"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Aug 15, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #691 of 6,388
Dan was a real pleasure to deal with, he responded to me only five minutes after i sent the email (that's pretty good considering I'm Australian and the timezones are quite conflicting). he recommended me an amp, any burson DAC to be precise.

I'm yet to get the Headphones them self so I'll post later what i think of them.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #692 of 6,388
Post back and make comparisons to other hp's that you might have owned, so that you can help others in their decisions.

thanks...

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #693 of 6,388
Quote:

It's a shame that headphones, that serve the purpose of enjoying music, have turned you away from something you used to like. I've noticed that headphones with generally fast responses and no majorly distinct peaks or resonances are much more forgiving of poor recordings or bit-rates. They reveal the crap, but it's not pronounced. I never understand when people say: "Omg this headphone is so transparent it makes crappy recordings sound like ****". With actually revealing headphones, it's quite the opposite. What have been seemingly poor prog recordings from 70s, with getting better and better gear and understanding, I've gained much more musical enjoyment out of them. Players slightly off-key, those small little nuances in a drummer's timing and general differences in phrasing, all are better distinct. If it's a somewhat distorted sound of an instrument, it doesn't get to you in an annoying way. 

Slightly OT, but what on earth is brostep? I've never been one to categorize music too much...

I might have given slightly the wrong impression. It's not that I can't enjoy hip hop or such music anymore (that's what I still always listen to on the go), but rather have found other genres to be able to produce so much more... of these subtle nuances, and indication of the artist's skill, that I rarely listen to much else at home especially seeing as I can't spend huge amounts of time just listening to music.
Brostep is a term referring to (over)commercialized dubstep. Dubstep connoisseurs feel that Skrillex & co. are a total disgrace to the genre and have coined a new term for it. I did just listen to a brostep classic (Dubba Jonny's Brief Introduction to Dubstep Production) and for sure it sounded better than on my other phones. Just not as good as so many other songs.

And then there really are quite many hip hop songs that really make you wonder about the recording equipment used since there's so much sibilance, often in sounds you'd think the artist/producer thought sounded cool and fitting but didn't actually hear well enough to tone them down, for whatever reason.

This is way off topic again. Still enjoying my MD's as much as the day I got them. Can't wait for my ODAC to arrive, might be already tomorrow.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #696 of 6,388
Quote:

I found it interesting that the reviewer was using an iPod classic as the source with the Burson amp.  If that is the only source, then the most from the Mad Dogs, nor any other headphone will be achieved.  I tried to run a similar configuration for over a year, and kept thinking that my headphones were weak.  After some sales of headphones and purchases of others, I made the leap into using better sources.  At the minimum, a Squeezebox pushing FLAC files and either the built-in Burr-Brown DAC, or some alternatives.  That's when I really started to realize the potential in the headphones themselves.  I still use the iPod classic, but mainly at work while driving higher efficiency headphones which don't necessarily benefit from a better amp, and, at times, tend to work quite well of just the iPod power.

If you own the Mad Dogs, you got to feed 'em.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #699 of 6,388
Doesn't really seem to be a review that holds any real weight. Maybe he should have let his partner Moko do the review. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #700 of 6,388
It seems like an okay review to me.

He can see the merits, and acknowledges them, but isn't after that kind of headphone.

a bass lacking version

Aren't the newest version the "bass lacking version"? Neither really does... then again, I'm used to the 598.

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #701 of 6,388
Quote:

He can see the merits, and acknowledges them, but isn't after that kind of headphone.

This is what I'm thinking. Although, he said that they were weak in three dimensionality and I don't quite hear that. There's a good, layered soundstage. Maybe he meant laterally and in height, which is a bit small compared to some larger, open headphones.

Bass impact is OK. it's not Audeze level but it's not muddled and lacking definition, either.

I can see why someone wanting a more bass-heavy sound (or a more exciting sound), may be unimpressed with the MD on first listen. But I think the relative flatness of the MD is a strength.

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #702 of 6,388
Quote:

Aren't the newest version the "bass lacking version"? Neither really does... then again, I'm used to the 598.

I disagree. Throw in a good source for some credibility. 

And no, the newer versions have improved bass. I had the Mad Dogs with the Fischer 003 pads, Shure 840 pads provide more balance and fuller bass than the latter.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #703 of 6,388
Quote:

I found it interesting that the reviewer was using an iPod classic as the source with the Burson amp.  If that is the only source, then the most from the Mad Dogs, nor any other headphone will be achieved.  I tried to run a similar configuration for over a year, and kept thinking that my headphones were weak.  After some sales of headphones and purchases of others, I made the leap into using better sources.  At the minimum, a Squeezebox pushing FLAC files and either the built-in Burr-Brown DAC, or some alternatives.  That's when I really started to realize the potential in the headphones themselves.  I still use the iPod classic, but mainly at work while driving higher efficiency headphones which don't necessarily benefit from a better amp, and, at times, tend to work quite well of just the iPod power.

If you own the Mad Dogs, you got to feed 'em.

I'm not quite with you on this one wje.
biggrin.gif
 I use mine daily with an ipod classic 5.5 and strapped to the e17 and honestly I don't feel that I'm missing much of anything from my nfb5 setup. 
ph34r.gif
 If I really listen comparatively there are some subtle differences but only subtle nontheless. That's what I hear anyway. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #704 of 6,388
Mike didn't seem to have a problem with either the Senns HD700s regarding bass impact but he does with this one? LOL ... (he would have been going crazy then with those Senns...) Anyway, it seems he just doesn't like those Fostex overall... 

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #705 of 6,388
It's interesting how his perception and that of his pro customers were somewhat different.  I appreciate that he included that.  

I have worked with a few pros, too, during the tuning process, one rather extensively.  They have a very different approach to hearing a phone.  I learned a lot from the experience.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back