"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,651 of 6,388
@wofetan, he meant stock T50rp, with no mods.

Here's the CSD that Dan posted here before. not the same scale as those on the site now.

MD Shure 840 pads above

MD Dog Pads above

FR:

MD Shure 840 pads above (L&R channels)

MD Dog Pads above

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #1,652 of 6,388
Ah, didn't see those. 

Thanks very much!

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #1,653 of 6,388

Coming to the Mad Dogs...damn they are really good. It put my Beyer COP to shame. I'm also having a tough time going back to my K550s.
[/quote]

THIS is what I wanted to know!!!! I am torn between the MD's and 550's though the %%0's can be had very cheaply here in the UK.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #1,656 of 6,388
How do the MadDog's fair with poorly recorded material (loudness war/lack of dynamic range)?

I wouldn't mind an answer from the engineer himself on this one as well, MrSpeakers. :)

Thank you.

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #1,657 of 6,388
I personally find them to be both quite accurate and resolving, yet very musical and forgiving of poorly recorded material.  I think the slightly rolled off, or at least not accentuated treble helps here.  This is where the loudness wars, or lossy compressed music seem to affect me most.

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,658 of 6,388
I actually think aamefford hit it on the head for my experience.  The worst recordings to my ear are over compressed, with hot highs.  I can't take shrillness.  Because there are no resonances at high frequencies, the Mad Dog will play back what is in the recording, but it won't add insult to injury by exaggerating already problematic highs. 

There are a few recordings where I used to like the music but had a hard time actually listening to due to production issues, and I now find them to be more OK.  A few recordings that are too dark are still too dark and while I can listen, they don't engage me.  One recent remaster of a classic rock album had no energy at all above 10K, and it's just boring on whatever I listen to it on.

It's a hard question, and YMMV, as what people hear as a "bad" recording surely varies a lot based on source, genre, and personal tastes, and that will change perception of how those recordings are handled, by the Mad Dog or any other phone...  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #1,659 of 6,388
Well, I've had a pretty ridiculous day for audio gear issues. I've got both the 840 and Dog Pad versions here at home to do some comparisons and have been eager to do so. Here's what's gone wrong:

- My Decware CSP2+ has developed a low level hum. I can't isolate through normal channels (testing for a ground loop, rolling different tubes, changing sources, opening up the unit to test for loose joints, etc.)
- I developed a loud hiss when playing via my Denon 3910 --> Modwright SWL9.0se --> Decware Taboo/Dynaco ST-70 (I've narrowed this down to some sort of issue with the 3910).
- While troubleshooting the above issue, I rolled the tubes in the Modwright. When I hooked it back up, I no longer get a full signal out of output number 1.
- I tried listening through the Taboo and the recordings were breaking up (at loud but not outrageous levels). I'm guessing I'm going to have to roll some more tubes through the preamp - again.

Needless to say, I haven't really been in the right frame of mind for a good comparison. I don't really trust my ears or the rest of my gear right now. The whole system has me paranoid and thinking that something else must sound wrong.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #1,660 of 6,388
Just wanted to say that I chose to return my MD's to Dan after quite a while and he was very helpful through the process. Quickly refunded as he has done everything thing else, do not hesitate to try the MD's if you need a closed can and accuracy. A+

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #1,661 of 6,388
Quote:
Just wanted to say that I chose to return my MD's to Dan after quite a while and he was very helpful through the process. Quickly refunded as he has done everything thing else, do not hesitate to try the MD's if you need a closed can and accuracy. A+

then why did you refund it?
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #1,663 of 6,388
I think he prefer the sensation of open back headphones. The MD can't deliver this.

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,665 of 6,388
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back