Macbook Pro Audio Quality
Jun 20, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #166 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't have settings to change mouse ACCELERATION! The mouse moves slower when moving it slower and faster when moving it faster. I like to use a very high sensitivity to keep the speed fast and it just moves really weirdly in the mac.

Fascinating. On my Mac, acceleration sensitivity is hidden in the Razer Pro submenu (not a feature Razer anticipated people -- including core gamers -- using often, apparently), but I've certainly set it to taste already in the past. Rather like velocity versus pressure on a MIDI keyboard -- hard to picture life without it.

Still: Since we've both found ways around the issue, it doesn't seem a terrible limitation.

I wanted to reply to a few things you said earlier:

Quote:

Mac doesn't need maintenance? How do you respond to this?

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Personally, I'd respond by quoting this bit from the site to which you've linked: "Covers OS X 10.2 through OS X 10.4. . . . Not all products mentioned, at the time of this writing, have been updated to be Intel-compatible."

In other words, the site is out of date.

But to answer your question honestly:

There's no such thing as a computer that doesn't require maintenance. One might just as usefully speak of data that doesn't have to be backed up.

Quote:

When you have about 12 programs open at the same time the OS X is really looking ugly. Windows flying everywhere.

I can't think of an OS that looks particularly graceful when the screen grows cluttered. If you've got twelve programs and their attendant windows open, then I daresay you're performing several tasks at one time. Perhaps you shouldn't be overly concerned with architectural beauty until after you clean your room! However, if you are concerned, then you might want to configure Exposé accordingly in the System Prefs menu.

Quote:

So the minimize button and close are the same damn thing in os x.

Actually, they aren't.

The effect on a parent app of pressing a window's X button is app-specific, just as it is under Windows. A few apps quit when the window is closed; many do not. Most basic OS X apps (such as TextEdit) do not, but certain utilities do (such as Disk Utility), since they have no functionality apart from working in the singular window they open.

Quote:

Have you ever had a good system failure with macs? It's about 100x harder to trace the reason for it than in Windows.

I haven't had that frustrating experience, since I've been able to trace the problem in a reasonable amount of time. I doubt the tracing was "100 x harder," since your use of hyperbole makes the task sound nearly impossible.

So far, certain of your quibbles with the Mac seem a Hank uninvolving. If you want to experience true annoyance, then connect an external HD to a Mac, open twenty folders on said HD, close out, connect the HD to your PC and look at the folders again in Windows. Now ponder the mystery of twenty new files named "DS.Store."

After you've finished kvetching about the horrors of Mac Spew and complaining no longer gives you that special electric thrill (kidding!), install OnyX on the Mac, configure it not to leave DS.Store files on external drives, and weep with gratitude knowing the mystery files will haunt ye no more.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #167 of 227
I just installed another linux distro on my laptop and I tried to get the booloader to start working with os x again. It would show the apple logo on the background, and then there would be an "X" icon over the apple logo. That is all the error message I got. It is impossible to fix such a thing,there is literally no information whatsoever. Regardless I found another guide online that showed me how to set up my bootloader properly and it is now working again.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #168 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now ponder the mystery of twenty new files named "DS.Store.

Those .DS.Store files contain individual folder prefs such as "view," etc. If you don't want to bother with Onyx to flush them there's a freebie named DSWipe that handles the job well.

BTW, after reading your first post in this thread, I think I understand why you "heart" Piranesi.
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #169 of 227
Quote:

Taunting one's misperceived adversary, however subtly, by flaming them on the basis of style is a low strategy, Steve. Participants in a civil discussion ought to be above that sort of thing. After all, I've never flamed you over punctuation, spelling or grammar (not that you're worse in that area than most other people), nor should you be flamed for such an irrelevant, disingenuous and specious reason.

If you will insist on grandiloquence, while criticising others, you should at least make the effort to consult the OED to ensure that your own writing does not follow popular misconceptions of words.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #170 of 227
Quote:

Fascinating. On my Mac, acceleration sensitivity is hidden in the Razer Pro submenu (not a feature Razer anticipated people -- including core gamers -- using often, apparently), but I've certainly set it to taste already in the past. Rather like velocity versus pressure on a MIDI keyboard -- hard to picture life without it.

Yeah that sounds good. Right now, I'm using a utility named iMousefix, but that works somewhat weirdly too. If I disable mouse acceleration it doesn't do anything, but when I drag the slider to minimum the accelaration is so slight it's acceptable.

Quote:

Still: Since we've both found ways around the issue, it doesn't seem a terrible limitation.

It's just one of those little things that keep piling up.

Quote:

There's no such thing as a computer that doesn't require maintenance. One might just as usefully speak of data that doesn't have to be backed up.

I know. I have nothing against maintenance at all, but find it just weird that Mosa500 has apparently so much trouble with viruses that he can't even boot a pc without running AVG or somesuch.

Quote:

The effect on a parent app of pressing a window's X button is app-specific, just as it is under Windows. A few apps quit when the window is closed; many do not.

It just really surprised me when I first started working with macs that after a while I had about a dozen programs open. This mac pro has 8 gigs of ram so it's not much of a concern, but with the previous mac it was a bit of an inconvenience.

Quote:

So far, certain of your quibbles with the Mac seem a Hank uninvolving. If you want to experience true annoyance, then connect an external HD to a Mac, open twenty folders on said HD, close out, connect the HD to your PC and look at the folders again in Windows. Now ponder the mystery of twenty new files named "DS.Store."

That's actually what I do regularly. Mac also creates those files when doing rendering over the network so after a couple thousand tga files things are looking pretty horrid.

