"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Feb 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #3,092 of 6,388
Happy I have been waiting, they sound even much more temppting now due to the even better comfort as I was afraid of the depth in the cups. A new order will be there soon when i have gotten a answear if the wife has bought them for my birthday or not =).

Keep up the good work Dan

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #3,093 of 6,388
Anybody with a big head use these? With the HE-400 + a comfort headband and the pleathers, I have the stretch the band all the way for it to fit comfortably on my head and around my ears. Could anybody with both compare? Do the Mad Dogs get there?

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #3,094 of 6,388
I read that when you compare the Mad dogs with dog pads you had much more room for a bigger head than what you got with a Beyerdynamic. For me I have my Beyers at max and theese are said to be bigger and I got a pretty big head.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #3,095 of 6,388
Quote:
There is some pretty exciting news here people. I was fortunate enough to be part of a test group for the new Alpha Pads. I've spent the past few weeks auditioning and discussing the changes these new pads bring to the table. Most of you know that I'm a big fan of the MD. Let me go on record to say that the new MD, has now been elevated to the next level. The bass, voicing, imagining, soundstage have all made impressive and measurable improvements. 

The exciting part is that is that Dan has been able to keep the price the same!! Appreciable better MD's at the same price. All of these changes will be fleshed out and shared. Please feel free to ask questions about specific changes. There are several that were part of the group that will be sure to oblige. 

Great work Dan!!

A big +1 on this.
I was also part of the testing group,and this is a MAJOR upgrade
Let me but it this way---I haven't picked up my HD800's or, He-6's since I got the new..Now called...Alphadogs.
Now ,one of the most comfortable headphones out there..rich deep clean sound
Anyone on the fence about these...just do it...don't think about it.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #3,096 of 6,388
A little question what is required of power to satisfy the Mad Dog to perform well?

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #3,097 of 6,388
Kinda sucks for the people who got the MD's during the holidays (me).  Ah well, I'm happy for now.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #3,098 of 6,388
Hi Dan, I have a couple questions about the Alpha pads before I buy them.
1: Do you plan to do any measurements of the MDs with the new dog pads?
2: How large are these pads compared to the Dog pads? My ears are just slightly too large to fit all the way in the dog pads...

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #3,099 of 6,388
Dan has measurements up on his website, though it looks as though he has not provided a direct comparison on there between the dog pads and the alpha pads. Dan shared some comparison measurements with the beta testers, but I will leave it up to him whether or not he posts those.

I'm not one for huge impressions generally, but I'll put in information when I can and am happy to answer any questions. I might also try to get up pics.

The new pads are awesome. The comfort far exceeds that of the dog pads (it's a big difference). The sound change is a bit more subtle, but very welcome. They still sound like the Mad Dog, but refined. Mids are more present. Sound is more spacious and perhaps airier. Overall I get a greater sense of clarity and less congestion. It's also easier to get a good, sustainable seal with the new pads.

Installation is quite easy as mentioned.

And Dan isn't charging extra for a more premium product.

Get the new pads.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #3,100 of 6,388
Quote:
Hi Dan, I have a couple questions about the Alpha pads before I buy them.
1: Do you plan to do any measurements of the MDs with the new dog pads?
2: How large are these pads compared to the Dog pads? My ears are just slightly too large to fit all the way in the dog pads...

I'll try to post before/after on the pads today.  The pads are quite a bit deeper, deeper than Stax's angled pads.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #3,101 of 6,388
Quote:
Dan has measurements up on his website, though it looks as though he has not provided a direct comparison on there between the dog pads and the alpha pads. Dan shared some comparison measurements with the beta testers, but I will leave it up to him whether or not he posts those.

I'm not one for huge impressions generally, but I'll put in information when I can and am happy to answer any questions. I might also try to get up pics.

The new pads are awesome. The comfort far exceeds that of the dog pads (it's a big difference). The sound change is a bit more subtle, but very welcome. They still sound like the Mad Dog, but refined. Mids are more present. Sound is more spacious and perhaps airier. Overall I get a greater sense of clarity and less congestion. It's also easier to get a good, sustainable seal with the new pads.

Installation is quite easy as mentioned.

And Dan isn't charging extra for a more premium product.

Get the new pads.

Would you say they are any larger than the dog pads? As I said before, for some reason, especially with my left ear, the Dog Pads don't quite fit all the way over my ear, and I get discomfort after listening for a few hours. But it definitely sounds like something I'd like to get. If they have better comfort, that all but seals the deal for me.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #3,102 of 6,388
Quote:
Working on the newsletter.  My hosting service continues to disappoint. 

No it isn't!!!
(Have received like 2 test emails and the original newsletter twice...)

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #3,103 of 6,388
Quote:
A little question what is required of power to satisfy the Mad Dog to perform well?

Haha, they are as hard to drive as LCD-2. Not sure if anyone can get anything remotely good out of them with portable setup. I use GS-1 in high gain, volume at 12 o'clock, bit higher than LCD-2.2 as MD are darker and need more volume to sound more or less engaging.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #3,104 of 6,388
Thanks Andrew, anyone else who can also bring some examples on what they use to power them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back