"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Aug 21, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #796 of 6,388
Some of the comments in this thread have me wondering if something is wrong with my mad dogs. I really like them and use them at work often where I need something closed but at home I would never choose them over my He-400s.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #797 of 6,388
You're talking about apples and oranges...closed vs open. Maybe you just prefer an open hp. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #800 of 6,388
Quote:
why even compare them to these open highend-cans.
i would much rather see comparisons with the dt1350/hd25, v-moda m80 etc.

Some find the Mad Dogs perform comparatively well to open top tier headphones.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #801 of 6,388
Quote:
why even compare them to these open highend-cans.
i would much rather see comparisons with the dt1350/hd25, v-moda m80 etc.

I would compare them to those headphones because I think they're comparable to them (HD650, Symphones Magnum, LCD3) in quality.

I had briefly used a DT1350 and a Senn HD25-1-II and the Mad Dogs are significantly better than them in my experience. it's not even a fair fight, really. They're not as portable or easy to drive, but the SQ is much better. sound is more open, less congested, frequency response is more natural.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #803 of 6,388
I think they're worthy of a little hype. Of course, I had grouped three headphones together in my previous post as points of comparison. to be clear, I think the MD trade blows with the HD650, are better than the Magnum (more neutral, which is to my taste) and not as good as the LCD3.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #804 of 6,388
Quote:
Wow, sounds like overhyping for me. I just cant believe it until I try it out myself
That being said, I just ordered one...
How long does it take to ship to eu?

Over hype?  I don't see how that applies here.  We have nothing to gain from promoting the product.  At least I don't.  I'm just posting my impression of them.

Like I said before, when I first got them, they sounded good.  I just didn't think they were as great as every one made them out to be.  I didn't read it on line and assume that - I felt that as I was listening to them, and then swapping them out for my LCD-2s/HE-500s.

I decided I was going to return them.  I contacted Dan, explained why, and that was that.  I then left town for one week.  I was unable to listen to headphones during that week.  I came back and went straight back to listening to my LCD-2s.

I decided I would give the Mad Dogs one last listen before sending them back to Dan.  That was a week ago.  Now I pick them up and listen to them almost every time.

I don't want to call it burn-in, but I do strongly feel that the sound changed...whether or not it was that week I was away, or just the hours I've put on them...these things are incredible for the price and are extremely comfortable.  I recommend when you get them, don't write them off within the first few hours.

Put on a variety of good tracks, sit back, relax, browse the forums, and just listen.  Before you realize it, if it is anything like it was for me, you will realize you are not wearing your LCD-2s or your HE-500s, but a 250$ pair of headphones that make you forget that you ARE NOT wearing those headphones.  That's the incredible thing about them...at least to me.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #805 of 6,388
Quote:
Wow, sounds like overhyping for me. I just cant believe it until I try it out myself
That being said, I just ordered one...
How long does it take to ship to eu?

Overhyped how? Would be interested in your impressions if or when you get them. I'd also be
interested in what headphones you've actually extensively heard or owned.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #806 of 6,388
Quote:
Some of the comments in this thread have me wondering if something is wrong with my mad dogs. I really like them and use them at work often where I need something closed but at home I would never choose them over my He-400s.

Could you elaborate please? I'm very interested in your opinion.
Quote:
You're talking about apples and oranges...closed vs open. Maybe you just prefer an open hp. 
biggrin.gif

About this whole open vs. closed headphones thing: although there are stereotypical sound signatures associated with closed or open cans, I don't find it appropriate to categorize them as such. For instance, closed headphones are usually synonymous with small/cramped soundstage and good isolation, but the Denon Dx000 series or the Fostex TH900s seem to disprove that, just as most of the Grado models go against the notion that open headphones have a more airy and large soundstage. I think that every pair of headphones should be comparable to each other, regardless of whether they're open or closed.

Anyway, my point is, it's hardly apples and oranges. There are many who care about SQ above all else, and anything goes when it come to that. If closed headphones out-perform open headphones, then I'll choose the closed cans. The isolation and/or portability is just a bonus.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #807 of 6,388
I don't know about overhype but the only other set of very good (on my scale) headphones I've had the chance to compare the MD to are the D5000 and I honestly prefer the MD. I can't talk about specifics really, since I haven't rigorously A/B'd them or anything, but the whole non-fatiguing nature of the sound gets me. That and I definitely do not feel like I'm missing any detail, perhaps the opposite.

Received my ODAC today, the MD seem to scale nicely. Although DACs shouldn't really make that much difference, I very much prefer the ODAC to my previous uDac2. Be it psychoacoustic or "real." Right now it seems like I won't be getting anything done today, besides revisiting my music library once again.

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #808 of 6,388
Quote:

I would compare them to those headphones because I think they're comparable to them (HD650, Symphones Magnum, LCD3) in quality.

