unit.

In addition, there may be some advantages to the FiiO because it's been designed with direct feedback from the Head-Fi community and has been built to higher SQ standards than the Classic (especially the current model). However, I can't comment directly as I haven't heard it.

The Cowon is a great device from a hardware standpoint right out of the box and sounds like no other player at its price point, but it runs on an old version of Android that isn't really up to current standards. And if you're in the US, dealing with Jet Audio (their distributor) is ALWAYS a pain.

Don't be afraid to check out more niche options, too.

EDIT: X3 is currently in production

The iPod classic 6th and 7th generation can in fact be rockboxed, you just have to put emcore loader on them first. Here's a tutorial: www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening
Additionally, I actually own an iPod classic, and I can say that the DAC in it sounds perfectly fine. The DAC on board the iPod has fared very well against the other DACs I've heard under the $100 price point.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #4,437 of 6,388
Quote:
The iPod classic 6th and 7th generation can in fact be rockboxed, you just have to put emcore loader on them first. Here's a tutorial: www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening
Additionally, I actually own an iPod classic, and I can say that the DAC in it sounds perfectly fine. The DAC on board the iPod has fared very well against the other DACs I've heard under the $100 price point.

I much prefer the old DAC; I guess I'm behind the curve on the Rockbox news.

Note to self: fact-check posts before making them.

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #4,438 of 6,388
Help with budget open headphones to complement the Mad Dogs

Ok, I've had my Mad Dogs for a little over a week and absolutely love them. I've got about 15 hours of listening in with them connected to the Magni and they really do sound great. The isolation is perfect for me to listen while my wife has the TV on or is doing something else. I can really get into the music without bothering her.

Last night I was going through my taxes one last time and realized that I will owe less than I thought so now I have some "found" money to spend on fun stuff instead of giving to Uncle Sam
biggrin.gif
 I'm thinking that instead of getting another pair of closed headphones, it would be nice to have some open headphones that I can use when I'm alone in the room. My budget is probably under $250 (under $200 even better) and if they didn't absolutely need an outboard amp to get decent sound that would be a plus. 

I guess I'm looking for something that can complement the sound of the Mad Dogs, but in an open design.

What suggestions do you guys have?

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #4,440 of 6,388
thanks for all your ideas and input :) I am looking for the best DAP for me around the $400 price range so far it sounds like a choice between the cowon z2 and the fiios x3 but all other options are welcome like I said before I listen to all types of music but my main music is rock,county and pop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back