"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #4,171 of 6,388
Make sure the headphone cable is plugged in correctly. If you are using the standard cable with the 6.5mm plug, the part that connects to the headphone twists and locks in place. Otherwise make sure the cable is plugged in tightly or even try another cable.

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #4,172 of 6,388
Quote:
Okay, I think I got a seal and rose the lower freqs which did help. Is it normal though to hear static when the music plays? Usually it's with high female vocals or certain instruments like in faster songs like electronic. It's sounds like a slight distortion? I hope I even set this up correctly. It just does not seem right at all. My amp knob is not even high and even when I lowered the volume very low I still heard it. The music files are lossless and 320kbps lossy.

That doesn't sound right.  I'm assuming you've tried another headphone to confirm that it's not the amp.  If so, I'd guess that the MD's are actually defective.  While not unheard of, it's still a rarity.  I don't get any such distortion with my Schiit stack (or my other amps.

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #4,173 of 6,388
Quote:
I've had tons of different headphones (mostly in-ears) and previously had some cheap gaming headphones. Even my old IEMs had more bass. And the minute I received them, they had the Alpha Pads pre-applied, so I didn't tamper with anything. I'm not expecting the headphone to shake from bass, but I literally just don't feel ANY impact. I put on some pretty bass heavy music and didn't find it.

I felt the bass was lacking as well coming from my HD600, but after listening to it for a while, I got used to it and now I wouldn't have it any other way :)
Quote:
So...did your Mad Dogs come installed with the alpha pads or not? I'm a bit confused, haha. You shouldn't need to change anything if they came installed with them.

Edit: Seems like these are new with the alpha pads pre-applied. The below still applies.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Mad Dog has relatively flat/neutral bass, and you may be accustomed to headphones with additional bass. So, on one hand, other headphones you're used to might simply have more emphasized bass (if you were looking at frequency response measurements). They might also have more harmonic distortion in the bass, which gives the perception of more or fuller bass (or bloated) than a headphone with less harmonic distortion (even if the frequency response measures about the same). So while the headphone with more bass harmonic distortion might sound fuller, thicker, etc., the response is technically more distorted and less clean. The Mad Dog should have relatively low harmonic distortion across the board, so you're getting a nice neutral, clean bass response from these. Your ears might just not be adjusted yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, the T50RP isn't the best headphone for putting out bass impact. The volume might be there, but you might not be able to feel it as much as other headphones. Many claim this could be due to the relatively small size of the driver.

I would also suggest you bump up the EQ in the 40-80Hz range, as measurements show the Mad Dog has a fairly small dip there relative to the surrounding frequencies. This might help you get back a bit of what you're looking for.

I was going to type up something about bass, but you've done an excellent job, so I'll just QFT.
Quote:
Yes, this is what I meant :)

How do your 1964 V3s  compare to the mad dogs? Thinking of getting them as a graduation gift for myself...
Quote:
Okay, I think I got a seal and rose the lower freqs which did help. Is it normal though to hear static when the music plays? Usually it's with high female vocals or certain instruments like in faster songs like electronic. It's sounds like a slight distortion? I hope I even set this up correctly. It just does not seem right at all. My amp knob is not even high and even when I lowered the volume very low I still heard it. The music files are lossless and 320kbps lossy.

Have you tried other songs to make sure it's not the mastering? The MDs can be more revealing of poor source than other headphones. Also verify that the amp/source device isn't to blame. If all else fails, maybe try using the other cable the MDs came with just for comparison?

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #4,174 of 6,388
Quote:

That doesn't sound right.  I'm assuming you've tried another headphone to confirm that it's not the amp.  If so, I'd guess that the MD's are actually defective.  While not unheard of, it's still a rarity.  I don't get any such distortion with my Schiit stack (or my other amps.

I couldn't believe it, hah. Winamp for some reason made that distortion. I downloaded foobar and tried them out, and they came out clean.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #4,176 of 6,388
Many software media players have software volume controls or equalizers that allow clipping to occur.  When that happens, you get distortion, regardless of volume adjustment on the amp.  The more revealing the headphone, the more likely this will become audible.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 11, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #4,177 of 6,388
Yup, you can hear clipping pretty easily with the Mad Dog (and most well-modded T50RPs), whether that be from the recording itself, EQ, software...you name it.

Also make sure you check the headphone cable. Sometimes it can cause static or channel dropouts and other problems. Try swiveling it around in both the cup jack and your source jack, bending cable near those spots, etc.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #4,178 of 6,388
Quote:
Many software media players have software volume controls or equalizers that allow clipping to occur.  When that happens, you get distortion, regardless of volume adjustment on the amp.  The more revealing the headphone, the more likely this will become audible.

