"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 13, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #4,186 of 6,388
Would Mayflower V1 T50RPs + Alphadog pads + a BMG 8-strand re-cable be better or worse that Alphadog cans ?......because they work out at a similar price.
Cans (M.F. V1) $140 + Alphadog pads $60 + cables circa $100 = $300.

I just liked the mention of bass slanted sound in the Mayflower V1's.
I had thought of getting Beyer velour pads but was unsure if they would help or hinder bass....

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #4,187 of 6,388
Is the bass on the V3s as textured and detailed as the mad dogs? Or is it a bit more boomy?
Also, I've heard that the V3's soundstage is quite intimate, any comparisons between them in that area?

Thanks for your help. I'll probably try and sneak in a demo of the V3s on my trip to Portland...

I'd also like to know this too please

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #4,188 of 6,388
Quote:
Is the bass on the V3s as textured and detailed as the mad dogs? Or is it a bit more boomy?
Also, I've heard that the V3's soundstage is quite intimate, any comparisons between them in that area?
Thanks for your help. I'll probably try and sneak in a demo of the V3s on my trip to Portland...

Quote:

The bass in the V3's are more boomy in the sub-bass, it creates a more "fun" sound. The soundstage is smaller than the MD's, but still very good. V3's have the same 3D feeling as MD's, but they sound a bit more intimate. I would say that the V3's are a bit more fun sounding, while I feel the MD's are a bit more accurate in the frequency representation. Both are great sounding for their asking price though, and I wouldn't live without any of them. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #4,189 of 6,388
Quote:
Would Mayflower V1 T50RPs + Alphadog pads + a BMG 8-strand re-cable be better or worse that Alphadog cans ?......because they work out at a similar price.
Cans (M.F. V1) $140 + Alphadog pads $60 + cables circa $100 = $300.

I just liked the mention of bass slanted sound in the Mayflower V1's.
I had thought of getting Beyer velour pads but was unsure if they would help or hinder bass....

I doubt anybody's tried that combo in the history of history, so you're likely not going to find any advice on it.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #4,190 of 6,388
Quote:

The bass in the V3's are more boomy in the sub-bass, it creates a more "fun" sound. The soundstage is smaller than the MD's, but still very good. V3's have the same 3D feeling as MD's, but they sound a bit more intimate. I would say that the V3's are a bit more fun sounding, while I feel the MD's are a bit more accurate in the frequency representation. Both are great sounding for their asking price though, and I wouldn't live without any of them. 

That's what I wanted to hear, I'll definitely be trying them out when I go down to Portland then, thanks!

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #4,191 of 6,388
Took customs almost a week here, says that they have been forwarded and sorted so I should have my Mad Dog tomorrow. Lets see if I can tame my new dog then, looking forward to it :D

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #4,192 of 6,388
Anyway to lessen the clamp?

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #4,193 of 6,388
Received my Mad Dog APs today 

first impressions (1-2 hrs headtime):

-certainly on the south side of neutral, very reminiscent of the LCD-2

-impressive tonality, mids are right where they should be IMO, high end has a tad more presence than the audeze's IIRC...

-soundstage seems somewhat tight and compressed, imaging a bit fuzzy, mids down are a bit muddy...

-very little difference between my 160-D and RWAK-100 (mids are bit more forward)

hoping they will settle in with improved staging and imaging !

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #4,194 of 6,388
Quote:

Per the fit instructions included in the box, make sure you don't have them adjusted too high up.  Failing that, bend the headband out a bit.  Go gentle ... I assume it is easier to bend again then bend things back.  I concentrated about one inch beyond the F and X of the FOSTEX.

The first day I got my Alpha Mad Dogs I thought they were wildly uncomfortable due to excessive clamp.  They were borderline painful after about an hour.  So I bent them out a little.  I could not tell visually, but the clamp was lessened just a bit.  It didn't help that day, I assume because my skin was already overly sensitive to the pressure.  But two days now, I've worn them for hours without noticing them much.  Still not AKG 550 or Sennheiser 555 comfortable (I hardly notice I'm wearing those cans), but definitely "all day" wearable.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #4,196 of 6,388
Quote:

... I think the bass on the MD is boomy e.e [well "laid back"] but the closed MD does not have the tightness of my Dt 880 
Quote:

Yea what every one elese said
Quote:
Received my Mad Dog APs today 

first impressions (1-2 hrs headtime):

-certainly on the south side of neutral, very reminiscent of the LCD-2

-impressive tonality, mids are right where they should be IMO, high end has a tad more presence than the audeze's IIRC...

-soundstage seems somewhat tight and compressed, imaging a bit fuzzy, mids down are a bit muddy...

-very little difference between my 160-D and RWAK-100 (mids are bit more forward)

hoping they will settle in with improved staging and imaging !

Sounds about right, I feel the mids are a little softened, sound stage is intimate [also this can REALLY needs a good amp, the better the amp the better the can] The MD on my Portable ss is pretty bad, on my Indeed G3 with a Clear Top 12ua7a RCA tube it's MUCH better, bass tightens sound stage opens, highs carry forward and mids mellow out a little, but with upper mids I think my dt 880 does better. Still the md is a great can! 

I'm looking at a new complete Tube amp [power n pre tubes] for the Mds as well as  my future He 500, should have the amo within ... 4 MONTHS <.< still! I want a better Tube, I love my MD but my millet max [while great] needs improveing since the Millet is my AUDIPOPHILE tube and the indeed g3 is my BASS head tube. 

Bleh these really are great cans... although they are a little too warm for me. I'm tempted to return them... although tube amps might NOT be ideal for these cans. While they are really great for isolation and they have a nice warm sound. They are well to warm even with my colder tubes...

SO I'm putting my SLIGHTY used Mad Dogs up for Sale! I could get the return but meh I'd rather sell slighty cheaper to you guys <3 [plus I want that FEED back xD] 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/655417/mr-speakers-mad-dog-modded-fostex-t50-with-alpha-pads

Here's the link. Again I COULD get a full refund but :D I'd rather share with you guys ^^, and again they are GREAT cans. I just don't like closed cans... ever xD

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #4,197 of 6,388
I didn't really want to do the mod after fiddling with it for a while, feeling I would break something.. But after putting them back on, the clamp has gone down, and I didn't even do anything
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #4,198 of 6,388
They are pretty easy to stretch without a permanent kind of bend. Just do one side at a time. Make one side long and one short and give a little stretch, then do the other side. Even a little stretch has a noticeable difference

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #4,199 of 6,388
Does Dan typically mark your order as shipped? I just see that it is completed.

To tell you the truth, I am a bit nervous if this doesn't work out. I just returned the Ultrasones Pro 900 as I thought they were really too dark for my tastes, but like the sparkly treble with my audio technica...and did enjoy the bass of the ultrasones. I am nervous because I want to stick with closed back headphones...and I see many on here recommend open back all the time (for good reason it seems).

I am still undecided on whether I should get the  Schiit Magni or the Asgard 2. I really haven't seen anything in this thread about a comparison between the two (except for one short post). 

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #4,200 of 6,388
It will only be marked complete, you should be getting an email saying shipped if it is already being shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back