"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 7, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #4,006 of 6,388
OK. :confused: Then I think I'll pass this one.

I suggest you read the website for the Mad Dogs. Dan explains the hundreds of hours put into finding the right combinations and then testing until the sound was just right.
Sure you could make the stock phones sound better with modding and even have that sense of accomplishment, but it's unlikely they will sound as good as the Mad Dogs. Save yourself the time / money / frustration and join the doggers.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #4,007 of 6,388
Quote:
Is that the only difference?
confused.gif

What did you expect the differences to be?  While I think that was oversimplified and intended to answer the question of why they weigh more than the stock T50RP, there's not really much else you can do.  There aren't many other options remaining for altering the sound short of new cups or drivers.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #4,008 of 6,388
Mar 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #4,009 of 6,388
Quote:

Besides the vmoda cable, are there any other after market cables available for the MD? I actually like the vmoda cable but it's just a bit too short. 

There are lots of 3.5mm-3.5mm cables out there. A fair number with one right angle plug (straight plugs look funny sticking out of the cup, because the plug is on the side of the cup) as well.

A while ago I bought this one for my T50rp (stock) because I didn't like the weight exerted on my headphone amp by the long 1/4" plug and adapter of the stock cable: 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882203143

There are longer and shorter ones of the same style as well.

While that's about the upper end of what I'd pay for a standard-sized headphone wire (obviously something with proprietary connectors will be more, just because proprietary connectors are a means of rent-seeking), I assume that people who suffer from wire-religion disorder can find something that does the same job just as well for a vastly inflated price.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #4,010 of 6,388
I don't quite understand the swaying of choice between buying a headphone that is slightly heavier vs. slightly lighter.  The MD will be a heavy headphone mod or not, am I correct? Overall a little bit of weight to improve sound is usually always welcome as that is why we usually go from one headphone to another.

I think one of the downfall of the Mad dog is the thought of it being a Mod that people who never done Mod before (Me included) have to overcome the idea it can indeed make a difference in sound.  I still have a hard time choosing between the Mad Dog and the HE400 because considering the two headphone can be swing towards in either direction.  it's like choosing a new headphone vs. a practically new used headphone, people normally just like the idea that it's untouched. Then again, the MD are good enough that people are still buying it regardless of what it is because it sounds good.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #4,011 of 6,388
There are lots of 3.5mm-3.5mm cables out there. A fair number with one right angle plug (straight plugs look funny sticking out of the cup, because the plug is on the side of the cup) as well.

A while ago I bought this one for my T50rp (stock) because I didn't like the weight exerted on my headphone amp by the long 1/4" plug and adapter of the stock cable: 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882203143

There are longer and shorter ones of the same style as well.

While that's about the upper end of what I'd pay for a standard-sized headphone wire (obviously something with proprietary connectors will be more, just because proprietary connectors are a means of rent-seeking), I assume that people who suffer from wire-religion disorder can find something that does the same job just as well for a vastly inflated price.

No matter which side of cable debate you support, do you mind not crapping the thread with cable sound opinions? Suggesting alternative cables for custom lengths or reduction of tangling or microphonics is harmless, but getting into whether or not they make a difference in the sound is asking for the thread to get closed like the last HD800 appreciation thread.

Thanks for the alternative suggestion from Newegg though.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #4,013 of 6,388
Quote:
Are you referring to the wire that's run through the headband? I haven't had issues and haven't heard of any. I've transported one of my pairs loose in my backpack in multiple occasions.

I don't have the wire. :xf_eek: BTG

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #4,014 of 6,388
Quote:
I don't have the wire. :xf_eek: BTG

I suppose that will be an option for me if the wire ever breaks.

The stock design is a bit worrisome to me, as I have been using these headphones between home and work while my Denons are being modded.  I've just been carefully placing them in a cloth bag for the last 3 weeks on my daily commute.  I've been very careful with them, but the wires stick out a bit just begging to be hooked by something.  

The reason I'm having my D5000 recabled is because I am constantly having the plastic piece where the cable splits catching on my computer desk when I sit up straight, nearly tugging the headphones off my head at times.  I was getting tired of the mini-heart attacks it would give me every time this happened. 
eek.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #4,017 of 6,388
Quote:
Brian does exceptionally nice work!! I have used him a couple of times now with very good results.  

I'm debating on having him do my recable when I get my pair, though I may just do it myself.  I'm not sure how sensitive the insides are, as in if it's easy to open them without disrupting any of the modifications that Dan performs, so I may just leave it up to someone with experience. 
cool.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #4,018 of 6,388
I would send it in to Brian. I believe that he is actually who Dan refers people to who want dual entry...please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #4,019 of 6,388
BTG and Moon Audio both have done nice mods and know how to work with the phones.  I would not recommend trying to recable, a mistake can destroy the phone.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #4,020 of 6,388
Quote:
I would send it in to Brian. I believe that he is actually who Dan refers people to who want dual entry...please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Quote:
BTG and Moon Audio both have done nice mods and know how to work with the phones.  I would not recommend trying to recable, a mistake can destroy the phone.

I figured as much...thanks for the clarification!  Definitely better safe than sorry.  Plus, I am also a fan of supporting small specialty companies, so it's a win-win.  I'll definitely be in touch with Brian when the time comes, he seems to be highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back