I had briefly used a DT1350 and a Senn HD25-1-II and the Mad Dogs are significantly better than them in my experience. it's not even a fair fight, really. They're not as portable or easy to drive, but the SQ is much better. sound is more open, less congested, frequency response is more natural.

Listened to the MD's a whole evening, about 4-5 albums straight with a Linn DS player feeding a Little Dot I+ with Sylvania 408A's. That session did not change my perception of them. Again, very effortless presentation overall. Balance to the warm side and non-fatiguing.
But mentally it was very fatiguing: bass-notes still a blur. I got my girlfriend to listen to them and that was the first thing she said without me even having mentioned anything. She's doing her thesis at a school which is basically going to be a gospel/funk big band performance with many vocalists. A big part of that is tabbing notes from certain pieces for the whole band that's playing with her. Needless to say, those musical genres are melodically and rhythmically quite rich. Anyway, these headphones did make the process very difficult for her, especially for tabbing bass. She's a trumpet player so I asked what she thought of the reproduction there: basically no problem and very clean presentation with no fatigue. Big plus. I thought personally that when playing at moderate volumes, the highest of the highest notes (represented pitch) are not as distinct as on a bit brighter headphones.
I also noticed that I kept pushing the volume to above normal listening levels to escape the bass, so to speak. Maybe my hearing isn't as good in higher registers...

Anyway, my point being that it really was a fair fight. For instance, the DT1350 bass-performance is better I think. And I'm not talking about signature preferences, but discerning musical detail. Also the relatively poor and steeply recessed bass (on paper!) of the K272HD was much better. No, it didn't go that low. Few headphones go as low as clean as the MD, but those lowest notes don't hold much musical detail and 95% of the music I listen to doesn't offer much down there anyway. 

Edit: I also have to add, that I think the MD's did not necessarily bring anything to the table the DT1350 hadn't already done, detail wise. Obviously quite different, but overall I could find myself more merged into the music with the little Beyers. Maybe the balance for the slight high-lighting of the mid to top mid and treble suits me better as well, without wobbly bass to distract me from the music. 

Well, just so this doesn't turn into a fanatic appreciation thread, I thought I'd offer some criticism. I think it's only fair for those thinking of getting these. For the price they do some things very well. But for a man of musicality, he should look elsewhere. 
Can't comment on sound stage, since I don't really listen to it, unless it contributes to effortless distinction of instruments and notes. But I've found it necessarily doesn't at least above other elements of music reproduction. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #809 of 6,388
Quote:

Listened to the MD's a whole evening, about 4-5 albums straight with a Linn DS player feeding a Little Dot I+ with Sylvania 408A's. That session did not change my perception of them. Again, very effortless presentation overall. Balance to the warm side and non-fatiguing.
But mentally it was very fatiguing: bass-notes still a blur. I got my girlfriend to listen to them and that was the first thing she said without me even having mentioned anything. She's doing her thesis at a school which is basically going to be a gospel/funk big band performance with many vocalists. A big part of that is tabbing notes from certain pieces for the whole band that's playing with her. Needless to say, those musical genres are melodically and rhythmically quite rich. Anyway, these headphones did make the process very difficult for her, especially for tabbing bass. She's a trumpet player so I asked what she thought of the reproduction there: basically no problem and very clean presentation with no fatigue. Big plus. I thought personally that when playing at moderate volumes, the highest of the highest notes (represented pitch) are not as distinct as on a bit brighter headphones.
I also noticed that I kept pushing the volume to above normal listening levels to escape the bass, so to speak. Maybe my hearing isn't as good in higher registers...

Anyway, my point being that it really was a fair fight. For instance, the DT1350 bass-performance is better I think. And I'm not talking about signature preferences, but discerning musical detail. Also the relatively poor and steeply recessed bass (on paper!) of the K272HD was much better. No, it didn't go that low. Few headphones go as low as clean as the MD, but those lowest notes don't hold much musical detail and 95% of the music I listen to doesn't offer much down there anyway. 

Edit: I also have to add, that I think the MD's did not necessarily bring anything to the table the DT1350 hadn't already done, detail wise. Obviously quite different, but overall I could find myself more merged into the music with the little Beyers. Maybe the balance for the slight high-lighting of the mid to top mid and treble suits me better as well, without wobbly bass to distract me from the music. 

Well, just so this doesn't turn into a fanatic appreciation thread, I thought I'd offer some criticism. I think it's only fair for those thinking of getting these. For the price they do some things very well. But for a man of musicality, he should look elsewhere. 
Can't comment on sound stage, since I don't really listen to it, unless it contributes to effortless distinction of instruments and notes. But I've found it necessarily doesn't at least above other elements of music reproduction. 

I'd take your word with a very fine grain of salt. What....

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #810 of 6,388

What would you recommend for some1 looking for musicality in this price range then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back