That's one thing with which I have very little experience.  My only experience with USB is using the Modi (using foobar and .wav rips) at home for about a month and a HRT Music Streamer II for a couple months up at work (mostly streaming MOG).  I'm still a huge proponent of physical media and greatly prefer LP's, SACD's, and even regular CD's to USB/computer audio.  I guess I'm just a (not yet) 30 year old dinosaur.  At least I'm trying to get into it.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #4,179 of 6,388
If properly configured there really aren't any drawbacks compared to other digital media (or anything but vinyl really)... The convenience factor is huge tho, as I'm sure you got a taste of with MOG. Mind you, I'm still in favor of buying CDs for artists I really enjoy just so I can rip it myself...

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #4,180 of 6,388
I find that running bit-perfect via SPDIF out of my Mac into a really solid DAC/Amp stack, with a well done recording at 24/96, can rival analog. Each has it's pros and cons, but lossless digital feels to me to really be a great format now.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #4,181 of 6,388
Quote:
Said with a cheery disposition, "The Mad Dogs are very good, but the HE-500 is in a different league."   
bigsmile_face.gif

Oh yea OFC. I've been listening the CRAP out my Mad Dogs, but I still like my Dt 880 more [I just happen to not want to fire up my other tube amp atm... to lazy]

Still they are closed headphones and they sound AND isolate like it! He 500 being open is ofc better... well that am I'm a sucker for OPEN CANS

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #4,182 of 6,388
Quote:
I find that running bit-perfect via SPDIF out of my Mac into a really solid DAC/Amp stack, with a well done recording at 24/96, can rival analog. Each has it's pros and cons, but lossless digital feels to me to really be a great format now.

bleh I need a multi out multi input DAC with Spdif ins... both my pc and my new TV have spdif [optical] out. And my Wii u is BEGINNING for lossesss out put, the Tvs dac sound TERRIBLE but alas I blew WAY to much money on some stupid mmo -.- so I'll have to w8 [stupid me huh] 

non the less sugestion for a cheap amp with 2 inputs and like 3 outs puts xD Oh I have a buddy who's making me an Audio switch box, so one output should be sufficent... but MULTI SPDIFS IN [n rca outs] 

sadly while I really dig the laid back feel of the Mad Dogs for Nu Jazz, I do think they are overy forward in the mids in SOME places. VOCAL heavy tracks are a little to warm, again Linda Perhacs... is not the same on the Mad dogs, her voice is to much. In addition the Mushishi OST is not as magical without the sparkle of the highs and the rich mids, the mad dogs have the wonderful mids but they over power the highs. 

Although the Seiken Denetsu 3 ost, sounds really nice on the Mad Dogs, it's such a HIGH ENERGY ost, that again a Laid Back can does it some good. Plus even with a THICK tube the mids could be a little more in this ost, since the wood winds r the focus if a lot of songs. Plus the BIG sound stage of the dt 880 makes the track less engaging. This ost is a funny one and prefers to be extra warm... Mad Dogs :D nice job ;3

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #4,183 of 6,388
If properly configured there really aren't any drawbacks compared to other digital media (or anything but vinyl really)... The convenience factor is huge tho, as I'm sure you got a taste of with MOG. Mind you, I'm still in favor of buying CDs for artists I really enjoy just so I can rip it myself...

This is what I do too. Spotify to sample, but and rip the stuff I like to ALAC.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #4,184 of 6,388
Quote:
How do your 1964 V3s  compare to the mad dogs? Thinking of getting them as a graduation gift for myself...

Different. I would say they compare to eachother, but the Mad Dogs sounds bigger. The V3's are a great buy and the best sounding IEM I have heard, but as far as sound quality goes I think I have to give the upper hand to the Mad Dog (alpha pads). However as a easy portable solution and with excellent isolation the V3's wins. If I am commuting, in town or at a busy cafe, I have a better listening experience with the V3's. At home and around the office I use the Mad Dogs. The V3's are a bit bassier and abit more forgiving, but they share the overall smoothnes of the Mad Dogs. Hope this helps! 

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #4,185 of 6,388
Quote:

Different. I would say they compare to eachother, but the Mad Dogs sounds bigger. The V3's are a great buy and the best sounding IEM I have heard, but as far as sound quality goes I think I have to give the upper hand to the Mad Dog (alpha pads). However as a easy portable solution and with excellent isolation the V3's wins. If I am commuting, in town or at a busy cafe, I have a better listening experience with the V3's. At home and around the office I use the Mad Dogs. The V3's are a bit bassier and abit more forgiving, but they share the overall smoothnes of the Mad Dogs. Hope this helps! 

Is the bass on the V3s as textured and detailed as the mad dogs? Or is it a bit more boomy?
Also, I've heard that the V3's soundstage is quite intimate, any comparisons between them in that area?
Thanks for your help. I'll probably try and sneak in a demo of the V3s on my trip to Portland...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back