"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Sep 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,051 of 6,388
Quote:
Okay, I've done some looking, and I cannot for the LIFE of me find where to order these. Do I just message mrspeakers or something?

Also, I've read this works well with the E11, is that right?

If your budget is somewhat constrained - since you're considering the FiiO E11, you might want to consider the E9 instead.  I has more power than the E11.  Also, the E9 can often be found used on the forum here for good prices.  New, it only runs about $109.00.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #1,053 of 6,388
It must be said though, that the e9 is not portable. This may be a newb question, but would just using to e11's give it enough power, or would some problem arise with that? I really don't understand why the power it needs relies on the number of channels it's coming through.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #1,054 of 6,388
Could someone who owns a pair of Mad Dogs give a listen to a song for me? I am looking for a nice pair of cans mainly for metal (it will be a while before I have to funds to purchase them though). My main criteria is that they do well with detail, imaging, and speed. I think that is the best way to describe it. It is really better if you give the song below a listen and see for yourself though. Hearing the different instruments and having enough kick for the overall sound is something that is a must.
It would be greatly appreciated if someone with a pair could respond and let me know how they do.
(I can't get the video inserter to work, sorry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmql7gyPy38

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #1,055 of 6,388
Quote:
Could someone who owns a pair of Mad Dogs give a listen to a song for me? I am looking for a nice pair of cans mainly for metal (it will be a while before I have to funds to purchase them though). My main criteria is that they do well with detail, imaging, and speed. I think that is the best way to describe it. It is really better if you give the song below a listen and see for yourself though. Hearing the different instruments and having enough kick for the overall sound is something that is a must.
It would be greatly appreciated if someone with a pair could respond and let me know how they do.
(I can't get the video inserter to work, sorry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmql7gyPy38

Got your PM,

Sorry, my Paradoxs are at LFFs getting re tuned.  I'll have them back in a few weeks.  I really don't listen to youtube music.  Is there a flac file that cab be downloaded?

The Mad Dogs are a great headphone I'm sure it will fit your criteria.  The Paradox is more of a Flat across the board headphone compared to the Mad Dogs that excels in it's Bass response. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #1,056 of 6,388
This is the best that I can do. The whole album is available here.
I only used youtube so that it would be quick. Sorry for any inconvenience.

http://kat.ph/ne-obliviscaris-portal-of-i-2012-eac-flac-t6477546.html

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #1,057 of 6,388
Sep 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #1,058 of 6,388
A mate of mine's amp decided to break, so he's letting me borrow his pair for a while since they won't be in use until he gets a new one.
I'll post back with my impressions, but don't expect much considering how new I am to this and how I won't be able to drive them properly (my only amp is a fiio E7).

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #1,059 of 6,388
Quote:
Well - he did the bass tweak on mine as well - so yes more bass response.  I can't say if it's from the pads of the tweak he did.

Wait...bass tweak? I'm not aware of any tweaking on the phones expect for his mad dog mod. Did I miss something?

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,062 of 6,388
I use my Mad Dogs at work with a Schiit Asgard.  It has plenty of isolation to keep out the AC and server noise (office chatter too).  It has more than enough power (pretty loud at 12:00/ damn loud at 2:00).  Timbre, detail/speed, and frequency response are all great.  I've tested it with Jazz, punk, ska, funk, R & B, rap, dubstep, electro, salsa, country, and classical music (it handles all even-handedly).  The Mad Dogs also sound natural on talk radio.  There are very little to no microphonics when contacting the cord, and they're probably the most comfortable cans I've ever owned (note that I have the 840 pads not the Dog Pads).  

Sorry about the tangents, my main reason for posting was to give a quick impression of the Mad Dogs with the Asgard and to confirm that it's a good match with plenty of power.  I've really been itching to try them with the Lyr (even more power with a little dose of that tube magic), but at $249 (or ~190-200 used), the Asgard is a great match.  If you need a more portable amp, I'm afraid I can't help.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #1,063 of 6,388
Quote:

Yep - i broke them..  Well not me but the guy who did the paint job / re cable on them.

Did he break them taking them apart or, er, trying to? 

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #1,064 of 6,388
Quote:
I use my Mad Dogs at work with a Schiit Asgard.  It has plenty of isolation to keep out the AC and server noise (office chatter too).  It has more than enough power (pretty loud at 12:00/ damn loud at 2:00).  Timbre, detail/speed, and frequency response are all great.  I've tested it with Jazz, punk, ska, funk, R & B, rap, dubstep, electro, salsa, country, and classical music (it handles all even-handedly).  The Mad Dogs also sound natural on talk radio.  There are very little to no microphonics when contacting the cord, and they're probably the most comfortable cans I've ever owned (note that I have the 840 pads not the Dog Pads).  

Sorry about the tangents, my main reason for posting was to give a quick impression of the Mad Dogs with the Asgard and to confirm that it's a good match with plenty of power.  I've really been itching to try them with the Lyr (even more power with a little dose of that tube magic), but at $249 (or ~190-200 used), the Asgard is a great match.  If you need a more portable amp, I'm afraid I can't help.

Just wondering how these sounded with dubstep and electro? Do they have enough slam? What other headphones do you own? How do the mad dogs compare? 

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #1,065 of 6,388
Quote:
Wait...bass tweak? I'm not aware of any tweaking on the phones expect for his mad dog mod. Did I miss something?

There was a short run of exactly 11 headphones in late May/early June that had inadequate bass due to a manufacturing issue.  I recalled and repaired or replaced all of these.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back