"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Aug 18, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #751 of 6,388
Can't wait to hear people's impressions from the meet, with the new pads and all. Funny how Dog Pads are one letter away from Dog Paws. Maybe someone will make a further mod and call them that.

...I'll see myself off.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #753 of 6,388
Ah, I knew Dan wasn't perfectly happy with his the latest version! :)

Been listening to mine for a few days now. True: They are never fatiguing, but very smooth from mid to top. I'm wishing for a bit more air and a slightly different balance, but could get used to them the way they are. Very comfortable. 

What's been troubling me however is the bass performance. I listen to a lot of music where the acoustic or amplified bass is in a very important role rhythmically and melodically. Compared to the K272 or DT1350 I have at hand, the MD's are monotonic. Dave Holland was a one note man... The K272 could sing in comparison. The MD goes much lower, but not really when compared to the DT1350. Obviously the balance and other characteristics are vastly different between these models and the rest could fall under subjective preference, but damn I like tuneful bass too much to like the MD's. It also had that slightly boomy character, where each note had a bit of thump and wobbliness. DT1350 in comparison hit everything clean and differentiating the pitches of each notes much better. I've listened to them quite much from artist to artist and have even tried to purposefully exit the "analytic-mode", but that only makes it worse :frowning2: You really have to concentrate to hear the musical details in the bass. Personally I have a bit of a problem with that. Could see these being used for vocal monitoring in studios however..
I will open the gates for criticism however by saying that I've driven them only with a GS Voyager through a 160gb classic (which is an excellent source, especially in comparison to many dirty low-budget desktop dacs). I have a Little Dot I+ I haven't dusted off in a while. Maybe I should plug that into my Linn DS player and give them another try, but for the moment I'm really hesitant to order the extra pads too see whether it's worth another 50usd + customs + vat. 
They could function as a multi purpose desktop can for me, but if they need that much juice they're not going to cut it for me as a portable. I'd have been willing to cope with the size even.. 

Dan's been a pleasure to deal with and I was hesitant at first to post anything. But seeing how he's still trying to perfect his product, I thought I would after all. Guess a bit of power could cure my nit bits; we'll see. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #754 of 6,388
I'm not sure if I'm reading it right but I think the GS voyager only outputs 10 mW into 32 ohms (from the website)

If that's right then there's no way that's enough power for the mad dogs.

Anyways, I remember we had some posts discussing MD bass performance and I said it was good but not as good as the Audeze cans. If you're really, really into bass in a big way and don't want it to be comprimised, the LCD2 and 3 are still the way to go. Of course those aren't portable either and require another serious amp to sound great.

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #755 of 6,388
Hi all,

There is no wifi in my part of the hall and it has been pretty busy... The pads will hopefully be online for orders on Sunday. The hang up is getting my system to not charge postage.

Also, during the preorder period the pad upgrade is actually $40.

Dan

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 18, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #756 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm reading it right but I think the GS voyager only outputs 10 mW into 32 ohms (from the website)
If that's right then there's no way that's enough power for the mad dogs.
Anyways, I remember we had some posts discussing MD bass perfoance and I said it was good but not as good as the Audeze cans. If you're really, really into bass in a big way and don't want it to be comprimised, the LCD2 and 3 are still the way to go. Of course those aren't portable either and require another serious amp to sound great.

I had the LCD-2 and didn't like it too much.

But yeah, don't have anything more powerful than the LD hybrid... Will check it out. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #757 of 6,388
Quote:

I had the LCD-2 and didn't like it too much.

But yeah, don't have anything more powerful than the LD hybrid... Will check it out. 

Ah, well, to be honest, I didn't like the LCD2 much either but it was for reasons aside from the bass. I thought the bass was great but I got rid of them for other issues.

Anyway, I wouldn't give up on the MD yet. look into a more powerful portable amp if you can (and maybe the new pads will be worth it for you, too)

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #758 of 6,388
Are there any photos of the new pads yet? I only looked a few pages back, so I apologize if they've been posted or are on the Mad Dog site.

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #759 of 6,388
Quote:
Are there any photos of the new pads yet? I only looked a few pages back, so I apologize if they've been posted or are on the Mad Dog site.

Not yet.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #760 of 6,388
Quote:

Well, could you put us out of our misery and post a few?? 
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #761 of 6,388
Quote:

Well, could you put us out of our misery and post a few?? 
biggrin.gif

Pf, hell no, suffer! 
biggrin.gif

I'm putting a pre-order in, but I don't have them yet. Nor does anyone else.

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #763 of 6,388
I haven't heard the old pads.  They were there, but I frankly I didn't want to audition them at all as I'd probably end up purchasing the new pads anyway.  But I did just audition the Mad Dog with the new pads installed (at the L.A. Meet).  MacBook > Schiit DAC > Schiit Amp (can't remember which one) > Mad Dog w/comfort strap and new pads. 

I have to say that isolation was superb - as was comfort.

And as this was my first time hearing a Mad Dog, I'd also like to point out that the imaging was effing awesome - and timbral accuracy was off the scale.  He had these tracks that had an Erh-Hu (an instrument that I actually play) and the reproduction was pristine.

I didn't get to hear everything that I wanted to hear at the meet.  But from everything I did hear, the only cans that stood out for me more were a pair of Stax SR-009.

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #764 of 6,388
Quote:
I haven't heard the old pads.  They were there, but I frankly I didn't want to audition them at all as I'd probably end up purchasing the new pads anyway.  But I did just audition the Mad Dog with the new pads installed (at the L.A. Meet).  MacBook > Schiit DAC > Schiit Amp (can't remember which one) > Mad Dog w/comfort strap and new pads. 

I have to say that isolation was superb - as was comfort.

And as this was my first time hearing a Mad Dog, I'd also like to point out that the imaging was effing awesome - and timbral accuracy was off the scale.  He had these tracks that had an Erh-Hu (an instrument that I actually play) and the reproduction was pristine.

I didn't get to hear everything that I wanted to hear at the meet.  But from everything I did hear, the only cans that stood out for me more were a pair of Stax SR-009.

Off topic: But did you by chance hear some Eddie Current gear?

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #765 of 6,388
Quote:
Off topic: But did you by chance hear some Eddie Current gear?

Unfortunately no.  I was in the Vendor-side for quite a while.  By the time I started to make my way to the other rooms, it was already the end of the day.  Didn't even get a chance to audition the Orpheus and Baby Orpheus. 
frown.gif
  I rationalize it all to myself by saying there will be other meets, and that I shall go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back