"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Sep 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,127 of 6,388
Quote:
Anyone got info the orders are shipped?
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

They are 1/3 shipped, the next third go soon.  Your should be there today or tomorrow.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #1,129 of 6,388
So for my first step into the world of high quality home audio I ordered a pair of these headphones and I'm looking to get an amp that will properly drive them.
I've heard some people talking about the Lyr but I was wondering if anyone knew if a Bottlehead Crack would be up to the task and if so which would be more worth my time.

(I know its largely subjective but I appreciate any input!)

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #1,131 of 6,388
Quote:
So for my first step into the world of high quality home audio I ordered a pair of these headphones and I'm looking to get an amp that will properly drive them.
I've heard some people talking about the Lyr but I was wondering if anyone knew if a Bottlehead Crack would be up to the task and if so which would be more worth my time.

Power is not an issue between those two. I would probably have to recommend the Lyr because of its lower output impedance. The Crack is nice, but is really mostly optimal on high impedance headphones (120 ohms +) as it is an OTL amp. The Lyr seems to be much more suitable for the relatively low impedance (50 ohms) of the Mad Dogs.

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #1,132 of 6,388
I would probably follow this recommendation.  I've got two OTL headamps plus the Schiit Asgard.  I love tubes, and really enjoy the OTL's with my HD650's and ATH M-50's, but the Mad Dogs sound better on my Asgard than with either of my OTL headphone amps.  If you'd like to do tubes with them, I'd suggest trying to hunt down a Decware Taboo with the headphone out.

Quote:

Power is not an issue between those two. I would probably have to recommend the Lyr because of its lower output impedance. The Crack is nice, but is really mostly optimal on high impedance headphones (120 ohms +) as it is an OTL amp. The Lyr seems to be much more suitable for the relatively low impedance (50 ohms) of the Mad Dogs.

Quote:

Sep 21, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #1,133 of 6,388
Quote:
the Mad Dogs sound better on my Asgard than with either of my OTL headphone amps

You've just made me very happy! Can't wait to try them with mine. 

What do you think of your 650 out of the asgard? It's the only real amp I got right now and I thought they worked pretty nice with the cans (but you need to turn the knob a lot higher), but I'd love input from someone with tube amps too.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #1,134 of 6,388
Just got my mad dogs with dog pads today. I will post some impressions and comparisons tomorrow after i get some time with them but so far so good. I can say however that they are VERY comfortable.

More to come.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #1,137 of 6,388
I just got my mad dogs!  First off the these are really comfy headphones!  I will comment on sound when I get some burn in time on them.  my setup is

Ibasso D7 (with spdif out coax)--AVA vision dac-- Decware mini torrii.  I use to own the LCD2 rev 1 but sold them  due to the weight on the head and so far the mad dogs are light and comfy...loving it.

enjoy all

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #1,138 of 6,388
Both candidates for Speaker Headphones of the House are now in attendance! After hearing them debate a few (musical) issues, I can tell it will be a tight race...

Stay tuned for news at 11!   
beyersmile.png

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #1,139 of 6,388

Interested in hearing your Mad Dog / HE-400 comparisons.

Unfortunately i have the HE-4's not the HE-400's, but i will do a comparison between the two as well as the LCD-2 Rev 2.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #1,140 of 6,388
Quote:
You've just made me very happy! Can't wait to try them with mine. 

What do you think of your 650 out of the asgard? It's the only real amp I got right now and I thought they worked pretty nice with the cans (but you need to turn the knob a lot higher), but I'd love input from someone with tube amps too.

I wish I could really give you that opinion, but my Asgard and Mad Dogs are my work setup, so they're currently a half hour drive away from me.  I can definitely say that the HD 650's make for a great combo with a Decware CSP2+, but I haven't really tried anything else with the Asgard yet.  I intend to bring it home over a weekend to do some comparisons, but right now, I don't think I'll have the time until after RMAF/CanJam.  (Who knows? At that point I may have even more to throw into a comparison test).

I can say that the Asgard + Mad Dogs make for an excellent pairing even before considering the total cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back