"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #4,216 of 6,388
Received my Mad Dogs with Alpha pads late last week. This thread lead me to get the Mad Dogs and I am in no way disappointed. Like having the worlds most comfortable couch strapped to my head with fantastic speakers imbedded. I have previously heard DT 770, Ultrasone 900 Pro, Sennheiser 380 Pro, Sennheiser 555, Shure SE535, Shure SE310, Sony MDR-V600, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. The Mad Dogs sound great (to me!) straight out of MacBook Pro, iPad, MBP+FIIO e17, and MBP+Total Bithead. I am having some trouble detecting differences with different DAC/amp combinations aside from volume level limitations. I have been looking for amp/DAC combos to allow the Mad Dogs to reach their full potential, but I am really having difficulty in deciding on the setup. I would like a portable setup (otherwise the Magni/Modi would top the list), and preferably a combined unit with USB charging (otherwise the O2/Odac would be ordered already). Currently I am interested in the PDC XM6 amp/DAC combo, especially as I do find crossover nice for some tracks I listen to and the 75Ohm switch would be useful for listening with my 535s. I am worried that the XM6 is insufficient to properly supply the current these cans deserve (and I don't know much about op-amp rolling to improve this), and I am slightly bothered that the DAC is not truly 24/192 due to USB interface limitations in the unit. I have also read some serious complaints about the customer service at PDC. Does anyone have a recommendation for another suitable dac/amp combo, opinions on the xm6, or notes on what to expect when the Mad Dogs are finally properly amped when compared with straight out of MacBook? Thanks all! and Thanks to Dan for your skilled work!

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #4,219 of 6,388
Quote:
I ordered another pair of MD's and got them in today. New stickering on the cups. 

I like it. Simple, elegant, border free. Nice work Dan!!

Definitely good looking. Also like the "font" used.
Will definitely be picking up a couple of them once the page is up in the accessories section.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #4,221 of 6,388
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #4,222 of 6,388
Quote:
I'll take a set in deep red to coordinate with my red/black vmoda cable. 
size]
 FTW...

If we can actually pick color, that would be amazing. I'd get a red set too.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #4,224 of 6,388
Quote:
I ordered another pair of MD's and got them in today. New stickering on the cups. 

I like it. Simple, elegant, border free. Nice work Dan!!

I like the new stickers, the old ones felt takcy xD. I do how ever thing the logo would be sexy on the head band ;3

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #4,227 of 6,388
I'll take a set in deep red to coordinate with my red/black vmoda cable. 
size]

FTW...

If we can actually pick color, that would be amazing. I'd get a red set too.

I think that might look better overall, the new ones look a bit too simplistic in white IMO (wasn't crazy about the old ones but at least they had some flavor to them)... Is Dan currently using red V-Moda cables or are they black/grey or just whatever's available?

It'd have to be bright red or it'd disappear into the cup tho (not dark V-moda red). I think an orange/brass color on the font might pop more too and it'd match the arms.

Instead of black text, puce.  JK.  Moving on...

http://www.colourlovers.com/color/814444/184_puce

I think that might be off, Google Images search comes up with stuff that's lighter and closer to violet/pink than red/copper, might just be my phone's display throwing everything off tho...

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #4,228 of 6,388
I do like the original design , but I really like how the new one blends in.

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #4,229 of 6,388
I would like a portable setup (otherwise the Magni/Modi would top the list), and preferably a combined unit with USB charging (otherwise the O2/Odac would be ordered already)... I am worried that the XM6 is insufficient to properly supply the current these cans deserve (and I don't know much about op-amp rolling to improve this), and I am slightly bothered that the DAC is not truly 24/192 due to USB interface limitations in the unit... Does anyone have a recommendation for another suitable dac/amp combo?

I've been looking for something similar myself, but I'm also unsure whether it'd be worthwhile for the MD or whether I should just focus on a transportable setup instead...

I'd been looking into the Leckerton UHA-6S MkII but the best I could scrounge up were a few positive comments from others in the thread who're happy with the pairing and the Inner Fidelity review which tested it w/other planar magnetics.

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #4,230 of 6,388
The MKII does look nice. Not as feature rich as the xm6, but the price is about 2/3. Which op-amps would you choose for driving these orthos? I understand that the Mad Dogs scale up to the highest tier amps, but do you think the MKII alone would be sufficient for a significant gain in performance over direct source output? Especially compared to the cheaper Magni/Modi combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back