I had a pretty good session the last night with the mac. Listening to some music with a hd580 plugged into a mixer and the mac, while doing editing work. Everything went pretty well. I didn't even have a single problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #171 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by mushishi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you will insist on grandiloquence, while criticising others, you should at least make the effort to consult the OED to ensure that your own writing does not follow popular misconceptions of words.

Very good, mushishi, we have progressed to dictionaries. I am utterly in concord with you in your censure of any casual tolerance of neologisms. Aristotle did not approve of the use of new denotations and other 'popular misconceptions' of words, and we can hardly say that the rules have changed since Aristotle. Indeed, I read recently that the poet laureate of England, William Davenant, did not hold that adventitious use of neologisms was licit. He also strongly disapproved of extending the right to vote or due process of law to individuals who had not been born members of the hereditary aristocracy.

I confess that I am a commoner born, and hardly able to meet the twenty-shilling per annum requirement for the right to vote for a member of parliament. I am relieved that due to an endowment by a Godly aunt, I may count myself worthy to be treated as a citizen and not as some sturdy vagrant with an over-inflated estimatation of himself, tramping the common roads, lurking in hedges with the design of belaboring the carriage trade with the well-worn but (apparently!) hardly read calf-bound duodecimo grammar employed by the unemployed pedant!

Why do you trouble to vent your spleen on an honest tradesman when you might be caning an adolescent pupil in the privacy of your own parish schoolroom! The lapse in decorum staggers me.

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #172 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since we're on the subject of how to phrase arguments to make them less objectionable, I'm going to suggest that conciseness in writing is a great virtue.

See ya
Steve

I was crawling my way through scrypt's post and I suddenly hit this. A true Coke-spewing moment.

Scrypt, I'm the type to call a spade a spade. No need to call me out for it.

*Walks away muttering*

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #173 of 227
Im glad my Logitech G7 can change sensitivity on the mouse itself. It works perfectly for windows/linux/osx with no need to install drivers in any of them. Smooth as butter too.

I have been noticing that the SQ under OSX is horrible. Obviously, this is due to using a hackintosh, but it is annoying that I really cant listen to anything at all on it. Watching movies is fine though, it seems like it only has a problem with certain apps.

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #174 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by mushishi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A few quick ironies (which I only mention because you're continuing to prate about style on an internet forum):

1. Since grandiloquence is merely ornamental language, your assertion that it is antipodal to a request for civility is, sadly, illiterate.

2. The phrase "does not follow popular misconceptions of words" is also illiterate (again -- there's no joy in the grim task of pointing that out). I believe you mean does not contain common usage errors.

This sort of thing should never come up in an internet forum. To flame people over style, spelling, etc. is to ignore what they're saying, which is the point of their being on a forum in the first place.

However, your sort of cheap shot is attempted by pseudo-grammarian trolls so frequently that it bears pointing out. Here's the usual ploy:
  • Allude vaguely to errors you can't identify and therefore fail to cite and
  • Refer inexplicitly to some reference book (in this case, the OED, which I've owned since high school; the usual claptrap involves the ever-misunderstood Elements of Style).

The result: True pretension, of which the troll professes to complain, is present in the troll's complaint. It takes the form of claims of authoritative knowledge, which the would-be complainant doesn't actually possess.

If stylistic purity (rather than mutual politeness and respect) were the aim of internet forums, then posts like yours would require a great deal of editing.

But, again, this is a headphones forum and everyone knows what you mean. Even if you had been correct, textbook flinging is no more appropriate here than it would be in casual conversation. All any grammar troll ever succeeds in doing is being petty and making harmless people feel terrible about themselves.

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #175 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was crawling my way through scrypt's post and I suddenly hit this. A true Coke-spewing moment.

And again, he aims low instead of responding with the intelligence, civility and moxie of which he is capable.

Quote:

Scrypt, I'm the type to call a spade a spade. No need to call me out for it. *Walks away muttering*

First, if you were upset about being mentioned, then say that. Don't resort to twink scores and insults.

Second, you weren't calling a spade a spade. You were labeling strangers Mac fanboys and being dismissive.

Third, I wasn't "calling you out" by mentioning this. If you were merely another troll, I wouldn't have bothered addressing you at all. But you happen to be a witty and cogent reviewer of things technical and aesthetic. If you chose to climb the high pole (Freudians: don't take note), then the petty partisanship on this thread might have at least led to your making some useful points. Instead, we're engaged in another us/them tuff-off, in this case, with high/low language taking the place of Macs and PCs.

Elsewhere, you've mentioned that you visit Head-fi less frequently of late due to a lack of time. Wouldn't your time here be more enjoyable if the discussion were a tad friendlier, h-m-m-m-m? I speak from experience, since, if you'll remember, we used to discuss gear as friends.

Jun 21, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #177 of 227
Quote:

The mac doesn't have any utility to make screencaps? I have a pretty cluttered screen at the moment, I'd like to take a cap.

Control-Command-3 is the command-key shortcut you're seeking. Additionally, Command-Shift-4 nets you a crosshair cursor with which to choose a specific part of the screen to capture. The former commands create files that appear on your desktop, but Control-Command-Shift-3 takes a screenshot and then copies it onto the clipboard, which is perhaps more convenient for chronic Photoshop tweaking.

Your other alternative (without downloading more software) is to use the screen capture features in Preview.

Jun 21, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #178 of 227
That's one of the more interesting features for OSX: key commands for everything!

I've even found one that reverses all of the colors on the screen. That one took me a while to fix...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back